Re: How much does a Nissan leaf and cost to Operate?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mkjayakumar said:
I just rolled into 15,000 miles this morning after 13 months of ownership. I am guessing my electricity charges at 10c per kWh would be around $375 to drive these 15K miles or around $30 a month.

Zero maintenance or service charges (touch wood) so far.

That's about dead on the Money for me as well.
Have a Blink that tells me what I use and what it costs, as well as a TED meter.

This doesn't take into account free charging at the New Nissan L3 chargers I have been using about twice a week lately.

I use about $0.02 a mile as a rule of thumb at $0.0967 per KW.

Cheap miles.
Guilt free miles
I have Books on USB, and I'll drive around for an hour in the country just to listen.... 0.02 per mile.... why not. quiet and peaceful

I'm averaging 3.95 miles/kWh, measured from the wall:
evseoutletandmeter0288s.jpg

That's at high altitude, in a moderately cool four seasons climate, with little heater use. Someone who lives in a colder climate, drives faster, drives more aggressively, or uses the heater a lot, would get worse mileage. A good hypermiler in a warm climate will do better. So, "it depends..."

At my local power rate of 13.77¢/kWh that works out to 3.4¢/mile. However, I have solar panels so my actual fuel cost is zero since last year they generated 103% of the electricity I used to fuel my car and run my house.

At current gas prices here, a 50 mpg Prius would cost about 7¢/mile for gas.

dgpcolorado said:

My wife has a Prius C and she pays just around 6 cents per mile.
But we are in NJ and Gas is cheaper here.

dgpcolorado said:
I'm averaging 3.95 miles/kWh, measured from the wall:
evseoutletandmeter0288s.jpg

That's at high altitude, in a moderately cool four seasons climate, with little heater use. Someone who lives in a colder climate, drives faster, drives more aggressively, or uses the heater a lot, would get worse mileage. A good hypermiler in a warm climate will do better. So, "it depends..."

At my local power rate of 13.77¢/kWh that works out to 3.4¢/mile. However, I have solar panels so my actual fuel cost is zero since last year they generated 103% of the electricity I used to fuel my car and run my house.

my power rates are dropping as fast as the price of gas is going up. there was a 24 cent rise in the price of gas from March 5th and March 28th. But due to various events, my total cost for charging the LEAF dropped to its lowest ever at under 9 cents per kwh.

part of it was a switch to all LED house lighting a few months ago, the time change and finally a storm taking out my yardlight. Although it has a photo eye, cloudy days will cause it to run as much as 16-18 hours a day.

DaveinOlyWA said:
my power rates are dropping as fast as the price of gas is going up. there was a 24 cent rise in the price of gas from March 5th and March 28th. But due to various events, my total cost for charging the LEAF dropped to its lowest ever at under 9 cents per kwh.

part of it was a switch to all LED house lighting a few months ago, the time change and finally a storm taking out my yardlight. Although it has a photo eye, cloudy days will cause it to run as much as 16-18 hours a day.

Let me understand. Because you use less you pay less? i.e. there are tiered rates dependant upon usage? We used to pay less for the first 2,000 kWh here in TN, but that went the way of the dodo several years ago. In TN we are paying 10c kWh, used to be 7c 6 years ago.

You use all LED's? I use a combo of LED and CFL (oh yeah and a single filament bulb thanks to the way the motion sensor in the laundry room). As much as I hate CFL's I use them in unvented enclosures. LED manufacturers advise against using LED's in locations where there isn't a change of air and/or build up of heat. All your light fittings 'open' to the air?

JPWhite said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Let me understand. Because you use less you pay less? i.e. there are tiered rates dependant upon usage? We used to pay less for the first 2,000 kWh here in TN, but that went the way of the dodo several years ago. In TN we are paying 10c kWh, used to be 7c 6 years ago.

You use all LED's? I use a combo of LED and CFL (oh yeah and a single filament bulb thanks to the way the motion sensor in the laundry room). As much as I hate CFL's I use them in unvented enclosures. LED manufacturers advise against using LED's in locations where there isn't a change of air and/or build up of heat. All your light fittings 'open' to the air?

yes. was also reminded that we recently went to air drying on the dishwasher as well.

my tier 2 rates start at 601 kwh and we used a total of 604 last month so only 4 kwh were billed at the higher rates which is roughly 2 cents more. Since I do not consider the connection charge as part of my EV usage, it caused my overall usage to be about 8.2 cents per kwh. this is the first time I have been below 9 cents and i am quite a bit below.

as far as the unvented thing? something I had not heard of before. does the lack of venting burn up the bulb quicker? I would think the lesser amount of heat buildup would compensate for that.

as far as open air fixtures, yes they all are except the overheads in the bedrooms but I would not be opposed to changing them. when we moved in, one was an open cover simply covering the socket but open towards the ceiling. we only replaced it to match the other rooms since the match was in the laundry room.

my tier two rates are also 11.2 cents per kwh but various credits drop it to 9.8 cents with tier one being about 7.8 after credits

DaveinOlyWA said:
as far as the unvented thing? something I had not heard of before. does the lack of venting burn up the bulb quicker? I would think the lesser amount of heat buildup would compensate for that.

Yes the LED bulbs will degrade faster if they get too hot. Just like the LEAF battery :)

As LED's degrade they get dimmer and will eventually fail.

Bulbs.com has info on this, I've read it elsewhere on manufacturer info as well.

Should LEDs be used in enclosed fixtures?
Not if they are completely enclosed. In order for an LED to function correctly, they must be in a non-enclosed fixture to allow for heat to dissipate from the heat sink. Otherwise, they can overheat and may fail early.
http://www.bulbs.com/learning/ledfaq.aspx#anchorenclosed

As expensive as the dern things are, I don't want to see premature wear on my LED's. Just like the LEAF battery :)

JP

JPWhite said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Yes the LED bulbs will degrade faster if they get too hot. Just like the LEAF battery :)

As LED's degrade they get dimmer and will eventually fail.

Bulbs.com has info on this, I've read it elsewhere on manufacturer info as well.

Should LEDs be used in enclosed fixtures?
Not if they are completely enclosed. In order for an LED to function correctly, they must be in a non-enclosed fixture to allow for heat to dissipate from the heat sink. Otherwise, they can overheat and may fail early.
http://www.bulbs.com/learning/ledfaq.aspx#anchorenclosed

As expensive as the dern things are, I don't want to see premature wear on my LED's. Just like the LEAF battery :)

JP

Puget Sound Energy were selling 4 packs for $10 which is reason I got them. almost as cheap as CFLs

Back