Please help an ignorant person -- me!-question about 2012 SV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing I just thought of. Near as I could tell they only had the one key fob for the car. I asked and the salesman knew nothing of a 2nd one.

I learned this lesson the hard way when we bought the Prius!!!!!!!

When we bought our Prius, I had signed on the dotted line and then I figured out they only had one key fob. We need two! So that was an expensive addition I had to do.

I assume the LEAF comes with two? How much does it cost to get another one?

coalesce99 said:
Another thing I just thought of. Near as I could tell they only had the one key fob for the car. I asked and the salesman knew nothing of a 2nd one.

When we bought our Prius, I had signed on the dotted line and then I figured out they only had one key fob. We need two! So that was an expensive addition I had to do.

Normal is 2 - as 'usual' these days the 'programming' can be as expensive as the additional FOB. I would negotiate with the dealer to include 2 rather than deal with it myself and not sign until you have confirmed both work.

I have gotten so used to just keeping the FOB in my pocket and not thinking about it. My wife keeps her in her purse. She hasn't forgotten her purse on a trip in the Leaf since and no lost keys either... I wouldn't want to have to share a single FOB.

Slow1 said:
coalesce99 said:

Normal is 2 - as 'usual' these days the 'programming' can be as expensive as the additional FOB. I would negotiate with the dealer to include 2 rather than deal with it myself and not sign until you have confirmed both work.

I have gotten so used to just keeping the FOB in my pocket and not thinking about it. My wife keeps her in her purse. She hasn't forgotten her purse on a trip in the Leaf since and no lost keys either... I wouldn't want to have to share a single FOB.

Agreed completely! Same with us with our Prius. We have to have 2!

Which charger is this? The slow one right?

charger_zps13sxcr0v.png

That is an EVSE - a cable that provides power to the OBC (On board charger). THe "3.3kW" vs "6kW" OBC is model/car dependent and both can use the same OEM provided cable.

Now - looking at that picture it appears to me that the plug on that EVSE is not the stock/default plug for 110v. (Hard for me to really see clearly or if I'm imagining things). The standard cable would have had a 'normal' 3-prong 110v plug on it that would allow you to 'trickle' charge at about 1.2kW. IF that cable was upgraded (EVSEUpgrade) then it may allow you to plug into a 240v outlet and charge at your full 3.3kW.

I requested a closer picture. Stay tuned. Also, previous owner was also in Missouri, in the St. Louis area (other side of the state from me, but very similar climate).

desiv said:
I read on this board somewhere that it's about $200 to get another one?????

More like $250-300 for parts and labor to program it to the car. I know this from experience.

RonDawg said:
desiv said:
I read on this board somewhere that it's about $200 to get another one?????

More like $250-300 for parts and labor to program it to the car. I know this from experience.

Yeah, I called the nearby dealer and they want $269 parts and labor. The salesman at this car lot says it can be done cheaper if you buy the fob off the net. I'm a little dubious.

Looks just like my standard 120v trickle charge EVSE.
(Nicer looking than mine tho. Mine apparently spent a lot of time outdoors for the previous owner.. ;-) )

desiv

desiv said:
Looks just like my standard 120v trickle charge EVSE.
(Nicer looking than mine tho. Mine apparently spent a lot of time outdoors for the previous owner.. ;-) )

desiv

Okay, so I'm looking at $287 to get the 240v charger? Please forgive my ignorance, but do I need one of those funky-looking outlets like you plug you washer and dryer into?

Also I have to get a key fob.

I'm thinking of offering $11K for this 2012 w/ 15K miles on it. What do you guys think?

coalesce99 said:
Okay, so I'm looking at $287 to get the 240v charger? Please forgive my ignorance, but do I need one of those funky-looking outlets like you plug you washer and dryer into?
That sounds about right for the EVSE upgrade.
And yeah, you'll need another receptacle installed. EVSEUpgrade supports a few different types of plugs (and has adapters).
I had an electrician put in a dryer receptacle for my 240v EVSE.

