Power off car while in D or B mode

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have forgot on occasion and you'll hear the parking pawl motor run when you turn the car off. Nothing bad ever happened....but I wouldn't want to do it on a slope and not have my foot on the brake until the parking pawl engages.

I routinely do this, it goes into Park automatically so seems to be trouble-free (unlike the ICE which beeps horribly when shut off in Drive....)

sorintri said:
Any downside in powering off car while in D or B, without going through P first? Just wondering

As the others have posted, if you are not moving, it will go into park automatically. The "parking" brake, you'll still have to do that yourself. ;)

knightmb said:
sorintri said:
Any downside in powering off car while in D or B, without going through P first? Just wondering

As the others have posted, if you are not moving, it will go into park automatically. The "parking" brake, you'll still have to do that yourself. ;)

Why? I almost never use the parking brake, that's a habit I brought over from ICE world.
I never park on a hill so why use the parking brake?

sorintri said:
Why? I almost never use the parking brake, that's a habit I brought over from ICE world.
I never used the parking brake even in my past ICE vehicles either unless I was parked on a hill. ;)

I use the parking brake out of habit. When I consider changing habits, I think 1) using it probably helps keep it adjusted correctly so it will actually work and 2) it removes any torque on the drive train while engaged.

I've also had one instance where I accidentally starting getting out of the car to retrieve something while the car was in D. The brake slowed the car down enough so I could recover but otherwise it might have crunched into my garage door, which was only a few feet away. So, dumb mistake on my part but all things considered, I don't mind the 1/2 second it takes to push the pedal when I leave the car.

And yeah, I agree that the torque on the drivetrain is probably a non-issue but bearings can be brinelled by small forces so why not?

sorintri said:
Why? Why do I still mask up, and swab myself every week, despite the fact that I'm fully vaccinated with two boosters, the second one Omicron-optimized?

Belt-and-suspenders! Belt-and-suspenders!

Back