Purchased AV unit directly (cash and carry)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
Not as large, nor as heavy, as I expected. Made in Taiwan, but looks pretty well made. Box includes EVSE; J1772 cable; mounting plate; mounting hardware; owners guide; quick start cheat sheet.

evse.jpg

+1
GOT MINE IN THE MAIL TODAY AS WELL!
Congrats MWALSH! AV unit looks great and is not heavy at all!

mitch672 said:
I'm sure AV want to get as many of these out as possible, before the low cost EVSE market falls apart on them, and the "import" clones start to show up... $750 is better than these things sitting in their inventory. Who wants to bet the clones are made in the same factory as the AV unit, just on a "third" shift.

Mitch won't those of us who paid for the AV get 50% off the unit? I see it as $375- not very likely that home chargers will for MUCH less than that-maybe $200 or $300 in 2012!

JPC2822 said:
Mitch won't those of us who paid for the AV get 50% off the unit? I see it as $375- not very likely that home chargers will for MUCH less than that-maybe $200 or $300 in 2012!

Well, it's really more like ~$450, if you paid the $100 assessment fee, plus whatever your electrician charges you for the install. So I figure I'm closer to $550 with the tax credit.

JPC2822 said:
I thought we get tax deduction or rebate (whatever you call it) on the install as well?

You do - tax deduction of 50% on amounts up to $4000. Plus you get a better warranty (3 years in-home as opposed to 3 year ship-it-back).

However, you still have to front ALL the money, and I just didn't want to front $2300 right now, especially when I could have my own electrician do the install of 1.5' of conduit/romex for virtually nothing while he was already there doing my panel upgrade.

just to put my 2 cents in, I think once the volume of EVSE's manufactured overseas goes up, third party cloners wil become interested in copying them, and by then the most expensive part, the actual male J-1772 male connector with the attached #8 gauge cabling (for up to 40AMP EVSE's), drops in price, then the EVSEs will drop as well, since that component and the attached cable is the single most expensive component of the EVSE. There wil probably be portable plug in 240VAC EVSE's available mid 2011 to late 2011 in the $350 or so range, that's my best guess. The Volt SPX unit is already priced at $495, just not available to other than Volt owners yet...

and yes, there is a %50 tax credit availble in 2010, so sure, if I could get one I would, but probably not too likely right now, but again, as time moves on, these will drop in price enough that the tax credit will not really be much of a factor.

MWALSH- great minds think alike!
I also did not want to pay $2300 because for the amount we save on the install WE CAN BUY A NEW CHARGER! ;)

I will pay half what AV would have charged for the unit with their installation! I don't care about them coming to replace the unit warranty- the $2300 and other quotes I saw here were unacceptable to me!

JPC2822 said:
OFF TOPIC- YOU GUYS HAVING TROUBLE GETTING YOUR LEAF LOG ON PAGE UP? Something is going on I THINK!? :eek:

JPC2822, nissan is making sure that your carwings account is properly working ...
I had the same problem today and freaked out ... then got a phone call from Nissan.
it means your car is at the port (probably next to mine ;)

where are you based ? there are deliveries scheduled in the next few days for San Diego, Phoenix, Portland, Seattle, and Tennessee.

As you're in the "11" list of people who could order their AV unit, it means you're in the list of people getting their car soon ... and if you can't login to your account, it means that nissan is playing with your carwings account.

... at least that's my theory.

evnow said:
Who'd have imagined - the much maligned AV actually delivers !

I don't think anybody actually questioned whether they could actually deliver. The question has always been why are they charging so much for installation. The fact that everyone is doing cash and carry and getting them installed for far less than the AV installation only proves they were overpriced.

UPS delivered my AV EVSE today. I was going to grab a quick picture of the back side of the front cover, but there is a large metal shield covering the circuit board located there. I'll get pix this weekend, when I install the unit.

I don't remember hearing about it before, but the unit comes with a 91 page user/installer manual. Lots of good info there, including POST (power on self-test) techniques and info on how to decode the resulting blinking lights.

Provisions exist for two different input feed locations; there are areas marked out on the lower left and also behind the unit which can be cut out for the feed.

The installation instructions would be helpful if you were unsure of hookup, but you probably shouldn't be messing with it if you don't KNOW how it needs to be wired. Line 1, Line 2 and ground. 40 Amp breaker. Provision was made for 208 Volt feed by cutting a jumper. Most folks won't need that.

I'm not thrilled by the plastic case, but overall quality looks pretty good. I don't think that it will look good very long if mounted in direct sunlight and weather, though.

-Karl

kolmstead said:
I don't remember hearing about it before, but the unit comes with a 91 page user/installer manual. Lots of good info there, including POST (power on self-test) techniques and info on how to decode the resulting blinking lights.

I was going to try and scan it tomorrow, if I found I had time. If I do, I'll get it posted up by tomorrow night. Friday at the latest.

Lotta work there, Mike. But I admire your enthusiasm!

Other tidbits:

AV does not recommend that you install the EVSE in direct sunlight. So I guess you can mount it outside in Seattle, but not in Phoenix?

And the TROUBLE light is not easy to decode:

Light on solid... EVSE has detected a problem, probably in the charging dock.
Blinking two times per second... problem with the vehicle.
Blinking three times per second... utility problem.
Blinking four times per second... charging dock too hot.

I know AV takes alot of abuse but I really think (like most) it was just the installers gouging people. I know alot of contractors and they are still in desperate times. They will say or do just about anything to make a stack of cash and even worse if they think its subsidized by the government. Unfortunately, AV is the one that has to answer the phones for these clowns. Although I turned down the AV cash and carry offer on Monday it was nothing against them as a company or their product. They have been very professional with me done agood job regarding things they can control. Lets not forget that AV developed the original EV1 for GM in 1990. Then GM, well... did what they did :roll: . IMHO, AV deserves respect and appreciation from all EV fans for the work they do.

On a side note of sorts. Maybe it would be a good idea for cash and carry folks to send AV the design/cost outcomes of their third party installs. It might go a long way in giving AV more competitive design assessments and flag out of control contractors.

kolmstead said:
AV does not recommend that you install the EVSE in direct sunlight. So I guess you can mount it outside in Seattle, but not in Phoenix?
Blinking four times per second... charging dock too hot.

The heat from direct sunlight can really do a number on electronics - my PV inverter came with the same admonition.

TRONZ,

I think you will find the electrical contractors are getting a fixed amount for a standard install, but that AV has "marked up" the labor, for their cut... I'm willing to bet that's what was going on.

Back