Poll : Are you having problems with your Blink EVSE ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you having problems with your Blink EVSE ?

• No problems at all !

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • Minor problems

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Wi-Fi connection problems

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • Crashes - does not affect charging

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Crashes - affects charging

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • Others

Votes: 10 10.9%

• Total voters
Yami1975 said:
I can't find any firewall issues, and every other WiFi device connects just fine (one Wii, two iPod Touches, and a netbook.) Does anybody have an idea why Blink alone won't connect? The signal and IP address assignment work fine, so I can't understand why the DNS acquisition wouldn't work as well. :?
I had the same issue. Blink didn't like my router. I changed to an older router.

LEAFer said:
Does the router need to be configured with a DNS server (like 208.67.222.222) ?

It doesn't need to be for any of the other things I connect via WiFi. It pulls the DNS address automatically from the ISP. That's why I'm so confused. I'd be more than a little bummed if I had to downgrade the router to keep Blink happy. Hopefully there's another way (firmware updates or something.)

Yami1975 said:
LEAFer said:
Does the router need to be configured with a DNS server (like 208.67.222.222) ?

It doesn't need to be for any of the other things I connect via WiFi. It pulls the DNS address automatically from the ISP. That's why I'm so confused. I'd be more than a little bummed if I had to downgrade the router to keep Blink happy. Hopefully there's another way (firmware updates or something.)
If the "other" devices pull the DNS from the ISP successfully ... maybe the Blink is too dumb to do that ? So ... if it's easy enough to change the config on the router (even if temporarily to test and prove the point of the "dumb" Blink), why not add a DNS address at the router level ?

I came out to an uncharged car this morning. This is the fourth issue that I've had with the Blink since I took delivery of my LEAF, with the others being network connectivity, the unit displaying charging when the car's charge timer was set and the EVSE triggering the illumination of the EV System indicator light on my LEAF - that issue was investigated by Nissan engineers and confirmed by Blink. In my opinion the Blink is too "smart" for its own good. I'm not sure that they needed to include all of these bells and whistles to compile the data they need for DOE.

LBCev said:
the unit displaying charging when the car's charge timer was set and the EVSE triggering the illumination of the EV System indicator light on my LEAF
So did the Blink not latch it's relay and supply power when it stated "Charging" or did the LEAF not start charging based on its timer? Thx!

DarkStar said:
LBCev said:
the unit displaying charging when the car's charge timer was set and the EVSE triggering the illumination of the EV System indicator light on my LEAF
So did the Blink not latch it's relay and supply power when it stated "Charging" or did the LEAF not start charging based on its timer? Thx!

Both - they were two separate issues. Initially the Blink would state that the car was "charging" but the LEAF would not charge based on it's timer setting. After the "4A" firmware update the Blink gave me a "not charging" message and the car registered a "latch error" which triggered the illumination of the EV System indicator light. In that case, the EVSE supplied power and charged the car to 100%. Now I'm on firmware version "5A"; the EV System indicator light was triggered and the car did not charge. I will have to take it in to get the error codes. I turned off my timer and tried to force an immediate charge at plug-in but got the "not charging" message on the Blink. Checking the status on the LEAF owners portal, the car was plugged in and not charging - so I initiated charging from there. I contacted Blink support this morning and still haven't heard back. I will report back when I know more.

I don't have a Blink; but, with so many problems I believe they don't care if their products work or not. Perhaps all they are doing is milking the DOE and investor out of their money! :twisted:

Just plugged in my new Leaf to my Blink for the first time and the blink says -- updating firmware. I hope it will charge tonight at some point. Did that happen to anyone else? I set the timer on the Leaf to charge now, but I can't tell if it's charging because of the firmware message.

SharonaLA said:
Just plugged in my new Leaf to my Blink for the first time and the blink says -- updating firmware. I hope it will charge tonight at some point. Did that happen to anyone else? I set the timer on the Leaf to charge now, but I can't tell if it's charging because of the firmware message.

There will be one of the 3 blue lights on the dash blinking if the car is charging.

When all 3 are steady, you are fully charged; right & center steady plus left 1 blinking = 66-99% charged, right 1 steady plus center blinking = 33-66% charged, and the right 1 blinking = 0 - 33% charged.

I haven't had the 'updating firmware appear' while charging.

It is interesting that people are finding older access points or routers are working better.

I am using a Cisco 1130 that was a spare from my office. I had customized the settings on it extensively for my laptops and iPhone, including setting the DNS to something other than suggested by my ISP.

I have never had a problem with the Blink connecting. It found the access point instantly, and connected on the first try. I gets the DNS information from your DHCP server, which could be on the access point/router. Most home environments do it this way.

I am using 'Open DNS' for my DNS server, at 208.67.222.222 .

