PlugShare now available for Android - GPS issue fixed

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been waiting for this!

unfortunatetly, I have already gotten a bug, it seems when I exit the application, the GPS stills stays on. Is there a way to close down the program instead of just exiting? Now, everytime I use it I have to go and force it close after I am done...hmm..

Even though I use an iPhone, this is good news because that means the user base should be larger now, which means more places to charge! Now if they'd just get a web version so people without a smartphone could join.

Pipcecil said:

unfortunatetly, I have already gotten a bug, it seems when I exit the application, the GPS stills stays on. Is there a way to close down the program instead of just exiting? Now, everytime I use it I have to go and force it close after I am done...hmm..
There is a link on their web page to report bugs.
http://www.plugshare.com/#release_notes

Pipcecil said:

Yep, experience the same bug and sent them an email describing the problem. Hopefully it gets fixed soon! :D

Thank you for letting us know - awsome app!

If any one is in the Nashville, TN (donelson area 37214) area and needs a "boost" my BLINK is available, just PM me - call using the number provided -

Ralph

Nice light weight app.

Plus
Fast
Simple
Intuitive
Easy to add sites
Easy to edit sites

Minus
120/J1772 only. No legacy/RV info
No charge site use history (Check-in / I was there)
Crowd source data. (But looked mostly correct in my area)
No parking or charging price info.

Totally sufficient for most urban LEAF/Volt drivers with a ChargePoint and Blink account and card(s).

Can you easily toggle on/off having your home listed? For example, when we're on vacation there will be zero access as my charger is in the garage. When I'm in town, it can be available on a regular basis.

Their website didn't help much, or at least the link where the app info was located.

1. Can you sign up on the web or only through the app?
2. How much info do they ask? Would love to see the complete process on their website!

I DL'd the app but am waiting to sign up until I know about the vacation issue... we're leaving soon so I don't want to sign up only to not be able to offer anything.

DarkStar said:
Pipcecil said:

Yep, experience the same bug and sent them an email describing the problem. Hopefully it gets fixed soon! :D
Bug reports probably need fairly complete configuration information. E.g., on my phone the plugshare app works like all other location aware apps. It uses GPS if available, and if not then it gets an approximate position (from cell towers I think). If you manually turn on GPS and then want it off, you must manually turn it off. But the app doesn't turn it on and leave it on.

This is on a pretty old Android version. Different versions, and probably even different handset manufacturers, could make a difference in behavior. (Unlike iPhone where everything is done the one and only Jobsian way.)

My phone which does not exhibit that GPS bug is:

Samsung Vibrant (T-Mobile branded Galaxy)
Android 2.1-update1
Kernel 2.6.29
Build: ECLAIR.UVKA2

Seems to work fine on my Sprint Evo with Android 2.3.3. It's nice to finally have it available!

Pipcecil said:

walterbays said:
DarkStar said:
Pipcecil said:

Bug reports probably need fairly complete configuration information. E.g., on my phone the plugshare app works like all other location aware apps. It uses GPS if available, and if not then it gets an approximate position (from cell towers I think). If you manually turn on GPS and then want it off, you must manually turn it off. But the app doesn't turn it on and leave it on.

This is on a pretty old Android version. Different versions, and probably even different handset manufacturers, could make a difference in behavior. (Unlike iPhone where everything is done the one and only Jobsian way.)

My phone which does not exhibit that GPS bug is:

Samsung Vibrant (T-Mobile branded Galaxy)
Android 2.1-update1
Kernel 2.6.29
Build: ECLAIR.UVKA2
I received an email reply from PlugShare stating that they've determined a solution for the issue and will be releasing a new version soon. I provided a lot more details in my email as this thread isn't monitored for bug reports.

Hi guys,

Armen from PlugShare here. We are aware of the GPS issue and are working on a fix. GoSolar -- you can easily toggle sharing on/off at any time after registration. KeiJidosha -- we will release check-in functionality soon, stay tuned...

We appreciate any and all feedback. You can email us any time at [email protected] with comments/suggestions!

Hi everyone,

We have just uploaded a new version of PlugShare to the Android market which should fix the GPS issue. If you don't have auto-update turned on you can download the update manually.

Kevin-- we support the idea behind OpenChargeMap, but the information there is quite limited and it would be more trouble to integrate the info than to maintain our own database. PlugShare users are adding and editing public charging station information every day; to my knowledge we have the largest and most comprehensive database of public charging stations available.

LeafFanatic said:
Kevin-- we support the idea behind OpenChargeMap, but the information there is quite limited and it would be more trouble to integrate the info than to maintain our own database. PlugShare users are adding and editing public charging station information every day; to my knowledge we have the largest and most comprehensive database of public charging stations available.

FYI I tried adding the Balboa Park charging stations to OpenChargeMap days ago and they still don't show up. In PlugShare they appear immediately. I'm also able to instantly edit the existing station info about availability times, issues, etc.

KevinSharpe said:
jcesare said:
FYI I tried adding the Balboa Park charging stations to OpenChargeMap days ago and they still don't show up.
did you attempt to contact the OCM community to report this issue?
No. When you submit info it states that it will be reviewed. I figured they were just slow. Which, BTW, was kinda the point of the post about PlugShare using its own database. There are too many data changes to rely on a gatekeeper. It should work like Wikipedia, instant updates by anyone who is registered.

jcesare said:
There are too many data changes to rely on a gatekeeper. It should work like Wikipedia, instant updates by anyone who is registered.
without gatekeepers it's difficult to maintain quality of data and without that the database will be useless. obviously, as the number of volunteers grows then so will the number of gatekeepers.

the problem with commercial efforts like PlugShare is that when the money runs out all the data is lost... the whole point in a free and open database like OpenChargeMap is to ensure that we never lose all the data again.... anyone can download and use the data for any purpose.

with 63 EV charging websites collating the data today do you really think that closed and proprietary databases is the way forward?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/openchargemap/forums/forum/1250135/topic/3889257

KevinSharpe said:
with 63 EV charging websites collating the data today do you really think that closed and proprietary databases is the way forward?
Yes I do. I've been a DBA for 30 years and IMO targeted proprietary databases are preferable to filtering out all the garbage in public databases. Case in point is OpenChargeMap. The San Diego info is worthless for Leaf owners. Only two Nissan dealerships are listed and the rest is mostly outdated Avcon equipment. Plus, my attempts to update it have failed. If the data in a database is valuable, it won't go away. Someone will pay for it.

jcesare said:
Only two Nissan dealerships are listed and the rest is mostly outdated Avcon equipment. Plus, my attempts to update it have failed.
How do you know your updates have failed if you don't ask the project admins what happened to your data? It's easy to criticise community efforts from the sidelines without investing effort to make them work.... why not get involved and help build a useful database that we can all use?

Back