Random Beep when parked in garage

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPWhite

For sometime now I've 'thought' I heard the LEAF beep when parked in the garage for no apparent reason. I've thought that maybe it was saying Hi! as I got close to the vehicle.

Today I went into the garage without any keys with me. The car beeped once while I was in the garage while I was within a few feet of it, so no doubt its the car and not the Blink or anything else in the garage. It's not plugged in or charging, has an 80% charge from last night, hasn't moved in over 12 hrs.

What's with the occasional and apparently random beep?

Anyone else experience this?

The only time I've heard it beep is when I've requested Carwings status from my phone. The car will beep when it gets the request. It's never done it on it's own.

davewill said:
The only time I've heard it beep is when I've requested Carwings status from my phone. The car will beep when it gets the request. It's never done it on it's own.

I have heard the car "beep" when requesting an update through the iphone app or the website.

TNleaf said:
davewill said:

I have heard the car "beep" when requesting an update through the iphone app or the website.

I didn't do either of those things. Maybe it was a scheduled Carwings upload?

I've also heard occasional random beeps, in addition to the beep that happens if I use Carwings. The random beeps are not related to charging or their timers, so I suspect it is Carwings checking in. The cell signal here is intermittent, so maybe it checks in when it picks up a signal, if it hasn't checked in for a while?

It's come a bit late but I think I found the answer to this odd beep. :)

I think it beeps when you get out of the car while it's still running. Here's the scenario when I have heard it: I pull into my driveway, put the car in Park and leave it running. Then I get out and leave the door open while I walk to the mailbox to collect my mail. (Heh, not using any gas while I'm "idling"!) That's when I hear the beep... as I go out of range with the fob in my pocket. And sure enough, there's a message on the screen "Key Not Detected". As soon as I get back in the car, the message dissappears and all is well again.

So I would not mind betting that's why you're hearing that beep. Just my two cents worth.

Cheers, Bert

OMG I'm LOVING this car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kg4bec said:
It's come a bit late but I think I found the answer to this odd beep. :)

I think it beeps when you get out of the car while it's still running. Here's the scenario when I have heard it: I pull into my driveway, put the car in Park and leave it running. Then I get out and leave the door open while I walk to the mailbox to collect my mail. (Heh, not using any gas while I'm "idling"!) That's when I hear the beep... as I go out of range with the fob in my pocket. And sure enough, there's a message on the screen "Key Not Detected". As soon as I get back in the car, the message dissappears and all is well again.

So I would not mind betting that's why you're hearing that beep. Just my two cents worth.

Cheers, Bert

Hey Bert, I must have missed the post re: you taking delivery. Glad you have the vehicle in time for Christmas and that you are enjoying it. Congratulations!! Have many happy miles of silent, smooth and quick motoring!! I bet you are one of the few in Alabama that has one!!

I hope to get mine back from the body shop Thursday. I've really missed the LEAF while it's been gone this past few weeks. It gets fresh paint this coming week. I feel like a mother who hands her baby over to someone else to babysit for the first time. (Will they take good care of it, it's different from the other cars they work on etc etc). The LEAF Body Repair Manual allows for the car to go up to 140 degrees in the paint booth, while I sit here reading the owners manual saying don't go over 120. Nissan documentation contradicting itself doesn't help with the concerns I have. Shame, the car will have lost its 'newness' in my mind. Thankfully I have good insurance that pays for the repairs and I wasn't hurt in anyway. Still sucks though :)

Merry Christmas to you!!

JPWhite said:
kg4bec said:

Hey Bert, I must have missed the post re: you taking delivery. Glad you have the vehicle in time for Christmas and that you are enjoying it. Congratulations!! Have many happy miles of silent, smooth and quick motoring!! I bet you are one of the few in Alabama that has one!!

I hope to get mine back from the body shop Thursday. I've really missed the LEAF while it's been gone this past few weeks. It gets fresh paint this coming week. I feel like a mother who hands her baby over to someone else to babysit for the first time. (Will they take good care of it, it's different from the other cars they work on etc etc). The LEAF Body Repair Manual allows for the car to go up to 140 degrees in the paint booth, while I sit here reading the owners manual saying don't go over 120. Nissan documentation contradicting itself doesn't help with the concerns I have. Shame, the car will have lost its 'newness' in my mind. Thankfully I have good insurance that pays for the repairs and I wasn't hurt in anyway. Still sucks though :)

Merry Christmas to you!!

Thank you JP! I LOVE THIS CAR!!! :)
I have almost 700 gas-free miles on her and loving every minute of it. Everyone that I have shown it to have been quite surprised at the performance and quiet, smooth operation.

I picked it up Dec 2 although the delivery date wavered between week of dec 2 and week of dec 10, I got the phone call at 2pm Friday, it had come in the night before and they ran it though pre-delivery clean up straight away and I picked the car up that afternoon. :) I haven't run my ICE since. :)

So sorry to hear about your encounter with a deer! Hope you get your car back as good as new.

Merry Christmas!

Cheers, Bert

kg4bec said:
Thank you JP! I LOVE THIS CAR!!! :)
I have almost 700 gas-free miles on her and loving every minute of it. Everyone that I have shown it to have been quite surprised at the performance and quiet, smooth operation.

