Portland Oregon Group

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I signed up for 100% renewable electricity as well as time-of-use billing on the Portland General Electric website!

The 100% renewable energy fee will kick in at the start of my next billing cycle on March 3rd, however they didn't state when time-of-use billing will start occurring. When I previously inquired, I was told that it would require a meter swap, however I just got a new meter in 2009 that is supposedly capable of hour-by-hour tracking (via cellular modem).

We'll see, however I'm guessing that it would happen by the first week of April at the latest (the start of the following billing cycle).

DarkStar said:
Today I signed up for 100% renewable electricity as well as time-of-use billing on the Portland General Electric website!

That's great! I finally gave in and signed up for 100% renewable about a year ago, although philosophically I believe they should just do it across the board and charge everyone, instead of weighting the cost to a few. I argued that with them every time I saw them at an event asking me to sign up. They didn't cave, and I finally did...

I will have to check in to the time-of-use - I didn't know that was offered here!

PDXLeafer said:
DarkStar said:

That's great! I finally gave in and signed up for 100% renewable about a year ago, although philosophically I believe they should just do it across the board and charge everyone, instead of weighting the cost to a few. I argued that with them every time I saw them at an event asking me to sign up. They didn't cave, and I finally did...

I will have to check in to the time-of-use - I didn't know that was offered here!

You guys are making me feel guilty. I still haven't signed up for renewable energy. I'll do it today, I promise!
I did sign up for TOU billing back in December through PGE, and they did have to change out the meter. Took over a month before it went in to effect.

PDXLeafer said:
Here's a link to their TOU info: http://www.portlandgeneral.com/residential/your_account/billing_payment/time_of_use/default.aspx

I think it's interesting that they guarantee you'll save money on TOU.

I wasn't too sure about TOU in the beginning, but we figured out that the majority of our energy use will be during off-peak hours with a little during mid-peak hours (primarily on Saturdays)... Almost no use at all during on-peak hours (though I have some zombie loads I need to work on).

GinkoLeaf said:
I'm curious to know what goes on at the monthly OEVA meetings?
Thanks!
Hey GinkoLeaf,

The EVs all show up around 7pm in the World Trade Center courtyard for a little informal show-and-tell with the actual meeting being called at 7:30. Department reports are then given and sometimes members will then report on their vehicle conversions/purchases. We usually have a main presentation after the reports, but sometimes it can be before depending on scheduling...

I believe the presentation next Thursday (March 10th) will be by a member that converted his 2003 BMW 325i to electric, but I don't think it has been confirmed yet.

When we don't have a presentation, we usually do "group breakouts" that usually include: newcomers, conversions, charging stations, EV Awareness Day, and others. EV Awareness Day is our huge yearly event where we take over Pioneer Courthouse Square for the day and show off all kinds of EVs: cars, trucks, boats, bicycles...

--Chris

All right! It's that time again for the monthly Oregon Electric Vehicle Association meeting this Thursday, March 10th. I haven't heard an official agenda, however there are rumors a member was able to purchase a Chevy Volt and it will there at the meeting! Cars start showing up between 6:30 and 7pm, and the meeting starts at 7:30. All meetings are free and open to the public!

bowthom said:
Unfortunately I don't get to go cuz' I teach a Thursday eve class. :(
How are Tuesday evenings? I'm working on possibly organizing a monthly LEAF social meetup on the 4th Tuesday of the month (so there is an even split between OEVA and LEAF meetings)...

Maybe the first gathering on March 22nd at La Bella Vita Pizzeria in Hillsboro? They have a nice party room in the back with an LCD television that could be used for presentations (or internet surfing)... :D No charging in the parking lot, but the 53rd Avenue Community Park across the parking lot might be a good place to ask the city to install some! ;)

Hi folks,

New to the board. I am scheduled to have the charger installed this Friday in anticipation of delivery sometime late March (or early April). Ecotality informed me that Joseph Hughes Construction folks will be doing the installation, as part of the ETEC deal. Any tips, or pointers on what I need to watch for? My garage already has a 220V drop (used by the previous owner for an electric range) which is available for tapping into.

greenwayleaf said:
Hi folks,

New to the board. I am scheduled to have the charger installed this Friday in anticipation of delivery sometime late March (or early April). Ecotality informed me that Joseph Hughes Construction folks will be doing the installation, as part of the ETEC deal. Any tips, or pointers on what I need to watch for? My garage already has a 220V drop (used by the previous owner for an electric range) which is available for tapping into.
Welcome aboard :)

Joseph Hughes Construction also gave me my assessment/estimate. They passed my initial criteria - responded to emails, answered their phones, showed up on time, gave me a reasonable estimate. Time will tell, but I get the feeling that they are an up-front outfit and will do a good job.

