Range question and night driving.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GerryAZ said:
For a 78-mile total trip you will realistically be on the edge when the battery is new (without using the heater). If you could charge somewhere, you would be fine. To put some of the long-range-on-a-single-charge posts in perspective, I hit "turtle" mode at 74.6 miles today a block from home (100% charge with no precooling before driving). I was not trying to stretch the range so I was accelerating briskly from stoplights and using the A/C extensively during surface street driving (no freeway miles) ranging up to 60 mi/hr. My dash display showed 4.3 mi/kWh (nav unit showed 4.4) when the battery management system shut down the high-voltage while running the A/C in the driveway to finish draining the battery. I will post charging from dead results tomorrow.

Gerry

I don't understand: if your efficiency is 4.3 mi/kWh, then technically you should get 21*4.3=92 miles range on a 100% charge. But you got to turtle at 74 miles. Does that mean a) the A/C consumed 18 miles? Or, b) your battery capacity is less than 21 kWh ?

TonyWilliams said:
Nielubie said:
I'm curious, anyone here drive 90%+ highway (55mph)? The more I read up on this, the more I think I can do it during summer months. :D

Is the question "90 miles" at 55mph ?

If so, look at the chart.

No I meant 90% of 78miles on highway. So basically 70.2 miles, has anyone done real world driving at 55MPH and gotten around 70miles? I know what the chart says, but I'm looking for real driver answers, people who have done this, experienced it.

I get around 80 miles going no more than 60mph with 90% or so freeway driving. No climate control. Tires at 45 lbs.

To quote the common refrain on this forum: Your mileage may vary.

mkjayakumar said:
GerryAZ said:
To put some of the long-range-on-a-single-charge posts in perspective, I hit "turtle" mode at 74.6 miles today a block from home (100% charge with no precooling before driving). I was not trying to stretch the range so I was accelerating briskly from stoplights and using the A/C extensively during surface street driving (no freeway miles) ranging up to 60 mi/hr. My dash display showed 4.3 mi/kWh (nav unit showed 4.4)
I don't understand: if your efficiency is 4.3 mi/kWh, then technically you should get 21*4.3=92 miles range on a 100% charge. But you got to turtle at 74 miles. Does that mean a) the A/C consumed 18 miles? Or, b) your battery capacity is less than 21 kWh ?
It does seem a bit early for turtle at 4.3 mi/kWh. HVAC use is reflected in the dash gauges. Really would expect at least 80 miles before turtle at 4.3 mi/kWh if not more. Need a gid-meter!

Nielubie said:
So basically 70.2 miles, has anyone done real world driving at 55MPH and gotten around 70miles? I know what the chart says, but I'm looking for real driver answers, people who have done this, experienced it.

That chart is actually developed from "real world" data. Not the other way around.

TonyWilliams said:
Nielubie said:
So basically 70.2 miles, has anyone done real world driving at 55MPH and gotten around 70miles? I know what the chart says, but I'm looking for real driver answers, people who have done this, experienced it.

That chart is actually developed from "real world" data. Not the other way around.

In that case, that is great!!!! I thought it was developed by Nissan with their unrealistic lab testing. This will make it much easier to figure out then.. :)

Nielubie said:
In that case, that is great!!!! I thought it was developed by Nissan with their unrealistic lab testing. This will make it much easier to figure out then.. :)

Im the author. Not Nissan. You can read all the gory details on its development on the link in my signature line.

Back