Phoenix metro-area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carlos said:
turbo2ltr said:
Got it, sorry about the hybrid confusion.

So I guess I'm asking where you are getting your info from because their website does not reflect that it would cost anywhere near $300 for the LEAF.

Here is a quick link to AZ MVD AFV info & FAQ.

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/alternativefuel.asp

Thats what I quoted 3 posts up. I don't see anything to the contrary.

I just got off the phone with them and she ran it through (they actually knew about the LEAF) and after verifying with her boss, said it would be about $19/yr. She asked me how I liked it, but unfortunately, we all know I don't have one yet.. lol..

turbo2ltr said:
Carlos said:
turbo2ltr said:
Got it, sorry about the hybrid confusion.

So I guess I'm asking where you are getting your info from because their website does not reflect that it would cost anywhere near $300 for the LEAF.

Here is a quick link to AZ MVD AFV info & FAQ.

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/alternativefuel.asp

Thats what I quoted 3 posts up. I don't see anything to the contrary.

I just got off the phone with them and she ran it through (they actually knew about the LEAF) and after verifying with her boss, said it would be about $19/yr. She asked me how I liked it, but unfortunately, we all know I don't have one yet.. lol..

Somethings not right here........ Will the LEAF cost us around $300 USD or closer to $19 USD?

If the LEAF will fly the AFV plate I would agree that the formula on the ADOT website would support a $300 expense. If the LEAF will fly some other plate or fee structure than the formula is moot. Did the MVD representative provide additional details or direction to support a result contrary to the website formula?

So, who is right?

Confused

I don't understand the confusion.

The site says:

The VLT for an AFV is changed to a rate of $4.00 per $100 of assessed valuation, which is determined by the following:

1. For the first year, the assessed value is 1% of the factory list price (FLP) of the AFV.

SO we get the assessed value which is 1% of $33,720. Thats $337

Then it says the VLT is $4 per $100 of ASSESSED VALUE. So $337 / 100 = 3.37. Take that and multiply it by $4 and you get like $13.

Where is the $300 number coming from?

You're right Turbo...it hasn't changed. I misunderstood. When I received my plates 12 years ago, I never saw the formula or knew how they came up with a $12 registration...I just smiled all the way home! :D Then the next year, I was offered a two year extension and the cost was around $22 for two years. So it should only be a little higher...maybe around $30 for two years. I don't remember them offering me a two-year plan the first year, but maybe they do.

I don't have any experience with any new vehicles which have any real value to them, but I have had EV's registered here for the last five + years and they always come in with the bare minimum price you can pay, about $17 for a year, $22 for two years. You pay the standard fees and then the road tax is $5 a year so it's a no brainer to pay for two years. One local EAA member I noticed recently had a 2015 tag on his car! I think if one were to go to the DMV you could do this since it's emissions exempt.

We have a freaking sweet deal on registration! Ohh and I've been paying the DMV $25 extra a year for custom plates.... don't want them thinking they are loosing any money on us. :)

Yes when i spoke to the lady at the MVD (or DMV if you are from NY like me) and said they have 5 year registrations available.

My dealer (Avondale) included $25.75 for plates (AF plate for one year) and a $5 tire disposal fee in my quote. They are going to apply for the AF plate from the get go at the dealership and had already been trained on what paperwork to fill out. It's a really sweet deal which also includes as you Arizonans know, access to the Hov lane anytime! Woohoo!

Did any phoenix people schedule their own EVSE inspection? I'm trying to schedule it using their automated system, but they require some three digit inspection code. Not sure if it's "Residential Rough Electrical" or just "Residential Final Inspection"

Timaz said:
My dealer (Avondale) included $25.75 for plates (AF plate for one year) and a $5 tire disposal fee in my quote. They are going to apply for the AF plate from the get go at the dealership and had already been trained on what paperwork to fill out. It's a really sweet deal which also includes as you Arizonans know, access to the Hov lane anytime! Woohoo!

I already have my 'blue' plate, so I'm just going to transfer it to the LEAF with a five-year registration. You can only do two years with a dedicated CNG vehicle because of emission testing.
When I moved here in '97, there were no HOV lanes yet. I started using them in '98 with my converted '90 Toyota Celica and have been using them ever since.

Right on. I just missed a plate with my 2008 Prius. They gave out the last Prius plate a few vehicles previous to my purchase. I was so disappointed. So needless to say I am looking forward to getting this plate.

Lame. I couldn't use the internet to schedule the EVSE inspection because it required some code that was on the receipt, which I don't have as I didn't pull the permit. So I used the phone method. When someone tells you that you should call to schedule something, is it too much to expect for them to either tell me a time or let me pick a time? I got neither. I put my permit number in and the automated system said "thanks you've been scheduled".

