Phoenix Range Test Sept 15, 2012 planning!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just some info on my car. I had to drive to the 'burbs this AM. Distance was 64-65 miles round trip. I started with 100% charge. Of that 64-65 miles, I'd say 61-62 were highway miles. A/C was on until about 56 miles. I was getting nervous about getting home. Cruise set at 65 mph on the way out, 64 on the way back. I hit 70 mph twice to pass. I made it home with 1-bar remaining. LBW came on at 59.8 miles while still on the highway.

After I got home around 64-65 miles, I started driving a loop around the neighborhood. Lights every mile or so, 35-40 mph. VLBW came on 74.3 miles. I pulled into my garage at 75.4 miles. Average was 4.3 miles/kWh. Ambient temps on the LEAF display were 88F on the way down, 92F on the way back. 6 temp bars the whole time. Mileage when I pulled in was 2220.

Do we have any newer LEAF's participating? I hope mine isn't the only control. I worry there's been some degradation given the nasty hot summer we just had.

Who has a GID-Meter that they will loan/use for the test cars?

Here in CA, I will gather some GID meters for Tony to borrow.

I have of my own to loan, and might be able to make two more.
Gregg, Boomer, and Tony himself each have one.

Maybe some others will loan their meter to Tony for the weekend.
I need to get then to him on this coming Thursday, since he
leaves for Phoenix on Friday morning.

How about a few from San Diego?

I'll have mine (and plan to capture a log of the trip and subsequent charge as well).

garygid said:

We are going to have more than one control car. I may bring the BC2BC LEAF over to PHX.

I'll be working on another project Sunday, so if you don't hear much from me 'til Monday, no worries.

Have a nice weekend everybody.

Tony

garygid said:

I am willing to loan mine if someone can stop by to pick it up, since I still am restricted from driving. Note also that switches are reversed.

tbleakne said:
garygid said:
I am willing to loan mine if someone can stop by to pick it up, since I still am restricted from driving. Note also that switches are reversed.

Great. We will figure a way to get it. Perhaps somebody can pick this up from Tom, and mail it to me? Make sure the owner's name, address, phone number and email are firmly affixed to the unit.

Tony Williams
858-245-8217
12656 Sabre View Cove
San Diego, CA 92128-4160

Draft:

Each car will be operated as follows:

1. Verify required public highway documents; registration, insurance
2. Check all external lights and verify car is in "as delivered when new" condition
3. Reset all trip odometers, miles/kWh, average speed, timer, etc
4. Gidmeter, if available
5. GPS to measure distance and maintain speed at 62mph
6. The last three digits of the LEAF's serial number to be affixed on the right top front of the windshield and left rear top of the rear window
7. Driver weight noted (need scale) and ballast added to match heaviest driver
8. Driver cell phone (you MUST have a phone) linked to Bluetooth with range test administrator's phone programmed in car for hands free operation. Test to make sure it works.
9. Front windows closed, or up to 2 inches open. Do not open rear windows
10. Headlights on manually (not Auto)
12. CLIMATE CONTROL OFF
13. Water for driver
14. Visually inspect for extraneous weight in car to be removed (child car seats ok)
15. Every car must have stock Bridgestone Ecopia tires, VERIFY 36 psi per tire
16. Cover instrument panel and cover upper instrument panel with speedometer
17. Have a map of course, all checkpoints, and pertainent contact information in car
18. Program the staging area into car's Navigation to be used to determine distance from staging area
19. Prior to launch on the course, record start time using GPS or cell phone synced with master time
20. Drive course safely at 62mph with cruise control. Adjust speed with one "click" up or down per one mph. Stay mostly in furthest right lane. Do NOT draft any vehicle. Course is all right turns. If you must slow for any reason, mentally note slowest speed and duration. Do not, under any circumstance, increase speed over 62mph
20. When car reaches 8.6% or 24 on the Gidmeter, or the audible alarm is heard indicating Very Low Battery (this should be the second alarm), call the range test administrator using "handsfree" methods and report your position
21. When car reaches "turtle" mode (audible warning and slowing speed), turn off cruise control and get safely off the highway, in a position to be safely connected to a tow vehicle.
20. Once safely WELL off the highway and stopped, four way warning blinkers on, record stop time with same device used to record start time
21. Uncover instrument panel, record trip length, and miles/kWh from dash
22. Turn car off, make arrangements for tow back to a charging station

Setting the cruise control to 62 will give you a real speed of
about 60 mph, so a GPS would not indicate 62 mph.

I believe that you have to set the cruise control to about 64
to maintain a true (GPS) speed of 62 mph.

So, clarification in the instructions is required.

garygid said:

I believe Tony is instructing the driver to cover the instrument panel, including the speedometer, and use the GPS for speed input.

garygid said:

The speedometer is "covered" in the instructions. 62 mph from the GPS will very closely match 64-65mph on the speedometer, if you could see it.

I can loan my Gid meter, but would very much like to have it back asap. I rely on it heavily these days. I'll get it to Gary in the next few days.

You can borrow my GID meter for the test. I could arrange to meet with one of you sometime this week. I'll PM one of the local guys to work out a time.

garygid said:
"myleaf" in Chandler, AZ has offered his GID-Meter.

Who can pick it up from him, perhaps on Friday?
I'll PM "myleaf" and try to arrange to pick it up. I've also emailed the president of the Phoenix EAA to get his meter. I suspect if he's available he'll probably participate or at the very least attend the event.

If any others in the valley are offering up meters and need to get them to us for the event, PM me and I'll try to pick them up. My wife and I live and work in north, central and south Phoenix and I'll be making trips to Scottsdale (Mon, Tue), Mesa (Wed) and Chandler (Thu) after work this week.

I might be able to help out with a GID meter or 15... I just built 10 boards today and could build 5 more with parts I have on hand. I do not have the LCDs, cables or enclosures on hand so someone would need to order them and assemble. Assembly takes about 5 minutes each to solder the ODB cable (4 wires) and solder the LCD.

7965023072_fe7b7ae0f9_z.jpg

Source for LCD:
http://www.adafruit.com/products/181 $9.95

Source for OBD cable:
http://www.obd2cables.com/products/cable-j1962m-right-angle-to-open-6ft.html $11.95

Tony, I believe you're getting mixed up on the two ECOtality locations. The 805 2nd St. only has 3 L2s and are available 24/7. The 2nd AVE ECOtality has the QC and some L2s, but is closed at 5 PM weekdays.

Back