Rav4 EV video

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lipower

This is nice to see. I suspect the production model will be close to the model shown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q7UqSxQjeU&feature=player_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TonyWilliams said:
surfingslovak said:
lipower said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTT8e8KNtZE
Thanks for posting! The second video depicts the old RAV4 EV.

I sincerely hope this car will have the room and range that my LEAF lacks. No quick charge will be a tough choice, however.

One of the videos that user has posted is claiming "100 real world miles". That would be sufficient for me for an around the town small SUV baby hauler and I could live without the QC for the next 3-4 years until the infrastructure is in place.

Small nit, but having experienced the joy of driving a Plymouth with push-button transmission, it would not be my preference. Lever is more intuitive.

TonyWilliams said:
surfingslovak said:
lipower said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTT8e8KNtZE
Thanks for posting! The second video depicts the old RAV4 EV.

I sincerely hope this car will have the room and range that my LEAF lacks. No quick charge will be a tough choice, however.
If it can do the Tesla 17kW L2 trick, I think thats better than QC.

Boomer23 said:
The Tesla touches do add to the coolness factor. I wonder what sort of energy efficiency it'll have.
I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that it's a RAV4 body with the guts of the Roadster. The pack has been reportedly downsized a bit, and they had strange problems with the onboard charger. Linda Nicholes mentioned in her blog post last year that a level 2 charge took nearly 12 hours. They probably fixed that by now, but it makes you wonder what else they changed beside pack size.

surfingslovak said:
Boomer23 said:
The Tesla touches do add to the coolness factor. I wonder what sort of energy efficiency it'll have.
I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that it's a RAV4 body with the guts of the Roadster. The pack has been reportedly downsized a bit, and they had strange problems with the onboard charger. Linda Nicholes mentioned in her blog post last year that a level 2 charge took nearly 12 hours. They probably fixed that by now, but it makes you wonder what else they changed beside pack size.

There's no way that's happening. That would be way too expensive. At most it will use tesla battery tech.

coolfilmaker said:
There's no way that's happening. That would be way too expensive. At most it will use tesla battery tech.
I think you can pretty much count on the RAV4-EV as being a low-volume car unless Toyota does not use Tesla for the drivetrain - like the original RAV4-EV.

Boomer23 said:
You can bet on this SUV being an energy hog. It'll be 20% heavier, 10% taller with a higher drag coefficient. I bet it will be EPA rated around 450 Wh/mile compared to the 340 Wh/mile of the LEAF. Range on the freeway at 65-70 mph will be atrocious unless they cram a huge battery in there. The LEAF is bad enough as it is.

If they can get around a 40 kWh battery in it then they will have a chance of it being a "real world" 100 mile range.

surfingslovak said:
I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that it's a RAV4 body with the guts of the Roadster...

I think you are describing the original concept / prototypes.
The production version is expected to be very different.

It is my understanding that the drive-train will have more in common with Model S than Roadster on the production ones.

TEG said:
It is my understanding that the drive-train will have more in common with Model S than Roadster on the production ones.
Quite possible. If so, I have to wonder if they'll fit the exact same size 40 kWh battery pack into the RAV4-EV as the $57.4k 40 kWh Model S?

If so, I can't image Toyota selling the RAV4-EV it for significantly less than $50k. If they can hit $45k, I will be impressed.

Edit: fix type-o

drees said:
TEG said:
Quite possible. If so, I have to wonder if they'll fit the exact same size 40 kWh battery pack into the RAV4-EV as the $57.4k 40 kWh Model S?

If so, I can't imaging Toyota selling the RAV4-EV it for significantly less than $50k. If they can hit $45k, I will be impressed.

I can see it. Toyota won't be putting all of the luxury features in it and they can afford to take a loss on every car too.

I suspect that Tesla & Toyota can engineer a pack capacity that suits their size constraints and price point requirements.
I doubt it would use the exact same pack as Model S. But the drive-train might be similar.

I expect rav4-ev to be really priced high. They want to sell just a few - so they can just price high (like $50k) and "sell" the needed numbers by leasing …

Even the plugin they hope to sell in good numbers, PIP, wasn't exactly priced low.

I love how the power meter actually reads in Kilowatts. The Leaf just gives you ambiguous "dots" that don't translate easily to a real figure. Granted, you can see Kilowatts on the energy screen on the center-console, but it would have been much nicer to have that on the main dashboard.

UkrainianKozak said:
Now, I want to see an EV towing an electric boat!

That is exactly what I want to see also!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJbsksDDlVI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back