Prospective Used Leaf Buyer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColbyS

Hi there,

This is my first post to the forum, I'm hoping to receive some advice from leaf owners. I have always been interested in electric cars and now I have the ability to buy an used Leaf. However, I am worried about the range of a used Leaf. My daily commute is about 56 miles round trip, 50 of those miles are on the highway with some hills, at about 60mph, I drive about 5 miles total through my small town . At my place of work, there is no designated charging location but I might be able to find a place to plug in to. My question is, do you think that a Leaf would be able to fulfill my daily driving needs? What about battery degradation and how will that effect me as time goes on?

Some information on the Leaf I was looking at buying.

2013 Nissan Leaf SV- $12,995 with 26,058 miles. Driving in the Northwest. I've emailed the dealer, they say that the battery is still at 100% capacity, although I suspect that they don't know what they're talking about.

Colby,

Spend some time reading through the valuable historical posts on this forum that specifically answers your questions and will point you to the various resources (LeafSpy) that will make you an informed buyer. Others have recently asked your exact question.

This forum is a great resource for current and prospective owners.

Good luck!

ColbyS said:
Hi there,

This is my first post to the forum, I'm hoping to receive some advice from leaf owners. I have always been interested in electric cars and now I have the ability to buy an used Leaf. However, I am worried about the range of a used Leaf. My daily commute is about 56 miles round trip, 50 of those miles are on the highway with some hills, at about 60mph, I drive about 5 miles total through my small town . At my place of work, there is no designated charging location but I might be able to find a place to plug in to. My question is, do you think that a Leaf would be able to fulfill my daily driving needs? What about battery degradation and how will that effect me as time goes on?

2013 Nissan Leaf SV- $12,995 with 26,058 miles. Driving in the Northwest. I've emailed the dealer, they say that the battery is still at 100% capacity, although I suspect that they don't know what they're talking about.
That commute is stretching the capability of the Leaf in the winter, especially with highway speeds and hills. I would htink hard before I would commit to a Leaf if I had that commute. Also, there is no way a ~3 year old Leaf has 100% battery capacity. My 2013 with 42k miles has ~84% SOH. The when fully charged the dash says 100%, but that is 100% of whatever the capacity is (100% of 84% in my case). I would advise you read through the forums a little more before you make any decision.

ColbyS said:
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place to find all the info before you buy a Leaf. I would highly recommend that you update your location in your profile. That will be helpful for folks when they are answering your questions.

Only 3 charge stations in my area, all level 2. But I do have family that I regularly visit in town that would let me charge. I could even pay for and install a bigger charger.

ColbyS said:
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum. I wouldn't generally recommend a used LEAF for that commute, year round, unless you have guaranteed charging at/near work as well as at home. In winter, you're definitely going to be pushing it now, and that will only get worse over time as the battery degrades further. Depending on where you are, where the car's been and the condition of its battery (are YOU driving in the Northwest, or did you mean that's where the car had been?), you may or may not qualify for a battery replacement under warranty (5 years/60k miles). Best is to post your location (at least your state, preferably city or metro area as well) in your profile, and then find the appropriate regional forum and re-post your question there, for more specific replies to your situation. Chances are decent someone will offer to loan you LEAFSpy and their OBDII dongle, or go with you to the dealership so you can check the battery condition yourself, and if not, you can find out how to get it for yourself.

You're right to question anything somebody at a dealership tells you - they're usually clueless and/or lying. If you find someone at a dealership who knows much about electric cars, you'll be lucky. It's virtually guaranteed that you'll get far more accurate and knowledgeable advice here.

With the Gen II Volt now out, there are good deals on used (and even a few old stock new) Volts. This is the car you need for that commute. Your other options are to lease a new Leaf SV or SL with 30kwh pack, and buy it after the lease ends to recoup the high payments by taking advantage of the low residual, or wait for the Bolt and hope for good lease deals on that. A used Leaf will not make you a happy camper with no workplace charging available.

