Poll : Are you having problems with your Blink EVSE ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you having problems with your Blink EVSE ?

• No problems at all !

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • Minor problems

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Wi-Fi connection problems

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • Crashes - does not affect charging

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Crashes - affects charging

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • Others

Votes: 10 10.9%

• Total voters

evnow

With many problems being reported, let us take a vote.

If you have multiple problems, select the most critical - the options are listed in the ascending order of criticality, except for the last "others".

Running on wifi, I'm getting the occasional locked screen and loss of network problems.. The blink still charges the car wonderfully (using the Leaf-based timer), but I did get a nasty-gram from Blink the other day mentioning that my unit will be disabled if I do not get it hooked back up to the network pronto. I do wonder how they'll manage to do that if the unit gets disconnected from the network again..... :oops:

TLeaf said:
Running on wifi, I'm getting the occasional locked screen and loss of network problems.. The blink still charges the car wonderfully (using the Leaf-based timer), but I did get a nasty-gram from Blink the other day mentioning that my unit will be disabled if I do not get it hooked back up to the network pronto. I do wonder how they'll manage to do that if the unit gets disconnected from the network again..... :oops:
Have you logged a bug with them ? That should stop the nasty-gram. When I get network problems, I power cycle it. That fixes the issue.

I voted "others' because I have both crashes affects charging; 1 time/week and Wifi problems 2-3 times/week. Also, the continuous, 12-15W power draw, I categorize as a minor problem.
That said, I am happy to be part of the EV Project and hope Ecotality manages to quickly squash these bugs and gathers useful data from these units. It would be nice to see a few public L3 EVSEs soon also.
$100M from USGovt. in Aug 2009 supplied as matching funds. So, they need to
-- Buy/deploy 1000 Nissan LEAFS
-- Install 250 L3 and 11,500 L2 stations

I wonder if the Blink in-home deployment is costing more than they anticipated. So many different install configurations; public utility rules, auto OEM interfaces. It's a rather complex system engineering task with two basic requirements; deliver joules to EVs and deliver bytes of data to EVP. And one more-- show increasing value to shareholders.

evnow said:
When I get network problems, I power cycle it. That fixes the issue.

Evnow, what do you mean "power cycle it"? Is that shutting down the power and rebooting it with going through the connection screens again?

I chose Wi-Fi but it's actually just network issues in general.
Wired or wireless, it drops all connectivity.
Power cycling will fix the issue about 1/3 rd of the time.

Azrich said:
Evnow, what do you mean "power cycle it"? Is that shutting down the power and rebooting it with going through the connection screens again?
Swithc it off & on from the panel. BTW, no need to recalibrate etc - it will default to previous settings after a while.

sparky said:
I voted "others' because I have both crashes affects charging; 1 time/week and Wifi problems 2-3 times/week.
You should change to crashes affects charging - so know how many have this most severe problem.

If you have multiple problems, select the most critical - the options are listed in the ascending order of criticality, except for the last "others".

I'm putting "other" for now. Was installed on Monday, I don't have my Leaf yet, but the Always-On screen in my opinion is a problem. I don't care about the power draw, I care about the light pollution of it constantly glowing. Why? Have it time out and go dark until the screen is touched again. Maybe they can do a firmware update eventually to allow that.

Thank goodness I am not the only one having problems with the Blink.

The whole thing drives me mad...it drops charges and leaves me with an uncharged car the next day. It just crashes and
then stops charging. It also generates charge fault notifications on the Leaf at times.

I almost miss the temporary low-tech charger they had put in prior to the Blink...

When I unplugged from the Blink yesterday morning everything looked normal on the screen, however that evening when my wife and I arrived home, it had the "Blink" logo screen with the options to configure or begin charging. I didn't plug in but clicked on the configure option and then Exit Setup and the Blink then went to the "press to calibrate screen" message. I decided to try to go through the setup and when I picked my wifi router it went to the "press to calibrate screen" message again. I powered off the EVSE and then restarted it and was able to go through the setup again successfully and it brought me back to the normal screen ("charging will begin in ## minutes").

This morning I unplugged and the screen was at the "charging will begin in ## minutes" and the car was fully charged, so we'll see what happens again tonight.

I hope they get their act together, and soon. Someone ignored the first rule of car charging...that the car MUST get charged unless there's a safety related failure. There's absolutely ZERO excuse for network connectivity issues to be affecting vehicle charging.

I chose crashes - affects charging, even though I haven't noticed "crashing" per se. Something is happening to stop the charge.

Got to be honest with you guys about two things:

1) That I've never been happier to be excluded from a scheme where I stand to get free stuff.

2) That I'm glad Robert Dickens never took my suggestion of going and working with him on the EV Project roll-out seriously.

DarkStar said:
When I unplugged from the Blink yesterday morning everything looked normal on the screen, however that evening when my wife and I arrived home, it had the "Blink" logo screen with the options to configure or begin charging. I didn't plug in but clicked on the configure option and then Exit Setup and the Blink then went to the "press to calibrate screen" message. I decided to try to go through the setup and when I picked my wifi router it went to the "press to calibrate screen" message again. I powered off the EVSE and then restarted it and was able to go through the setup again successfully and it brought me back to the normal screen ("charging will begin in ## minutes").

This morning I unplugged and the screen was at the "charging will begin in ## minutes" and the car was fully charged, so we'll see what happens again tonight.
Do you have the lastest software?
What version do you have?

I got mine installed yesterday and no problems with my first over night charge cycle.

Back