Purchased AV unit directly (cash and carry)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mitch672 said:
TRONZ,

I think you will find the electrical contractors are getting a fixed amount for a standard install, but that AV has "marked up" the labor, for their cut... I'm willing to bet that's what was going on.

NO contractor works on a "flat rate" ever! Contractors work for a pre-negotiated fee. If that is what you mean then, yes. Problems are with non-standards and the fact that contractors established the core of these fees without negotiation. And I do agree. Anyone holding the primary contract on anything will add their profit margin into everything they touch after farming out the work. What some would call a "conflict of interest" (customers) are called "synergies" by corporations. The original assessment of work comes from the contractors and can be for ANY amount. AV will not complain (to much) about out of control assessments because XX% of more for them is more for them. I think you will see that AV is in the install business by contract only. Just because a contractor can ask for anything and AV has a contract allowing normal markups does not mean its what people will pay. I mean, AV typically deals with the government for its contracts not frugal civilians. AV is a good company with a good product and a poorly conceptualized approach to their contract(or) structure.

TRONZ, thats why they have a "standard" install, I'm willing to bet the contractors made a deal with AV, for say $500-$700 per install, to get the business. Times are very tough in the electrical contracting business, just like all business's right now.. Thats why it has to be less than 30' from the panel to the EVSE, doesn't include a new panel, just conduit/wire/breaker and labor, and, they add in the permit fee's on top of the labor.

I'm sure AV promised lots of installation work to these electrical contractors, in exchange for a very low pre-negotiated price for a standard install.

Believe it or not, Apple's iTunes is similar, Apple keeps the majority of the money when you buy music/videos at the iTunes store, the artist/creater gets very very little.

I'm not saying AV is an "evil corporation", it's just as you have stated, they really are not well suited to deal with the general public. Their "old" business model works just fine for government work, where the client is not sensitive to the price, because, after all, it's really not their money anyway (its OURS, the taxpayers).

mwalsh said:
kolmstead said:
AV does not recommend that you install the EVSE in direct sunlight. So I guess you can mount it outside in Seattle, but not in Phoenix?
Blinking four times per second... charging dock too hot.

The heat from direct sunlight can really do a number on electronics - my PV inverter came with the same admonition.

My EVSE will have to be mounted in direct sunlight. The only thing that might help... I probably won't be using the unit during the day, it will be just sitting idle. I will try to do my charging at night. So maybe it will be a little cooler since it wont be running power through it during the day?

Should I try to build a sun shield for it? Or just find some cloth that I can drape over it. It would still probably get hot, but the UV rays wouldn't breakdown the plastic as fast?

-Peter

Anything you can do to keep direct sun off the EVSE will help enormously. A small sunshade, some shade cloth, or whatever. In my case, the unit is outside but under the carport in front of my shop. It'll see almost no direct sunlight, but 115 degree daytime temps. You're right, though, charging at night will reduce or eliminate the problem.

garygid said:
A simple aluminum foil cover, shiny side out, will keep the EVSE a LOT cooler.

Kina of like a NASA satellite? I see they have some type of metallic foil on the outside to protect them from the sun right?

-Peter

One installer did 50 assessments (no pay for any) and got only ONE job so far. For a "Standard Install", they get a "fixed" $500, I am told.

Generally, they inspect, take pictures, and describe the job for AV, but AV makes up the Quote.

I think the installers got "caught in the middle".

As you might suspect, I already wear one (as needed) :lol: ...
to keep the spy satellites out. :ugeek:

Others say that it just keeps the flying-elephant "exhaust" off. :lol:

Seems to work well for both, and cuts down on sunburn too! :D

garygid said:
One installer did 50 assessments (no pay for any) and got only ONE job so far. For a "Standard Install", they get a "fixed" $500, I am told.
If that "no pay for any" is true, then I don't see any reason why AV should not refund us our $100 for assessments. Anyone have any ideas on how to push back on AV on this?

It definitely sounds like the installers are getting screwed x2. They aren't getting much from the install, and because the install price is so high (from AV) they aren't getting any business. And AV? Out nothing.

JasonT said:
garygid said:
If that "no pay for any" is true, then I don't see any reason why AV should not refund us our $100 for assessments. Anyone have any ideas on how to push back on AV on this?

It definitely sounds like the installers are getting screwed x2. They aren't getting much from the install, and because the install price is so high (from AV) they aren't getting any business. And AV? Out nothing.
How about refunding $50 and send $50 to the "out-of-work" (hapless) installer ?

my guess is that AV is keeping the $100 fee for "administrative overhead" of dealing with scheduling the electrical contractors etc. It really is rotten, AV should be at least giving some of that assesment fee to the contractor, they are the ones who actually have to use REAL resources that cost them money, such as gas in their trucks/vehicles, and their time to go do the actual work.

OMG OMG OMG! my property owner said yes! They're gonna let me install an EVSE in my spot! I'm so excited!! I think I'm gonna go this cash and carry route if I can pull it off. Nothing like the last minute!

John, I called your guy and left a message so I should hear back from him in the morning. Told him I got his number from you. thanks everyone!

malloryk said:
John, I called your guy and left a message so I should hear back from him in the morning. Told him I got his number from you. thanks everyone!

Great news, Mallory....every time I go to the westside I think of you....where is Mallory going to charge her car?! Now I can stop worrying! :lol:

Kataphn said:
Great news, Mallory....every time I go to the westside I think of you....where is Mallory going to charge her car?! Now I can stop worrying! :lol:

aw that's very thoughtful of you! I can stop worrying now too!

Back