Ready, Set, Charge (SF Bay Area and U.S.)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matth

I haven't seen any discussion of this document, released in November:

http://www.baclimate.org/images/stories/actionareas/ev/readysetcharge_evguidelines.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A Guide to EV-Ready Communities

Ready, Set, Charge California! was a collaborative project of the following organizations under the leadership of the Association of Bay Area Governments. It was made possible with the generous support of the Reformulated Gasoline Settlement Fund and developed in partnership with the PEV Collaborative. — November 2011

I haven't really had a chance to look at it in detail. It seems to have some potentially useful info about model codes to streamline installation of EVSEs, for example.

Reading the short section on DC fast charging was encouraging. A footnote led me to this page:

http://www.energy.ca.gov/drive/projects/ARV-10-032.html

The Energy Commission has funded a number of EV infrastructure projects, including a grant to ABAG for EVSE development:

"This project will install up to 423 charge points for the Region including 19 DC Fast Chargers, 176 Level 1 and 228 Level 2 charge points. The charging installations will serve neighborhood electric vehicles, legacy EVs that take 110 volt connections, and new EVs that require 240 volt connectors. The DC fast chargers, installed in centrally located, high use locations, will be able to serve up to eight vehicles at a time."

There are additional projects for other parts of the state.

The Bay Area Air Quality Management District says that it is coordinating funding for up to 60 DC Quick Charge stations:

The BAAQMD will also be working to provide funding for the establishment of a network of up to 50 Direct Charge (DC) fast chargers. This effort will also include a coordination component to ensure charging infrastructure is in compliance with all applicable permitting, regulations, utility and local installation requirements. This program builds on BAAQMD’s FY 2009/2010 award of $1.3 million that helped to fund 400 Level 2 J1772 chargers, 6 DC fast chargers, and the first Battery-Swap station in North America.

http://www.baaqmd.gov/Divisions/Strategic-Incentives/Bay-Area-EV-Ready/EV-Charge.aspx

I hope this isn't the equivalent of vaporware. Perhaps BAAQMD will help tackle the demand charge obstacles to QC deployment once they realize what a problem it is.

edatoakrun said:
Most interesting "factoids" I've read so far, from p 51:

100 Bay area DC chargers planned by 2011-12.

3 to 6 years (!) estimated time before the first SAE DC charge equipped cars will be built...

Translation:

Ready, Set, Wait. How government agencies and companies like Blink slow the implementation of the EVSE. 1 charger perhaps in the next year. SAE equipped cars in 7-10 with several changes each year and lots of wasted time from politics and companies that have no EVs on the road.

Back