Possible Future Electric Mini

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer23

Here's a "Rumormill" article from ABG about a possible new electric Mini in our future, maybe by 2014.

This car would use some of the technology developed for BMW's coming carbon fiber i3, but in a front drive configuration.

After having driven and been very impressed with the current Mini E, if BMW/Mini brings this baby here, it may be my next EV.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/10/electric-mini-rocketman-coming-in-2014/

I talked to a Mini reap at the Twin Cities auto show in March and was impressed how much she knew about their EV program (in contrast, the Ford rep had not even heard that the Focus was going to be available as an EV). However, she told me that the decision had been made not to continue to develop the Mini-E. Hopefully this means that they have decided to pursue it after all.

I was on the waiting list for the Mini E but when it finally came time to be able to lease, BMW's ridiculous lease rate and the total loss of the back seat were both deal breakers for me. It definitely felt more like a garage kit car than a production vehicle...

Boomer23 said:
After having driven and been very impressed with the current Mini E, if BMW/Mini brings this baby here, it may be my next EV.
quote]

Boomer23 said:
Here's a "Rumormill" article from ABG about a possible new electric Mini in our future, maybe by 2014.

This car would use some of the technology developed for BMW's coming carbon fiber i3, but in a front drive configuration.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/10/electric-mini-rocketman-coming-in-2014/
Conceptually very attractive. But MINI/BMW have not made any commitment to this design, let alone US availability. Right now, only the BMW i3 is on the horizon. And only the LEAF is deliverable.

mogur said:
I was on the waiting list for the Mini E but when it finally came time to be able to lease, BMW's ridiculous lease rate and the total loss of the back seat were both deal breakers for me. It definitely felt more like a garage kit car than a production vehicle...

Boomer23 said:
quote]

mogur, the price for the lease was a non-starter for me, as well, and I was already leasing a BMW 3 Series at the time. But the driving experience, albeit in a not-ready-for-prime-time format, was and is so great, I could have lived with the Mini E as my fun car. The lack of a back seat wouldn't have mattered to me.

The lease cost was not bad for what it was, a custom electric conversion.. with a large pack at that. You have been spoiled by the Leaf.

Herm said:
The lease cost was not bad for what it was, a custom electric conversion.. with a large pack at that. You have been spoiled by the Leaf.

I disagree. This was a research project for BMW and they tried to push off some of the cost on the early adopter group at $850 per month. BMW has the resources to support that research project to a greater degree than that. However, they filled their quota with the eager pilot group, so perhaps I'm wrong. But just look at how much car you can get for that monthly amount, there is quite a list of fine cars. (I do realize that the monthly amount for the Mini was inclusive of all maintenance).

Boomer23 said:
I disagree. This was a research project for BMW and they tried to push off some of the cost on the early adopter group at $850 per month. BMW has the resources to support that research project to a greater degree than that.

And it was a CARB play.

evnow said:
Boomer23 said:
I disagree. This was a research project for BMW and they tried to push off some of the cost on the early adopter group at $850 per month. BMW has the resources to support that research project to a greater degree than that.

And it was a CARB play.
+1 to all of the above (AND the lease was only for a year).

evnow said:
Boomer23 said:

And it was a CARB play.
And it IS a fun ride;

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/09/field-testers-of-mini-e-bonded-with-cars-study-finds/

Yep, it was all about politics and gaming the system. BMW had no real interest in ever making the car practical or mass producing it. That was yet another reason I turned it down.

evnow said:
Boomer23 said:

And it was a CARB play.

Back