Rats May Be a Threat to BEV and PHEV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I smell a rat - or something else that crawled up and died in the Kia my friend has. So many times she got rid of the car.

Are electric cars supposed to be immune to all troubles?

So, good counter-measures, and how to install them?

1. Screen for Grill?
2. Block CV-joint, front wheel area?
3. Block access to under-cargo area?
4. Block access to the inside of the Back Hatch?
5. Is access to cabin-air intake sufficiently blocked?
6. Access to cabin-air outlet?
7. Block access to under-body panels and wiring?
8. Other?

How to "screen" each important area?

In some areas of the country, it has been reported that rodents will chew into any wiring that they can access.

garygid said:
So, good counter-measures, and how to install them?

1. Screen for Grill?
2. Block CV-joint, front wheel area?
3. Block access to under-cargo area?
4. Block access to the inside of the Back Hatch?
5. Is access to cabin-air intake sufficiently blocked?
6. Access to cabin-air outlet?
7. Block access to under-body panels and wiring?
8. Other?

We found that mice had been nesting in the engine compartment of my wife's Subaru. I read a number of recommendations that said the mice had an aversion to clothes dryer softener sheets. So I cleaned up the mess and we tied a number of these in various spots under the hood. So far so good. Fortunately they hadn't sampled the wiring. Apparently they already had an abundant food supply as evidenced by peanut and snail shells...

I think what they were getting from the Subaru was the residual warmth from the engine. I can see how that amenity might be even more attractive in an EV -- a much steadier and durable warmth during a long charging session, for example. If I were a rodent, I'd choose the EV :p

I live on 30 acres in the foothills. Park my LEAF in the garage. I have three outdoor cats that live there also. They like to sleep on the roof of the car. If a rat or mouse comes into the garage. He's dinner. ;)

I think rats are a REAL problem for the Leaf and other EVs. The batteries charge during the night and are warm during that charge (many hours). This is certainly an attractant. My Leaf has not suffered damage yet, but is visited nightly. (My other two cars aren't visited nearly as often, but I have had to junk two cars in the past due to rodent damage.)

I am trying to convince the rats to go elsewhere. Clothes dryer sheets and peppermint oil DON'T work (maybe my rats have a cold). I don't have a garage and live in an area with large yards containing natural plants (there are rats around here). I am afraid I can only trap and poison them, but there may be something that the car makers can do to make the car less attractive.

If you have a Leaf and can't park in an enclosed space, you probably should check under the hood every month or so. You want to catch the problem BEFORE the wires have been chewed.

davewill said:
You can buy powdered fox urine to sprinkle around the area. Rats are not going to nest in a place they think is the home of a predator.

Does that include mice? I guess you can get anything in a powder today!

edatoakrun said:
So, back to my question of this AM, Is the LEAF's under-hood compartment completely sealed from rodent incursions- unlike all ICE/hybrids?

Lots of tasty looking wiring in there...
The LEAF under-hood area is open to rodents. When bringing my car home I parked it in a friend's garage for overnight L1 charging and noticed later that there were mouse droppings on top of the motor (the part that looks like a valve cover). She has horses and her garage isn't at all sealed so there are lots of critters around.

I've eliminated mouse access to my garage so I don't have the problem but, yes, they can get in there if parked outside.

EVDRIVER said:
davewill said:
You can buy powdered fox urine to sprinkle around the area. Rats are not going to nest in a place they think is the home of a predator.
Does that include mice? I guess you can get anything in a powder today!
Powdered mice? Doesn't seem very useful... :D

OH! you meant will it keep away mice. It should. I've mainly used it to keep rabbits out of my garden...for some reason society doesn't mind you poisoning rats and mice, but takes a dim view of offing cute little bunnies.

davewill said:
...for some reason society doesn't mind you poisoning rats and mice, but takes a dim view of offing cute little bunnies.

Little do they know!

knowledge-tim-the-enchanter-monty-python-demotivational-posters-1292343711.jpg

blappen said:
If you have a Leaf and can't park in an enclosed space, you probably should check under the hood every month or so. You want to catch the problem BEFORE the wires have been chewed.

+1. I hadn't checked under-hood for several weeks until this morning. A fair collection of mouse "deposits" on top and in various nooks. Didn't see any signs of wire-chewing. It appears the olive tree has been keeping them satisfied.

I didn't have any powdered fox urine, so I peed on the tires. :lol:

I've seen evidence of a mouse under the hood of my LEAF.

It's parked in the garage.

I cleaned up the evidence and invested in one of those ultrasonic pest repeller gadgets that sits right beside of my LEAF now and blasts 24 hours a day.

I haven't seen any further sign of the critters.

Over the summer I parked outside overnight for a "free carwash from the sky". I didn't realize it at the time but when I moved my car back into the garage a packrat came along for the ride. It chewed up my garage door seal trying to escape, but was unable to get out because it was so large. I eventually was able to trap it and move it back outside:

To get an idea of the size, the wire mesh of the trap is ½ inch by 1 inch; by packrat standards this is a small one. Note the long furry tail.

Dryer sheets are pretty flammable aren't they? Better chewed on car parts than a car-b-q.

Cats are the best mouse trap we have. I volunteer at a city shelter, if you need one, let me know.

I was reminded of this discussion of pests and EVs yesterday when I took my ICE car out of the garage for the first time in a couple of months (I had last bought gas in December). While checking the air in the tires I noticed that the left rear wheel had a nice black widow spider web on it.

I guess I should take the ICE out more often! My LEAF doesn't sit long enough to accumulate spider webs.

Mice did $1400 worth of damage to my truck last year. For whatever reason they appear to like chewing on electrical wire insulation. I've tried dryer sheets, Lysol, mousetraps, and even a high voltage fence zapper. None worked, the best solution so far has been Decon rat poison blocks. I just throw them on the engine and replace them when they've been eaten. I place the poison blocks on the plastic intake manifold and despite the heat, there doesn't seem to be a problem.

Back