Your setup sounds straightforward and should not be a complicated installation. Let us know how it goes.

DarkStar said:
bowthom said:
How are Tuesday evenings? I'm working on possibly organizing a monthly LEAF social meetup on the 4th Tuesday of the month (so there is an even split between OEVA and LEAF meetings)...

Maybe the first gathering on March 22nd at La Bella Vita Pizzeria in Hillsboro? They have a nice party room in the back with an LCD television that could be used for presentations (or internet surfing)... :D No charging in the parking lot, but the 53rd Avenue Community Park across the parking lot might be a good place to ask the city to install some! ;)

I like the idea of a monthly Leaf social meetup. Not to sound like a 'wanker', but could it be at a more central location as I live in Happy Valley? :mrgreen:

GinkoLeaf said:
DarkStar said:
bowthom said:

I like the idea of a monthly Leaf social meetup. Not to sound like a 'wanker', but could it be at a more central location as I live in Happy Valley? :mrgreen:
I'm open to suggestions! I know The Buffalo Gap in Portland (off of Macadam) has a meeting room that would be great for group socializing with a LCD television that can be used for presentations...

I'm open to suggestions! I know The Buffalo Gap in Portland (off of Macadam) has a meeting room that would be great for group socializing with a LCD television that can be used for presentations...[/quote]

I'm actually new to PDX, so I don't know of any good places yet. So I'm open to suggestions too :)

OK, the parties showed up on time (8 AM Friday). Electrician was from Parkin Electric, under supervision of Joseph Hughes construction contractor. Installation of Blink level 2 charger took a little more than an hour and everything went well. Connecting the unit to my house's wireless network was also pretty easy (via its touch screen menu system). They tested the unit by connecting the charger to a box which simulated the car being charged. Now we wait for an actual Leaf to arrive to see how the charger performs (currently scheduled for week of April 1)! I took some photos of the charger installation process. Let me know if there are any interests in posting the pictures.

greenwayleaf said:
OK, the parties showed up on time (8 AM Friday). Electrician was from Parkin Electric, under supervision of Joseph Hughes construction contractor. Installation of Blink level 2 charger took a little more than an hour and everything went well. Connecting the unit to my house's wireless network was also pretty easy (via its touch screen menu system). They tested the unit by connecting the charger to a box which simulated the car being charged. Now we wait for an actual Leaf to arrive to see how the charger performs (currently scheduled for week of April 1)! I took some photos of the charger installation process. Let me know if there are any interests in posting the pictures.
Unless your LEAF and mine are already in transit or have arrived in the US we might have a much longer wait than expected. I think I saw my Glacier Pearl SL floating out to sea.

1953austin said:
Unless your LEAF and mine are already in transit or have arrived in the US we might have a much longer wait than expected. I think I saw my Glacier Pearl SL floating out to sea.
The dashboard still says "week of April 01" so will keep the fingers crossed. I suppose in the great scheme of things, and given the enormity of the disaster in Japan, we can be a bit more patient. After all, it is a car!

greenwayleaf said:
1953austin said:
The dashboard still says "week of April 01" so will keep the fingers crossed. I suppose in the great scheme of things, and given the enormity of the disaster in Japan, we can be a bit more patient. After all, it is a car!
With your April delivery date your car might be on the ship that left japan March 10th.Apparenlty the Amdromeda Spirit is sailing to the US with 600 LEAF's on board. Hope yours is one of them. My Dashboard still says May delivery so I don't expect my car anytime soon.

1953austin said:
greenwayleaf said:
With your April delivery date your car might be on the ship that left japan March 10th.Apparenlty the Amdromeda Spirit is sailing to the US with 600 LEAF's on board. Hope yours is one of them. My Dashboard still says May delivery so I don't expect my car anytime soon.
greenwayleaf should already have Carwings open and a VIN with a week of April 01 delivery date. Would be interesting to know when that happened - but both signs indicate that his car is already in Long Beach at least. You don't get Carwings access or a "week of" delivery date until the car gets to Long Beach.

ETA from Yokohama to Long Beach to dealer to owner is appx 4-6 weeks so there is no way that greenwayleaf's car left Japan on the last boat on Mar 10th - it left much sooner.

Back