According to the carfax it's been driven in the northwest and that's where I would be driving it, Roseburg, Oregon specifically. I feel like I could probably manage to make the trip, but with the battery degrading slowly it would only be a matter of time until I wouldn't be able to. My best bet is probably to wait for a 16 with the upgraded battery pack, a used volt, a bolt or a Model 3. I was just hoping to make the jump to all electric sooner rather than later.

ColbyS said:
According to the carfax it's been driven in the northwest and that's where I would be driving it, Roseburg, Oregon specifically. I feel like I could probably manage to make the trip, but with the battery degrading slowly it would only be a matter of time until I wouldn't be able to. My best bet is probably to wait for a 16 with the upgraded battery pack, a used volt, a bolt or a Model 3. I was just hoping to make the jump to all electric sooner rather than later.

I was in your situation, wanting to go all electric and considering used. Glad I decided to go with a 2016 SV with the 30kwh battery, I can't imagine trying to get by with any less especially in cold Minnesota winters! I only have a 35 mile round trip commute and I wouldn't go any less then 30kwh....not with winter!

I only have a 35 mile round trip commute and I wouldn't go any less then 30kwh....not with winter!

35 miles can be done - with adequate heat - on 11 full bars or more in a 24kwh Leaf. I did a 43 mile commute in a Cold Upstate NY Winter, when my 2013 was less than a year old. Not at 65MPH, mind you, but a few of those trips were at sub-zero temps, with wind. And uphill both ways. ;-)

Oh I believe it can be done, problem is all you will be able to do is go to work then straight home. Plus you have to watch your speed, out here in Minnesota they will basically run you over if you're only going 60 -65mph! Plus if you like to remote start and come out to a warm car you might have to limit that too. It's nice having extra range to cover unexpected or last minute stops or errands. When you factor that in and look at worst case weather scenario the 30kwh battery is pretty much a must have! A used 24kwh Leaf down to say 11 bars would never work for the OP in the dead of winter, heat blasting, going 65 - 70mph especially if there was a nasty head wind.

Believe it or not, the highway I do my commute on the speed limit is 55mph. I typically do that speed now in my ICE car, better has mileage and all.

ColbyS said:
Only 3 charge stations in my area, all level 2. But I do have family that I regularly visit in town that would let me charge. I could even pay for and install a bigger charger.
With any kind of charge, Level 1 or 2, during the day while you're at work, you won't have any problem with this commute for a long time, if ever. In 4-6 hours of trickle charging, you'll be adding 12-20 miles of range back into your battery for the trip home.

ColbyS said:
Plugshare shows Roseburg has two DCQC's. Are those nearby the 1/2 point? Do you stop for coffee or shopping in town? If so, you could pay the $20/mo fee and do a daily QC. At 25 mi, you could easily make that with a degraded 2011. You'd save a ton of money buying used over new. Just a thought.

rcm4453 said:
... A used 24kwh Leaf down to say 11 bars would never work for the OP in the dead of winter, heat blasting, going 65 - 70mph especially if there was a nasty head wind.
Well, Roseburg OR in the "dead" of winter is nothing like MN. :lol: I've been able to easily go 35 mi RT at 0 F with my 2011 Leaf, including heat, but I wouldn't recommend it for a routine commute, and certainly not 50 mi RT at 0 F. Roseburg, OR temps should be much warmer, although heavy rain and wind are still possible. It all depends on the frequency and ability of the OP to accept "weather" slowdowns. Personally, my commute is 8 mi RT and I absolutely love having my pre-warmed car ready to go in the garage. I haven't scraped snow or ice in four winters. :D My gas mobile never even got warm on my 4 mi trips and I always dressed like a snowman. Furthermore, the ICE had multiple tailpipes/muffler replacements due to rust and short in-town driving. The Leaf is absolutely perfect in that regard. Absolutely NO maintenance except wiper blades, fluid, and tires (oops, a bit too much EV grin).

Ok so now I have another question, I found a 2015 leaf s with 5000 miles for 15,000. Is it worth getting a newer s over an older sv?

Back