Preliminary RANGE results

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DeaneG said:
Interesting that we have no 65-70mph numbers. That's my commute.

You need to slow down :twisted:

Actually, they are talking about avg 55 mph. I guess even 65-70 freeway dashes end up with an avg of 55 mph once you consider typical distance to the freeway both at home & destination.

I suggest you log the actual avg mph on a few days ...

The max speed of 90 will be a motor RPM limitation, not a power limitation.

At 90 mph on level ground only a modest fraction of the max power will be required.

The max power limits two things, acceleration and hill-climbing.

If you have 70% at 70 mph and the rest at some slow stop and go speeds, you might have an average of 55, but that average does not well-describe your trip.

The slow stop and go part has one of the worst range values, and we do not seem to have range estimates for the high-speed part.

evnow said:
DeaneG said:

Actually, they are talking about avg 55 mph. I guess even 65-70 freeway dashes end up with an avg of 55 mph once you consider typical distance to the freeway both at home & destination.

I suggest you log the actual avg mph on a few days ...

Thats what I was going to say. Time your commute that includes 65mph freeway section and when your including the total time from start to finish you'd be lucky to average 55 (for most people).

garygid said:
If you have 70% at 70 mph and the rest at some slow stop and go speeds, you might have an average of 55, but that average does not well-describe your trip.

The slow stop and go part has one of the worst range values, and we do not seem to have range estimates for the high-speed part.

But this IS how they are representing the numbers so far.

As presented, the numbers are only vague guidelines, not really sufficient for evaluating real-life range.

"Learning" range-estimation in demanding situations might require do-it-yourself experience.

DeaneG said:

An energy vs. speed chart has been posted several times. You'll save a decent amount by dropping from 70 to 60mph. Contrary to popular belief, the posted speed limit is a maximum speed, not a minimum :lol: Honestly, I've been trying the last few days to drive as if I were in the Leaf and trying to be frugal with battery power. 60mph in a 65 zone doesn't result in too much of a fuss on a multilane interstate, as long as you stay in the right lane. And if you can fall in behind some truck traffic, you can even be "blameless". :D And in truth, for any reasonable distance, the travel time is not going to be drastically different.

30 miles at 75mph = 24 minutes
30 miles at 60mph = 30 minutes

Some interesting info ...

Why 70 Miles Per Hour Is the New 55

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704688604575125510326010610.html

PJ-AU097A_EYESR_NS_20100316202452.gif

Along with fossil fuel addiction we need to get rid off speed addiction.

Freeway speed limits are 65 here; I'm surprised the "average" meets that; it must include rush hour. Off-peak traffic is much faster.

I've been trying a more relaxed approach to driving lately, but it's not easy when driving a car that's made to go fast. I think it might be easier in the Leaf, but maybe not, without the noise and shifting cues.

Bicster said:
Freeway speed limits are 65 here; I'm surprised the "average" meets that; it must include rush hour. Off-peak traffic is much faster.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003434972_traffic17m.html

Evening congestion on southbound 405 lasted an average of 5 hours, 35 minutes in 2005, longer than anywhere else.
A freeway is considered congested if average speeds drop below 40 mph.

It is sometimes faster to go on normal roads than freeway ...

ps : as to going slow (i.e. below max !) - I guess it depends on the city. I can regularly drive slower in Seattle than all other places I've driven. Seattle people tend to be more "forgiving" - and it is much easier to merge too.

An age-old EV driver's adage ... "Slow down a little, you'll get there faster!" :p ... usually true in any long distance tour that requires at least one stop for charging ... or a tour near the limit of your range when you want to avoid a charge stop altogether. It could also be used to justify taking of the scenic route, if that improves your efficiency (miles-per-kWh).

evnow said:
DeaneG said:

You need to slow down ... suggest you log the actual avg mph on a few days ...

Unfortunately my present car rewards aggressive driving to an almost ridiculous degree. I imagine the Leaf absolutely will not. It should help me avoid being the fast guy, the way my wife's hybrid tends to.

Interesting about "average" speeds - my commute is basically clear freeway with one long traffic light after the exit. So my speed could be 75mph or zero, with little in between. Not at all the same as say a 60 mph "average" speed from an EV range standpoint.

Grabbed the first EVSE installation survey appt available today, for July19. Woohoo.

New range estimates.
see this story.

http://blogs.forbes.com/energysource/2010/06/11/warning-your-mileage-may-vary/?boxes=Homepagelighttop

Gonewild said:
New range estimates.
see this story.

http://blogs.forbes.com/energysource/2010/06/11/warning-your-mileage-may-vary/?boxes=Homepagelighttop

Not new. It is one of the early ones in this thread. I used it in my list of ranges graphics couple of pages back too ...

Nubo said:
Heat pumps are only effective down to about freezing, if memory serves. Not sufficient for a motor vehicle, so you would still need resistive heating, though at milder ambient temps the heat pump could kick in.

No problem, the newer ones work just fine down to at least 0F/-18C though you won't get a COP of 3.5 at those temperatures, more like 2.0. At -5C you'd get a very good COP.

EDIT: The newest models have a COP of 2.5 at -15C which should work very well in a car. They work down to about -25C so a back-up resistance heater is of course also necessary but will get very little use.

Back