Depending on your range/use, you could stick with 120v too. A lot of people do that.. (I didn't, as I said.. )
Although you still want to make sure you have a "safe" 120v outlet.
Just like with electric heaters, these things pull AMPs and you want a good plug/recptacle.

I mostly opted for a more permanent 220v unit so I wouldn't be plugging and unplugging my Nissan EVSE all the time.
(I have yet to "need" to carry my Nissan EVSE while in the wild, but I feel better having it in the car. ;-) )

desiv

coalesce99 said:
What about their asking price of $13K? They're not budging off of that. At least not yet. They've had the car for at least a month though. That much I know.

I would start by visiting a Nisan dealership and see what you could get for a new model S w/QC. Include the $7500 federal rebate (I seem to recall you don't have any state rebates) and see what your net price ends up being. This should be your "new" comparison in my opinion.

The $13K may well be a good enough price - that car seems to be in good shape battery wise and certainly doesn't have a lot of miles on it. Are there any other used Leafs available in your area? What are the asking prices for those - find a couple lower and you have negotiating room; if all used are higher then perhaps that is a good price eh?

Slow1 said:
coalesce99 said:
What about their asking price of $13K? They're not budging off of that. At least not yet. They've had the car for at least a month though. That much I know.

I would start by visiting a Nisan dealership and see what you could get for a new model S w/QC. Include the $7500 federal rebate (I seem to recall you don't have any state rebates) and see what your net price ends up being. This should be your "new" comparison in my opinion.

The $13K may well be a good enough price - that car seems to be in good shape battery wise and certainly doesn't have a lot of miles on it. Are there any other used Leafs available in your area? What are the asking prices for those - find a couple lower and you have negotiating room; if all used are higher then perhaps that is a good price eh?

There are no state incentives here of any kind. And, I hate to say it, but I think the price may be decent. Other used ones in the area are more expensive.

coalesce99 said:
There are no state incentives here of any kind. And, I hate to say it, but I think the price may be decent. Other used ones in the area are more expensive.
Seems like a reasonable choice for the usage you outlined.
A used 2012 SL in good condition is not a bad choice.
Last January 2015 auction and retail estimates on 2011 are here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8354&start=310#p410913" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Your price is in line with retail average.
Only way to save significantly would be if you could buy wholesale at auction.
But that does have risks and difficult to do some places.

With your limited range needs battery should last a long time.
Highest capacity losses were a five capacity bar loss returned from lease in Arizona.
And TaylorSFGuy in Pacific Northwest has over 132,000 miles on his with four capacity bars lost.

If you could get a 2013 SL at a good price I would probably lean that direction.
Slight battery chemistry tweak that seems to lose capacity slower than 2011 and 2012.
Also has heat pump heater and 6.0 kW much faster on board charger.
Some have the around view monitor which many have raved about and Bose stereo.
Also leather seats.
But they are around $3,000 to $4,000 higher in the used market.
See:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19362#p415181" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Slow1 said:
coalesce99 said:

for those of us in flyover country with average annual incomes by city in the $25,000 to $50,000 range there isn't a $7500 rebate there is an UP TO $7500 rebate. With the actual amount being only a couple of thousand for a single income family and maybe a 3 or 4 thousand for a dual income family. It just isn't that big of a rebate for those at the lower end of the income spectrum.

For example the person you replied to was in Kansas City, MO. Google says:
Kansas City, MO Income and Salaries. The income per capita is $26,806, which includes all adults and children. The median household income is $45,150.
as another example my city says:
Knoxville, TN Income and Salaries. The income per capita is $23,173, which includes all adults and children. The median household income is $33,118.

check your 1040 (1040a, 1040ez, whatever) and see what your actual tax liability was for 2014. For most of us it was significantly below $7500 even if we have above average incomes compared to our cities.

Back