questions regarding ordering, delivery dates etc.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you go to www.nissanusa.com and click electric cars -> leaf, you're directed to the Leaf site.
On the left, there is a white link saying "register / log in." (At least if all the Flash gods are with your browser)
Once you log in there, you see an accordion with a half-dozen headings -- "reserve" "order" "quote for charger" etc.
That is the dashboard. If you look at the header for "order car," or in the bottom-right of that whole layout, there should be an estimated delivery date.

Thanks for the reply.

I got a recent e-mail from Nissan. To wit: the excitement of driving a part of automotive history is almost here! Your Nissan LEAF™ is scheduled to arrive at your local dealer soon. Once you take delivery of the vehicle, your initial $99 reservation fee will be refunded. If you have any further questions about the delivery process, just contact your Nissan Dealer.

Is this the "one-week-to-go" email?

Oh, and I forgot to mention that when I got that e-mail, my arrival date changed from "the week of 5/30" to "the week of 6/03" -- which is the same weeek.

LEAFAGE said:
Thanks for the reply.
I got a recent e-mail from Nissan. To wit: the excitement of driving a part of automotive history is almost here! Your Nissan LEAF™ is scheduled to arrive at your local dealer soon. Once you take delivery of the vehicle, your initial $99 reservation fee will be refunded. If you have any further questions about the delivery process, just contact your Nissan Dealer.
Is this the "one-week-to-go" email?

In theory, yes, but in reality 'soon' is a relative term and can mean from days to over a month. I received that 'delivery soon' email on May 5th, so for me, it didn't/doesn't mean much.

My delivery date just changed five minutes ago...to "Week of June 6." Changed from "Week of June 3" which was a change from "Week of May 30."

Well, I just posted 25 minutes ago that my delivery date was changed from June 3 to June 6. Then, voila, I got a call from the dealer. The car is at the dealer and will be ready to pick up tomorrow.

:D I'm happy to report that as of last week my delivery date changed from "month of June" to "week of June 14". Yesterday, it changed to "week of June 15" and this morning reverted to "week of June 14". Early this morning I received an email from Nissan saying I could activate my CarWings account (which I have now done). So it sounds like it's getting close. My reservation dates back to April 20, 2010 so it has been a long wait. I've downloaded all the manuals and started reading through them (they are very comprehensive, repetitive, and lengthy except for the quick start guide. My dealer is in Shingle Springs, California and so far no word from him as to an actual delivery date.

I have a bunch of dumb questions, so you'll have to forgive a newbie who hasn't been following the Leaf order process (which is totally different than buying any other car). I only recently started entertaining the thought of putting myself in line. (I've driven the Leafs w/o noisemakers at the Tukwila, WA Leaf event.) If I were to get a Leaf, it'd replace my Z.

I have read http://nissanleafwiki.com/index.php?title=Timing_of_order-related_events.

- Can I actually try to reserve now? At http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/, there's:
Q: Why can’t I reserve a Nissan LEAF™ at this time?
A: beginning May 1, Nissan will reopen reservations to limited US customers* who were registered before April 20, 2011 in launch markets currently selling the Nissan LEAF™ (Arizona, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas and Washington).
- I'm not registered, so if that answer's no, any idea when I can reserve? I will be moving back to California next month (from WA).
- If I somehow can reserve now, what's the ETA to receive the car? I'm actually not a hurry. I currently have very low tax liability, which will change along w/whole bunch of other factors [e.g. commute distance, future living and charging situation, etc.]. If I were to buy instead of lease, it's best that I wait until 2012. I'm not 100% sure I'm going to buy/lease, but I'd rather be in line in case I do really want the car.
- If I cancel/back out, I can get my $99 deposit back, right?
- At the time of reservation, do I need to decide upon the color and whether I'm purchasing or leasing?
- Is getting a EVSE waiver a pain anymore? If I get a Leaf, I will likely just charge at home via 110 volts (yes, I know it's slow).
- I read http://green.autoblog.com/2011/06/10/2012-nissan-leaf-available-this-fall-cold-weather-package-now-s/. Do we know when production of the 2012 Leafs (w/all the enhancements) will start? Anyone know if they're increasing the price given the enhancements?

