Power Max 16A or 30A?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dietersrover

Just looking for thoughts on these two models.
I have a Leaf SV and I don't need to charge super fast, and 12' cable is more than enough.

dietersrover said:
I have a Leaf SV and I don't need to charge super fast, and 12' cable is more than enough.
If you are thinking the charger is only for your current Leaf SV purpose, your decision of power should be considered depending on your Leaf has 6.6kW option or not. With 6.6 kw, you should go for 30A. If I were you, the choice of 16A version is due to limitation of your household power capacity and availability.

And if you're considering the Bosch PowerMax 16A due to its low cost, note that the Clipper Creek LCS-25 can supply up to 20 amps and is only $50 more than the cheapest Bosch. It won't take full advantage of your Leaf's charger, but it's still considerably faster than a 16A unit.

The Clipper Creek unit ships a lot faster than the Bosch units as well. I ordered mine last week and it showed up on my doorstep 3 days later, using their cheapest shipping option.

If you are leasing, you may want to consider the 30A unit, as it'll provide a faster charging capability for future, more capable BEV's, including an [eventual] longer range Leaf. peresonally, I'm waiting until then -when I purchase a Leaf or similar BEV - before I purchase and install a home charger.

Woosie said:
If you are leasing, you may want to consider the 30A unit, as it'll provide a faster charging capability for future, more capable BEV's, including an [eventual] longer range Leaf.
A 16A EVSE would let you drive about 120 miles on 10 hours charging, if your battery was big enough. Unless there is some radical change in batteries that will still be true ten years from now. Bigger batteries will not mean you need faster charging at home. In fact the opposite is true. A bigger battery can act as a buffer, so you wouldn't need to recharge for your maximum driving distance, only your average distance. How many people average more than 100 miles per day? That's more than 36K miles per year!

If you have a very small window for recharging, you need a faster EVSE. This could be 4 hour slot of very cheap electricity in the middle of the night, or a couple sharing the car for two jobs, one on the graveyard shift. But for most of us, faster charging is only important on the road, not in your garage.

Ray

dietersrover said:

Its hard to make a compelling argument for a 16 amp EVSE over a 30 amp EVSE if you Leaf is set up for 6.8 KW. While the 16 amp EVSEs are cheaper, the up cost for a full 30 amp EVSE is not that much more. Considering that you are spending installation costs, why not have the faster charge capability of the 30 amp EVSEs for such a small up charge?

DoctorSaul said:
Its hard to make a compelling argument for a 16 amp EVSE over a 30 amp EVSE if you Leaf is set up for 6.8 KW. While the 16 amp EVSEs are cheaper, the up cost for a full 30 amp EVSE is not that much more. Considering that you are spending installation costs, why not have the faster charge capability of the 30 amp EVSEs for such a small up charge?

As mentioned earlier, existing electric service capacity may be a limiting factor. A home with an existing 125 or even a 100 amp service might be able to handle a 16 amp EVSE, but would likely need an upgrade if you wanted to go with a 30 amp one.

go with the big one. I have run out of fingers to count the number of times I've got home from work with plans to go somewhere else shortly thereafter. You need to have the maximum charging speed for these times and for the occasion when your ev driving friends come over to visit you needing a charge! If you have a slow charger they might hang around too long. You only have to pay for the EVSE once, but you have to live with it for 3 years (or longer hopefully)

I don't know what your plans are for the circuit to power the EVSE, but I would recommend installing a 40A circuit so you have some safety room. At 6.6 kW, the circuit will be drawing at least 27.5A at 240V. 30A is getting pretty slim. This is important because you need to go up a wire size gauge for the 40 vs 30. Another point to consider is that we all believe that in the not-to-distant-future we will see ranges increase. So let's say your next EV will go 200 miles and has a 60 kWh battery, the 6.6 kW on board charger is going to be a lot more attractive for a reasonable recharge time as you are able to use the EV for more regional trips.

When I first started tracking the LEAF about four years ago and then started getting prepared for our LEAF, Nissan was recommending a 30A circuit. Then Ford announced it would charge in half the time than the LEAF with its 3.3 kW charger. Nissan then responded with plans for the 6.6 kW charger. At the same time their specification for the Aerovironment EVSE circuit went from 30A to 40A.

For a 30 amp EVSE You have to run a 40 amp breaker and 8 gauge wire... If your EVSE draws 30 amps continuous, your wire must be sized to handle 37.5 amps. That's 8 gauge. You size the breaker the next size higher or 40 amps. Per the NEC....

It's not the vehicle that plugs into it, it's the capability of the EVSE that dictates the wire size.

Back