Question about estimated range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newleafer71

Quick question and my apologies if it's already been answered. I've had my 2015 Leaf for about 2 weeks. I've noticed that the amount of battery life or the mileage available after a charge quickly decrements. For example, the car had 86 miles or was charged to 81% this morning. I drove it 2-3 miles and the miles available was down to 76. I'm assuming that the car is constantly recalculating based on conditions, but this seems a little odd. Thanks.

The GOM (indicated range remaining) really is rather inaccurate when battery is full. Seems to generally get better as drive the battery down. I'm not entirely sure why this is, but it is just a fact.

Since getting my 2013 S+, I have kept a log of my trips and found that the full to (almost dead - 7% or so) range has been fairly consistent (even between my wife and I). Meanwhile the GOM has ranged from 101 to 82 when full.

One of the first things that any new Leafer learns to do is to take the GOM (Guess O Meter) with a grain of salt. It's predictions can vary over a wide range, based on the past driving conditions, and may or may not accurately forecast the future based on current driving conditions. It tends to be the least accurate in conditions with changing elevation, non-level roads, and varying speeds.

newleafer71 said:
Quick question and my apologies if it's already been answered. I've had my 2015 Leaf for about 2 weeks. I've noticed that the amount of battery life or the mileage available after a charge quickly decrements. For example, the car had 86 miles or was charged to 81% this morning. I drove it 2-3 miles and the miles available was down to 76. I'm assuming that the car is constantly recalculating based on conditions, but this seems a little odd. Thanks.

My best guess (complete speculation) is the GOM uses the past ~5 miles of driving history to determine your range left.

Any halfway decent indicator would weigh numerous factors, and not just the one. Prime example of this is at a very low charge (--- miles left), I tend to drive extremely efficiently, and keep it to 25MPH on surface streets. When it's done charging, my range is 120+ miles. I generally get about 96.

Back