My take on this is that the wireless access point/router may have configuration issues, either in setting up the SSID connection parameters, or setting up the DHCP service. We have a few quirky laptops (such as Lenovo X201 tablet) that are really fussy, but once you get it right they are rock solid.

In the month that I've had the Leaf, the Blink has updated firmware once during the day when I was away, and twice rebooted itself while connected but not charging at 2am. Since the Leaf was set for an 80% charge, this triggered a brief charge session, followed by a text to my iPhone that the charging was complete. Not exactly appreciated to get a text at 2am. Aside from that, zero issues here with the Blink.

AmarilloLeaf said:
SharonaLA said:

There will be one of the 3 blue lights on the dash blinking if the car is charging.

When all 3 are steady, you are fully charged; right & center steady plus left 1 blinking = 66-99% charged, right 1 steady plus center blinking = 33-66% charged, and the right 1 blinking = 0 - 33% charged.

I haven't had the 'updating firmware appear' while charging.

Thanks! That tells me it's not charging. I have a call in to Blink to ask them what to do.

so at 9pm pdt, the system rolled to May 1st ( i guess the servers are east coast based). it stopped charging for about 25 mins then kicked in again at about 9:25.

Anyway to calibrate the touch screen? mine is about half a centimeter off

qcar said:
so at 9pm pdt, the system rolled to May 1st ( i guess the servers are east coast based). it stopped charging for about 25 mins then kicked in again at about 9:25.

Anyway to calibrate the touch screen? mine is about half a centimeter off

The web based information seems to be an hour faster than what appears on the screen of the Blink itself. (I'm in central time zone.)

My calibration was off when I first started the system. I rebooted it by toggling the circuit breaker off, waiting 30 seconds, then turning on.

I then was more careful about hitting the X at the right place, and the calibration now is good.

If it asks you to repeat the wireless settings, skip that part. It will remember what you put in last time.

Just had it installed Monday and there are two minor things so far: The first thing was the screen just went blank, but the backlight stayed on. When I unplugged it to reboot, it took many 'rescans' to have my network to show. I had no idea there were so many wireless networks in our neighborhood! My PV monitor only picks up two others, but the Blink picked up about 8. I hope Blink installs that 'sleep' mode update soon.

I've had my charger for 2 months, but only just today got my car. So when I plugged it in, it didn't know the car was connected.

Turns out because it sat unused for so long, it sort of locked up. Had to power it off for 3 full minutes and then let it run about 3 firmware updates.

After that, it's working like a charm.

The guy also mentioned that setting charging schedules on the Blink has a glitch they haven't fixed yet where if you set the time for exactly 12:00AM Sunday night to Monday morning, it won't charge. If you make the time 12:10 it works fine.

They swapped out my problematic charger for a new one. The only challenge tonight was that I tried using the charging schedule/timer. I set it to start at 9 p.m., but I noticed it wasn't on at 9:30 p.m. I checked the car and the clock for the charging timer thinks it's 8:30 p.m., even though the dash clock said 9:30 p.m.

I had to switch off the timer and just charge it automatically. I'll try it again tonight. Dealer said I should do 100 percent charges twice a week and 80 percent charges the rest of those days...

no problems - except that I can't get one installed........multiple calls, Leaf delivered on Monday this week - and still trying to live with the 'trickle-only' charging.......looking forward to receiving my Blink!
RickJ

SanDust said:
For those having constant problems with the wireless connection, or those who have had to disable their security and who aren't comfortable with having done that, you can run a wired connection. Running CAT may not be be practical but you can get a couple of power line adapters for less than $80 for the pair which should completely solve all the connection issues.
I had my Blink installed today and the tech said that he came ready with the power line adapters in case the Blink can't connect to my router wifi, then he'd be authorized to include the power line adapters as part of the free installation to enable the network connection. I wouldn't have had to pay anything for those power line adapters. But as it turned out, my Blink connects to my router through wifi just fine, so I didn't get to have the power line adapters.

Hello Blinkers,
WELL NOW.............. I charged my leaf up to 100% this morning and my wife took off for Washington. When she got back I plugged in the blink and the screen started flashing, it did 2 reboots then got caught in a loop between the "not charging" and "plug in your vehicle" screens. Back and forth it went every couple of seconds until I unplugged the Leaf. I power cycled it and tried again but same result, did that a couple of times in fact. I logged onto the blink network and even though the unit looked normal it was actually sending charge events to the network every 2 seconds and my screen filled with 6 pages of failed events. SO, I turned off the breaker and put a call in to CS. Of course, there's no one there except an operator but I left a message.

I was working in the shop today which included air compressor, drill press and TIG welder, suppose the welding did it in? I had considered powering it down during the welding but I thought it would be a good test. :oops:

Thank goodness I now have an upgraded (ingineer) portable EVSE out there as a backup, charging the Leaf.

Back