Passenger airbag disabled

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jawshoeaw said:
Are you pushing the brake pedal or just hitting the start button twice?
Twice? leafme's instructions say to hit it 9 times, right? [on-off-on-off-on-off]-on-off-on with waits between each push. It seems pretty obvious that the pedal would have to be pressed at least for each on cycle, otherwise you wouldn't see anything on the dash.

Ray

I meant twice with no brake pedal for each cycle. What I think of as the accessory position on regular car with key. So if I push the start button twice, everything turns on (except ability to drive) I tried both ways, didn't work. I get either a continuously blinking airbag light or a combination of one long, one short blink, a "12". So whatever I'm doing is doing something, but it definitely doesn't clear the code. Tried pulling 12v and traction battery for a couple hours, no luck. Have to take it to the dealer I guess.

Anyone out there figure this out? I can make the airbag light go in and out of diagnostic mode now, but it won't turn off. So I get either continuous blinking or one long and two short blinks which repeat.

I'm putting my foot on brake and pushing start button then pushing start button again as soon as airbag light turns off. Do this 3 times, 6 times, a hundred times, all it ever does is go back and forth between the two modes.

I've tried disconnecting 12v battery for several hours and even disconnected the HV battery. No change.
Help! It's driving me crazy. The dealer says I'll have to pay $110 plus $30 a day for a loaner car.

It worked for my 2011. The step 2 is quick. I did not release the brake pedal, just pushed the start button to do the On Off thing. Big thanks

You, people, got me on my knees! :lol:
Following your footsteps over the last period, doing some mods recommended here - and even if things get wrong and it gets darker with the day you are helping me dealing with the consequences. My thumbs are yours, guys!!!
As with everyone else here the airbag warn lamp came up and stayed on (no blinking in my case) and I got worried about warranty issues and those cool mods I possibly need to remove before driving to the dealer and whatever... :?

But this procedure perfectly works on a 2012 model as you said. Mega thanks, Malcolm for posting and econ0003 for finding it out. You saved my day...

P.S.: pushed the brakes all the way til the end... ;)

Confirmed this procedure does not work on 2013 models, at least not those with Nav. Has something to do with having to have weight sensor zeroed out while resetting. there's a recall on 2013 for something related to passenger airbags so I'll have them fix it then - though my lease is up in 10 months, I might just turn the damn thing back in and get a new one. :( Tired of all the stupid bugs and warning lights - get exclamation point every other day charging on Blink, sometimes on home charger. Those at least reset with power cycle

Worked perfectly for my 2011. A glass installer had disconnected and reconnected a harness in the driver's side door and the airbag warning light came on after that. The flashing light drove me nuts and I feared the worst plus a trip to the dealer. I think I did the restart 3 times so I missed the diagnostic mode completely. Thanks for the info here!

It works! Thanks!

Flashing Blinking Airbag Warning Light Reset Procedure
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Turn the key from off to on.
2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.
3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)
4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.
5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.
6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

I reset mine- did NOT put foot on brake for the first three times, I DID put foot on the brake for the start of the diagnostic. I DID NOT count between cycles, was not necessary. To recap- turn on start button foot off brake. As soon as airbag light turns off, shut off the car. Do this two more times. THEN, start as normal with foot on brake. Light will flash more slowly in diagnostic mode. Shut off car and restart as you normally would. No airbag light! Mine is a 2011.

This is probably a completely moronic question but I am very new to car maintenance of all sorts, and want to be absolutely sure the Leaf is safe to drive--I just went through this procedure on my 2011 Leaf when the airbag light came on, and it worked! But if there truly is a problem with the passenger airbag sensor, the light will come back on, right? I certainly don't want to drive with an adult passenger if I have merely gotten the light to turn off but the system is still faulty!

thanks!

Back