Paul Hossen provides a walkthrough of the LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indyflick

In this video, Paul Hossen the LEAF product planner, provides an introductory walk through of the LEAF. Even though it's very introductory, I picked up a couple of tidbits I didn't know. By the way, in the energy info screen it shows 15.7 average miles/kWh. I know we beat that topic to death in other threads, but I just thought I would point it out. Also, the audio in the video seems to be only from the left channel.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysh6wpAX_Sg[/youtube]

Good video. It is nice to hear someone other than Mr. Perry talking about the features because in all of the other videos I have seen Mr. Perry says very similiar things. I'm not being critical of Mr. Perry because I understand why it would be a plus to deliver a consistent message in the many videos he has been in.

Yes, the 15.7 miles/kWh statistic is shown on the screen that we have discussed before in great detail. The only time I have ever seen a number that is significantly different than this in person or in a video is when a Leaf was in San Diego a few weeks ago and the screen showed 4.1 miles/kWh.

I found something else interesting about the kW draw from the AC. The screen shows about .75 kW being used by the climate control system, and above that on the screen it shows that if climate control is turned off, only 2 additional miles (+3%) will be added to the range (8min 45 seconds into video). The Nissan rep said that it was 90 degrees outside in Houston and the screen shows the setpoint at 70 degrees. I would expect the AC to be running continuously given the outside temp and the likely humidity in Houston. Given all of these variables, it seems that .75 kWs being used by climate control system is very low. It seems that the climate control system is very efficient.

Frank said:
The Nissan rep said that it was 90 degrees outside in Houston and the screen shows the setpoint at 70 degrees. I would expect the AC to be running continuously given the outside temp and the likely humidity in Houston.
I think the "90 degree day" is a prediction, and the 70F is NOT the A/C setpoint, but the actual current outside temp early in the morning.

Yes, nice video, but the only other thing that bothered me (at about 4:20 in the video): It says current distance-to-empty (D2E) 67 miles. But does it really say “To 100% Charge” and “240V 5:00” and “120V 13:00” “( Est. Time )” ???? Five hours to charge 33% at 240V ? That would be another "math bug" (aberration) ... just like the 15.7 miles/kWh.

Correction: just noticed the "14:58" (at 3:34 in the video). So ... it's NOT early in the morning (unless the car's clock is not set right). And at 3:44 the temperature is reported as 85F. So ... it looks like maybe the internal temp or the setpoint really is 70F.

I have been wondering where the climate control setpoint would be displayed because I had not seen it in prior videos. This is the first one that I noticed the "70F" on the screen.

I agree that the time estimated to charge to 100% seems high. Five hours a 240V when the battery pack is approximatley 70% charged (i.e. 30% depleted) seems like too much time.

Frank said:
I agree that the time estimated to charge to 100% seems high. Five hours a 240V when the battery pack is approximatley 70% charged (i.e. 30% depleted) seems like too much time.
Yes, but what if the pack is really at 50% depleted? Now five hours to top off seems more reasonable. And distance to empty of 67 miles is also possible, if the car has been driving in a parking lot or on city streets. Nissan has told us we can get more than 130 miles in some cases.

Frank said:
I found something else interesting about the kW draw from the AC. The screen shows about .75 kW being used by the climate control system, and above that on the screen it shows that if climate control is turned off, only 2 additional miles (+3%) will be added to the range (8min 45 seconds into video). The Nissan rep said that it was 90 degrees outside in Houston and the screen shows the setpoint at 70 degrees. I would expect the AC to be running continuously given the outside temp and the likely humidity in Houston. Given all of these variables, it seems that .75 kWs being used by climate control system is very low. It seems that the climate control system is very efficient.

The picture below was posted by mwalsh today from the test drive event in Santa Monica.

33876_445129254843_704969843_5084807_1061519_n.jpg

Can someone explain why turning off the climate control system in Santa Monica would increase the vehicle's range by 28 miles (37%), and turning it off in Houston on a 85 degree day would only increase the range by 2 miles (3%)?

planet4ever said:
Frank said:
Yes, but what if the pack is really at 50% depleted? Now five hours to top off seems more reasonable. And distance to empty of 67 miles is also possible, if the car has been driving in a parking lot or on city streets. Nissan has told us we can get more than 130 miles in some cases.

Good point. On the battery level gauge it has 10 white bars and 2 red bars. The present level of the gauge is at white bar 5 with 67 miles of miles left on the pack. So this would represent 50% charged if the two red bars are not included. But the question is, "Does the 67 miles include the two red bars, or is it just the white bars?" If the gauge gets down to the 2 red bars does that mean that the vehicle begins the critical battery level routine where speed is limited and climate control is disabled? Or does that routine begin after the two red bars are depleted?

Perhaps the anticipated need for heating (in Santa Monica) instead of cooling (in Texas) uses a lot more energy?

But, looking at the Climate Control power gauge, NO power is being used.

So, maybe it assumes the last power usage, which might have been heating in Santa Monica?

Frank said:
Can someone explain why turning off the climate control system in Santa Monica would increase the vehicle's range by 28 miles (37%), and turning it off in Houston on a 85 degree day would only increase the range by 2 miles (3%)?
A couple of guesses:

(1) Low average speeds in the Santa Monica event means a larger mileage hit with the AC on.

(2) Something was clearly bogus about all of the Houston numbers - the only car-sized EV that will get 15mi/kWh is one that is pointed straight downhill. 3-4 mi/kWh, or less at high speed, is reasonable.

I guess the bottom line of all of this is ... the "driving-range-estimate" is too "jumpy".

Sorry to keep bringing up "how a Tesla does it" ... but after all ... it was first (in the current EV generation) and therefore in a sense sets a benchmark. The Tesla has two estimates. A kind of "instantaneous" (but still averaged over the last mile or so) and an "Ideal Range" estimate. The "instantaneous" is calculated (apparently much like the LEAF) from very recent behaviour or use. The "Ideal Range" seems to be the distance you could achieve if you stopped doing whatever you're doing and followed the LA4 cycle behaviour (or whatever the roadster's combined cycle is based on) from here on out. Naturally the latter fluctuates a whole lot less and gives a much better approximation of what you could achieve with your remaining SOC. (Some blogs claim the Ideal Range is based on the last 32 miles' behaviour, but that seems to contradict actual experience.)

Anyway ... if Nissan does not update the software to eliminate purely unrealistic numbers like temporary 15.7 miles/kWh ... at best a whole lot of wasted manpower is going to go into support effort to confused customers, and at worst, a negative perception will be reinforced in the vain of "range anxiety".

Just MHO ... I like the estimate they supply as to the +/- impact of the HVAC on range ... but it needs to jive with more of an "Ideal Range" impact ... not the impact on the last few miles.

DeaneG said:
Frank said:
A couple of guesses:

(1) Low average speeds in the Santa Monica event means a larger mileage hit with the AC on.

(2) Something was clearly bogus about all of the Houston numbers - the only car-sized EV that will get 15mi/kWh is one that is pointed straight downhill. 3-4 mi/kWh, or less at high speed, is reasonable.

That is my guess too (but only a guess). I only see small hits/gains for ac on and off. I drive 90+% on the freeway at 62 mph (Mark Perry indicated that 63 mph was the sweet spot).

Malcolm :geek:

indyflick said:
...Also, the audio in the video seems to be only from the left channel.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysh6wpAX_Sg[/youtube]

A pet peeve of mine, since I have marked hearing loss in the left ear. I run across this frequently, and it's always the right channel that's missing. I wonder how this happens. Perhaps some shareware software used to encode the video, that kills the right channel until you register?

Back