I would sign up with a CA address (San Diego) and start another account. You should be able to reserve and order within 2 months. If you did that I would expect delivery in 4 to 6 months from now. If you cancel or take delivery you get the $99 back. When you reserve you configure the car, trim, color, etc. when you order you do it again and can make changes. It still seems to be better to sign up for the AV assessment, having a date that follows your order, and cancelling the assessment after your order is placed. Whether your quote is predicated on a purchase or a lease you ultimately decide when you come in to pick up the car.

orderaleaf said:
I would sign up with a CA address (San Diego) and start another account. You should be able to reserve and order within 2 months. If you did that I would expect delivery in 4 to 6 months from now. If you cancel or take delivery you get the $99 back. When you reserve you configure the car, trim, color, etc. when you order you do it again and can make changes. It still seems to be better to sign up for the AV assessment, having a date that follows your order, and cancelling the assessment after your order is placed. Whether your quote is predicated on a purchase or a lease you ultimately decide when you come in to pick up the car.
Thanks! Any reason for San Diego? I'm moving (back) to San Jose.

As for another account, you mean another w/Nissan and not on mynissanleaf, right? I don't believe I have any account w/Nissan's Leaf ordering system. I do receive some surveys and marketing emails from them via email.

As for the 4 to 6 months "from now", do you really mean from now or 4 to 6 months after the 2 months I'd have to wait to reserve and order?

I'm just trying to determine the timing as it relates to my tax liability situation. It's best that I don't take delivery until 2012, if I buy instead of lease.

My estimated delivery date changed today from August 2011 to September 2011.
Ordered on May 06,2010 in SF Bay Area

cwerdna said:
orderaleaf said:
Thanks! Any reason for San Diego? I'm moving (back) to San Jose.

As for another account, you mean another w/Nissan and not on mynissanleaf, right? I don't believe I have any account w/Nissan's Leaf ordering system. I do receive some surveys and marketing emails from them via email.

As for the 4 to 6 months "from now", do you really mean from now or 4 to 6 months after the 2 months I'd have to wait to reserve and order?

I'm just trying to determine the timing as it relates to my tax liability situation. It's best that I don't take delivery until 2012, if I buy instead of lease.

I say San Diego, because that area is very familiar to me. Any PRIMARY launch market SD, SF, etc..

I by chance bumped into one of the salespeople that sold my parents their 07 Altima Hybrid at Hybrids to Hotrods in San Jose (they had a Leaf their + a few other cars). He moved to Stevens Creek Nissan. Have people found them to be ok from a sales and Leaf price POV?

I mentioned how I already paid my $99 deposit but hadn't yet selected a dealer. My buying/leasing situation is a bit weird. Currently, I'm not working as I quit my job last year. I have PLENTY of savings and can easily to buy many Leafs w/cash, if needed, but out of principle and prudence will NOT buy or lease a second car until I'm working. That future job is also at an unknown distance from home. I live in south San Jose where everything is far. I will not buy a Leaf it its range and charging situation at work (if any) won't work for a daily commute.

The salesman wanted me to select his dealer (of course). He said that if I chose his dealer that day (9/24/11) and accepted, he expected me to have a Leaf by end of 2011. Is this realistic now? He said the 2012s haven't started delivery yet.

Since I told him I knew about the 2012 price increase and forced features which I don't need nor want to pay for (e.g. battery heater), he also anticipated a couple orphan 2011 SLs to come his way by the end of the year and was willing to have me take one of those instead and thus whatever it'd order would become an orphan (which he could markup). Have others here done something like that before? Also, he seemed to want me to pick him since if I decide to bail and get my $99 back, he's got an orphan, which he can markup.

Do we know when 2012 production will start and when 2011 shipments arrivals will cease? I'm trying to figure out the last chance to jump on this might be. I don't know when I'll be working but also worry about the $2.5K CVRP running out/being reduced further if I wait too long.

If I bail and take my $99 back, that means I'm out of line and will need to look for orphans or pay it again and go back to the end of the line, right? If I select a dealer and decline on the car, that'll mean the $99 will be refunded and I'm out of line, right?

I can't answer exactly, but I ordered on July 11, about a week before ordering closed on MY11. My car is probably in port in Long Beach right now and scheduled into my dealer in Northern California in a week or so.

I'd guess the last MY11's will be at US dealers by the end of the month.

Edit: I just remembered that the Nissan configuring website stated that ordering red or blue paint would delay the order 3-4 month. If that is true, they may continue to trickle in for months. However, I find it hand to believe that they would continue producing MY11's for months, and then take the downtime to retool (admittedly minimal) for the MY12's. Who knows.

2011 production ceased some time ago and by August ordering was for 2012 models (which agrees with what Doxylover said above). If you really want a 2011 orphan you had best grab one while you still can.

I'd be surprised if you could place a new order now and take delivery before the end of this year. The reason is that ordering in Tier 3 states opened on September 28th and the available supply for this year is likely already spoken for.

Back