I picked it up Dec 2 although the delivery date wavered between week of dec 2 and week of dec 10, I got the phone call at 2pm Friday, it had come in the night before and they ran it though pre-delivery clean up straight away and I picked the car up that afternoon. :) I haven't run my ICE since. :)

So sorry to hear about your encounter with a deer! Hope you get your car back as good as new.

Merry Christmas!

Cheers, Bert

Yeah I sure miss it. It was due back yesterday but some window part broke on reassembly so I am now waiting on parts the day before a holiday. It's kinda like waiting on the delivery of it when I ordered it.

Take care and have a good Christmas!!

Hi JP,

Did anyone ever come up with an explanation for your random beep? I may have another explanation. I happened to be up at 2am one morning when I heard the beep as well. I've been hearing it at different times also. I think the car is beeping when it completes its charge cycle.

Hope that helps...

Cheers, Bert

kg4bec said:
Hi JP,

Did anyone ever come up with an explanation for your random beep? I may have another explanation. I happened to be up at 2am one morning when I heard the beep as well. I've been hearing it at different times also. I think the car is beeping when it completes its charge cycle.

Hope that helps...

Cheers, Bert

Hey Bert,

Not really. I think it is a random CarWings thing.

Take it in for its 7,500 mile service weekend after next. There are two software updates I'll have done in addition to the tire rotation. Did you receive the software update notice? It only applies to vehicles manufactured up to a certain date.

JP

Are you absolutely sure it's not your Blink? I've heard the Blink making random "touch" beeps without any touches. The Leaf never beeps without it being on when it's just idle. (unless remote buttons are being pressed)

Ghosts in the machine!

-Phil

Ingineer said:
Are you absolutely sure it's not your Blink? I've heard the Blink making random "touch" beeps without any touches. The Leaf never beeps without it being on when it's just idle. (unless remote buttons are being pressed)

Ghosts in the machine!

-Phil

Hey Phil,

I'm pretty sure its the LEAF, the beep is distinctive enough. I can 'force it' to beep by sending a CarWings update request. Unless of course the two machines beeps are similar just to throw me off. I haven't heard too much from the Blink, I never touch the display, relying instead on the web interface. If the Blink reboots or the car starts charging, the clunk of the relays are very different.

U should receive my EVSE via UPS today for upgrade :)

JP

JPWhite said:
Ingineer said:

Ghosts in the machine!

-Phil

Hey Phil,

I'm pretty sure its the LEAF, the beep is distinctive enough. I can 'force it' to beep by sending a CarWings update request. Unless of course the two machines beeps are similar just to throw me off. I haven't heard too much from the Blink, I never touch the display, relying instead on the web interface. If the Blink reboots or the car starts charging, the clunk of the relays are very different.

U should receive my EVSE via UPS today for upgrade :)

JP

I've had it happen with my Blink a few times where the car beeps. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the car, but caused by the Blink. I have the LEAF timer set to do 80% all the time. I use the Blink to manage TOU and only charge after 12AM when the rates are lower. I've never spent the time to figure out what's going on, but occasionally the Blink goes on the blink and I can hear the contactor click on and off in the Blink and the car beeps. This occurs at a time when the Blink is not supposed to allow charging at all. I just unplug the LEAF, then unplug the Blink, wait a bit and plug the Blink back in, then the LEAF. That usually fixes it. Hasn't happened since the Blink updated to firmware 2.0, but then it only happened 4 or 5 times over 5 months anyway.

JPWhite said:
Did you receive the software update notice? It only applies to vehicles manufactured up to a certain date.

JP

I did get that notice but I've resisted getting the update done for now. It seems to be set up just right now and I'm nervous about changing that. I'm still getting to know the car! :)

Cheers, Bert

Ingineer said:

Ghosts in the machine!

-Phil
Hi Phil,

Hmmm, my car beeps every now and again as I can hear it through the wall. It's off, parked in the garage, shut down with the charging plug in. The climate control timer is set so the car is nice and toasty at 8am and every morning the car beeps at 7:40 as it fires up the climate control.

As with JPWhite, I can force a beep by requesting a carwings update via my iPad. And just recently (although this could be my imagination) I think I heard it beep when the charge cycle was complete. Haven't heard it since though, so I'm really not sure about that one.

I have the Schneider evlink EVSE and I don't think it beeps... Will check further and let you know.

Cheers, Bert

kg4bec said:
JPWhite said:
Did you receive the software update notice? It only applies to vehicles manufactured up to a certain date.

JP

I did get that notice but I've resisted getting the update done for now. It seems to be set up just right now and I'm nervous about changing that. I'm still getting to know the car! :)

Cheers, Bert

I got the two updates done this week along with Tire Rotation at 7,500 miles. They are a non event for the owner. The GOM is meant to be more accurate, but I can't say I noticed any difference. For the first time it claimed 100 mile range on 80% charge. The first 14 miles today reduced the range by 25 miles. So it is still not very good at anticipating range. I drive very constantly during daily commutes, so am supprised it is so far off.

I did test the warning when opening the drivers door in Drive. It chirps and tells you to put it in park on the dash.

One downside to the update is that all timers are wiped out. Had to reconfigure both charging and climate control timers.

My upgraded EVSE came back from California last night. It seems to be very well done, looks like it came out of the factory that way. I'll buy some adapters at the RV lot this weekend and go try it out in campgrounds/RV parks over the next few weeks.

Back