Possbile to Damage DC-DC Converter?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnrhansen said:
I've had my car since June of 2013, and have had no trouble at all with the 12 v battery. I even left the car sit for 2 weeks once. I say if it's not broke, don't fix it. If your 12v battery ever dies, worry about the battery tender then. Most likely it won't.

I think a better approach would be to not worry about using a maintainer *unless* you regularly have to leave the car plugged in for hours after charging finishes, or take lots of short trips while using accessories like the wheel and seat heaters, rear defroster, wipers, etc. Because the rules about where and when you may get stranded were written by a guy named Murphy...

rhumbliner said:
i've been searching thru the forum trying to answer these questions and wanted to let the group weigh in on this topic. i know the question of leaving the leaf in storage mode has been discussed extensively but i'm not sure the DC-DC Converter has.

in this thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12442&hilit=storage&start=20 Ingineer suggests the safety of connecting a trickle charger to the 12v battery while the battery is still connected to the DC-DC Converter. but in my readings i vaguely recall someone (don't remember who) claiming that the DC-DC Converter could be damaged by being exposed to a trickle charger and that the 12v battery should always be disconnected at the negative post before being connected to a trickle charger.

this also leads to the idea that if it's safe to connect a trickle charger connected to the 12v battery while its connected, then perhaps, for ultra-cold weather storage it would be possible to leave the EVSE plugged in to warm the Li-on battery without discharging the 12v battery.

any thoughts?
I don't see any reason why a trickle charger would damage anything. They automatically shutdown at 14 volts come back at 13 volts and any back current would simply turn into heat if the DC-DC converter was having issues. The return load heat generated would be far less than when the by the DC-DC is in use. When things go bad when dealing with electricity, heat is usually the killer of electronics.

If you have an old-school trickle charger that just floats 14 volts, then with any DC system, it is easy to sync voltages and no current will float since both sides using use the same voltage which results in a net 0 of power flow. You also have to take into account the battery itself is a consumer of power and keeps the bus voltage of the whole thing probably down to only 12 volts.

Back