questions regarding ordering, delivery dates etc.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the replies! Yeah, I did notice the note about delays when choosing certain colors.

Do you guys have any sources for the 2011 production having ceased? Know of anyone with a delivery date of November or December 2011 for a 2011 model?

Ugh... I'm not in a hurry to look for another job nor would I want to be in a rush just for the sake of the car (esp. if turns out to to be the wrong job/company), but I'd rather save $ by taking an orphan 2011 (and ordering a 2012 which will became an orphan), if I could.

cwerdna said:
Thanks for the replies! Yeah, I did notice the note about delays when choosing certain colors.

Do you guys have any sources for the 2011 production having ceased? Know of anyone with a delivery date of November or December 2011 for a 2011 model?

Ugh... I'm not in a hurry to look for another job nor would I want to be in a rush just for the sake of the car (esp. if turns out to to be the wrong job/company), but I'd rather save $ by taking an orphan 2011 (and ordering a 2012 which will became an orphan), if I could.
I was unable to find a reference for when the 2011/2012 model changeover happened at the Oppama plant. But I believe that ordering for the 2011 ceased in July, as Doxylover said. When ordering re-opened on July 25th it was for the 2012 model year. Every mention of a tentative November delivery date I've seen is for a 2012. Barring delays, October would seem to be the last month for 2011 deliveries.

Nevertheless, there might continue to be 2011 orphans available in November. I would also expect that 2012 orphans will start becoming available in November and December, but the cost will be higher. Orphans tend to sell at MSRP; I've never seen any below MSRP, although there have likely been a few.

cwerdna said:
Since I told him I knew about the 2012 price increase and forced features which I don't need nor want to pay for (e.g. battery heater), he also anticipated a couple orphan 2011 SLs to come his way by the end of the year and was willing to have me take one of those instead and thus whatever it'd order would become an orphan (which he could markup). Have others here done something like that before? Also, he seemed to want me to pick him since if I decide to bail and get my $99 back, he's got an orphan, which he can markup.
Can anyone speak to the above practice? Has anyone done this? The idea is you order whatever and after paying the reservation fee but you instead take an orphan coming in earlier and the car you ordered becomes an orphan.

Is this a "legit" practice? Is this a sign of a shady dealer/salesman?

Again, if I can get 2011 and save money in not paying for 2012's forced features and the higher price, this seems like a good deal to me, assuming the 2011 doesn't get marked up so that it's over MSRP or junk fees get added in.

High volume dealers have figured out how to maximize their Leaf sales by managing their orphans very well. I have a 2012 on order, but my dealer is selling me a 2011 orphan for immediate delivery. Since i live in coastal socal, I really do not need a cold weather forced option. Part of the deal is that I leave my order for the 2012 intact.

An orphan at Msrp is still $1500 cheaper than a new, discounted 2012.

cwerdna said:
cwerdna said:
Since I told him I knew about the 2012 price increase and forced features which I don't need nor want to pay for (e.g. battery heater), he also anticipated a couple orphan 2011 SLs to come his way by the end of the year and was willing to have me take one of those instead and thus whatever it'd order would become an orphan (which he could markup). Have others here done something like that before? Also, he seemed to want me to pick him since if I decide to bail and get my $99 back, he's got an orphan, which he can markup.
Can anyone speak to the above practice? Has anyone done this? The idea is you order whatever and after paying the reservation fee but you instead take an orphan coming in earlier and the car you ordered becomes an orphan.

Is this a "legit" practice? Is this a sign of a shady dealer/salesman?

Again, if I can get 2011 and save money in not paying for 2012's forced features and the higher price, this seems like a good deal to me, assuming the 2011 doesn't get marked up so that it's over MSRP or junk fees get added in.
Several people have reported picking up orphans in lieu of their later delivery date vehicles. Most have found the orphans at or near MSRP from other dealers, but at least one took an early delivery of an orphan at the same price from their selected dealer, leaving their order intact to become an orphan. That was just good customer service. Whether or not your ordered Leaf becomes an orphan depends on when you back out. If done early in the process, everyone just moves forward in line; if done after the VIN is on its way to the dealer, it is delivered to the dealer and becomes an orphan. It is unclear from this forum where that line exactly is. Whether you back out early or take delivery, you get your $99 back.

Is the practice you mention "legit?" I think so; however, I would not be inclined to take the early delivery orphan if it meant getting a color or option I didn't want. If the base price was a bit higher, but the total price was less because of MY2011/MY2012 differences, I might consider it.

It would not hurt to directly ask the dealer if they would give you the same deal on an early-delivery orphan (if one came up) if you selected them now as the delivery dealer for your order. Call around. Northbay Nissan in Petaluma is close enough to consider.

Thanks for the answers!
HighDesertDriver said:
Is the practice you mention "legit?" I think so; however, I would not be inclined to take the early delivery orphan if it meant getting a color or option I didn't want. If the base price was a bit higher, but the total price was less because of MY2011/MY2012 differences, I might consider it.

It would not hurt to directly ask the dealer if they would give you the same deal on an early-delivery orphan (if one came up) if you selected them now as the delivery dealer for your order. Call around. Northbay Nissan in Petaluma is close enough to consider.
Yes, the only reason why I am considering this is because of the higher MY2012 price and I'd rather not pay for those forced features either. The base 2012 SV MSRP is higher than that of the 2011 SL.

Any reason why you mention North Bay Nissan in Petaluma? They're WAY too far for me. I live in south SJ and it's 101 miles away, one way. That's NOT that way to begin the Leaf's maiden voyage. I would definitely need to charge along the way.

cwerdna said:
Any reason why you mention North Bay Nissan in Petaluma? They're WAY too far for me. I live in south SJ and it's 101 miles away, one way. That's NOT that way to begin the Leaf's maiden voyage. I would definitely need to charge along the way.
Ron Cory at NBNissan is a straight-up guy and their 5% off MSRP and options is the best price anywhere for RAQ orders. The savings may be worth the effort to plan a charge stop on the trip back. Alternatively, borrow a pickup truck and rent a U-Haul flatbed trailer for the day. You'll have to put a value on the value of dealing with your local Nissan dealer. Search this forum for reports on dealers near SJ. Good luck with your search!

Back