To add more confusion, the website says that if you call before 8pm you can request a next day inspection. Their awesome automated system doesn't even tell you what day you were scheduled on. Since I called right around 8 I have no idea if I'm scheduled for tomorrow or wednesday. Either way, I can guarantee I won't be here when they show up since I have no idea when they are coming and I'm not sitting at home waiting for them....for two days.

My panel is on the outside of the garage so he put a surface mount box directly on the other side of the wall (inside the garage) and just ran the wires directly out of the panel through the 2.5" of wall and into the box. I actually did the same exact thing when i installed the 40amp circuit for my tig welder. Well the inspector said that the wires have to be in a "raceway". It seems because they are individual wires (and not all together like romex) that they need additional protection.

He couldn't get into the garage because the garage door opener that I left for him didn't work (though it worked last time I used it) so who knows what else he'll find once he gets inside. He was also not happy that the installer was not there and said they must be present when he comes out next time.

Also that 40 amp circuit for my welder was not included in the load calculations document. He complained about that but after I told him it wasn't actually connected to anything, he seemed somewhat ok with it. I moved my welder to my shop so the wires are just capped off in a junction box in the garage.

I got the feeling he was a little high on his horse. He started spewing stuff about how the batteries vent hydrogen and that he needs access to the garage to check on these things. I told them "well they are li-ion". And he's like "well they catch fire too". At that point I mentioned that I'm familiar with both technologies as I'm in the EV/hybrid business and changed the subject as I didn't want to bother arguing with someone that doesn't know what he doesn't know. I'll let the installer deal with him.

Carlos said:
BrianShipman said:
Sorry if this has already been addressed.

Saw what looked like a power point presentation (slide show) from APS online, and it had a couple of bullet points that were not explained.

One was "provide a customer incentive" for EV's
Second was "have a separate ""super off peak"" EV rate"

Did anyone get any specific info at one of the recent events that explains what these mean?

Thanks for any info

Brian

Brian,
Last night at the Nissan event in Scottsdale, Corporation Commissioner Gary Pierce said a few words to attendees.
Of course the music was loud and the microphone was way too low but I do recall Mr. Pierce specifically say something about the super off peak EV rates from 11:00pm to 5:00am. I couldn't find him after his comments so I plan on emailing Mr. Pierce to expand on this comment further. [email protected]
Carlos

APS told me these incentives have not been approved by the AZ Corporation Commission yet.

avanti5010 said:
Carlos said:
BrianShipman said:
Sorry if this has already been addressed.
Saw what looked like a power point presentation (slide show) from APS online, and it had a couple of bullet points that were not explained.
One was "provide a customer incentive" for EV's
Second was "have a separate ""super off peak"" EV rate"
Did anyone get any specific info at one of the recent events that explains what these mean?
Thanks for any info

Brian

Brian,
Last night at the Nissan event in Scottsdale, Corporation Commissioner Gary Pierce said a few words to attendees.
Of course the music was loud and the microphone was way too low but I do recall Mr. Pierce specifically say something about the super off peak EV rates from 11:00pm to 5:00am. I couldn't find him after his comments so I plan on emailing Mr. Pierce to expand on this comment further. [email protected]
Carlos

APS told me these incentives have not been approved by the AZ Corporation Commission yet.

Here is the response I had from the AZ CC Office of Gary Pierce, (Definitely something to watch and comment on when/if public input is requested)

Good Afternoon,

The Commission has an active docket on the implications of the emergence of electric car technology.
The Commission's policy is still being shaped and is very much in a beginning stage.
You may view the docket by searching for docket # E-01345A-10-0123 at our website.

https://edocket.azcc.gov/

Best Regards,

Antonio Gill
Office of Commissioner Gary Pierce
Arizona Corporation Commission
(602) 542-3933
(602) 542-5560 Fax
1200 West Washington
Phoenix, Arizona 85007

Turbo,

I just saw your post on your inspection. Your set-up sounds similiar to mine, but mine passed? In any case, my Clipper unit is on and waiting for a car to charge! haha

LEAFfan said:
I started using them in '98 with my converted '90 Toyota Celica and have been using them ever since.

Nice. I have had "ZEROGAS" on my Saturn conversion for about five years now. I was driving it 26 miles one way from Glendale to ASU in Tempe in the late morning, charging at the APS Ocotillo plant just down the road and riding my bike the last mile to class, then doing the return trip home in rush hour traffic, HOV lane all the way up I-17 so I was doing 200+ EV miles a week.

Still have the car, but the batteries are shot. I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do with it if I do take my Leaf.

Back