plan for getting an evse

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkshack

I have had my leaf for about 5 months and have been using level one charging without much difficulty.

I have been thinking of upgrading to one of the level 2 chargers. The reason for the change primarily is that if the car is charging and I use a hair dryer in my bathroom a breaker flips.

My current thought is to first have an electrician install a jack with a 240 and 120 volt jack installed on the same circuit (but different from the rest of the house). Then after I have absorbed that expense get a plug in level 2 charger.

I was thinking this would allow me to defer cost and simplify the installation.

Please give me feed back on this plan.

Also if you could recommend models of chargers? I also welcome any suggestions as to future proof the installation.

rkshack

Can you use a different outlet?
Is EV Project http://www.theevproject.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; available in your area?

If you are in an area without much public L2 then see http://evseupgrade.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it can help you get around easier.

240V circuits should not have 120V outlets on it. So you will need two new circuits one 240V and one 120V.

240V charging is more efficient than 120V.

So put a new 240V outlet(receptacle) and upgrade your EVSE.

The easiest way to do this, is to have a local electrician install a 240 volt circuit with an L6-20 outlet in the box. Then just get the evse upgrade and you are good to go.

http://www.evseupgrade.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have used mine for almost a year now and had zero problems.

camasleaf said:
Can you use a different outlet?
Is EV Project http://www.theevproject.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; available in your area?

If you are in an area without much public L2 then see http://evseupgrade.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it can help you get around easier.

240V circuits should not have 120V outlets on it. So you will need two new circuits one 240V and one 120V.

240V charging is more efficient than 120V.

So put a new 240V outlet(receptacle) and upgrade your EVSE.

so you can't put two outlets on the one circuit? Also a circuit is a wire to your breaker box correct?

I just put in my information to the evproject. I guess I will see what they say.

rkshack

EVSE upgrade will plug in direct to an L6-20 outlet.

For a 20 amp circuit I recommend the Leviton 160 if you prefer to buy a wall unit. This will plug into a regular 6-20 outlet.

So just decide and have the electrician install what you need.

20 amp circuit and Leviton 160 will charge any J-1772 vehicle just fine including all future cars that use this plug. Generally 20 amp supply (16amp charge rate) will be plenty but you would need to go 40 amp supply to charge at 30 amp rate for cars in the future. But future cars will still charge fine on the 20 amp circuit even if a bit slower. Overnight is plenty of time.

My address is in an area that can qualify for the evproject. I just sent in my application. Hopefully I am accepted.

Rkshack

rkshack said:
so you can't put two outlets on the one circuit? Also a circuit is a wire to your breaker box correct?

You are correct about the circuit, but is 3 or 4 wires from the outlet(s) to the breaker box.
You can put two or more outlets on one circuit, but they will have to be the same voltage level. 240V circuits will have only 240V outlets, 120V circuits will have only 120V outlets.

Car chargers (EVSE) usually have their own circuits. One reason is to avoid tripping the breaker when too many loads are connected at the same time. That is what is happening when you plug in the hair dryer and the car on the same time, on the same circuit. Run together for a long time they would overheat the wires and cause problems. The breaker is there to protect the wires, and it does it by tripping.

Actually, you CAN have 2 outlets installed on the same circuit. I think it would be quite handy to have a 120 @ 240 next to each other for charging purposes. Just make sure that you you do not use them both at the same time. A 240v circuit is really just two 120v circuits connected to one outlet... Just have your electrician put a 120 on curcuit A, and then run circuit A & B into the 240v... EASY PEASY

tediffer3rd said:
Actually, you CAN have 2 outlets installed on the same circuit. I think it would be quite handy to have a 120 @ 240 next to each other for charging purposes. Just make sure that you you do not use them both at the same time. A 240v circuit is really just two 120v circuits connected to one outlet... Just have your electrician put a 120 on curcuit A, and then run circuit A & B into the 240v... EASY PEASY
I made this a code research exercise for myself, to satisfy my curiosity. It turns out this is allowed by the National Electric Code, article 210.4(C) Exception No. 2. My NEC Handbook has an illustration. All conductors must be opened simultaneously by the branch-circuit overcurrent device (i.e. circuit breaker), which means you need a two-pole breaker--but any 120/240V panel will use a two-pole breaker for 240V circuits.

Back