Parking ticket in the Charging spot?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBELEAF

I got a parking ticket while I was charging the car in the EV spot for not paying the regular parking fee. I've talked to officer who wrote ticket and she claimed that all vehicles pay the fee, but I told that signage isn't clear. The EV spot says "No parking except for electrical vehicle charging". I plan to take this to the court, but what you do think? Would you be confused by this?

I actually parked there before over a year ago and did not get the ticket. Although at that time I specifically asked the officer if it's ok to charge without paying the parking fee.
2a0aia8.jpg

Take it to court. Good chance the judge will either let you off the hook, or reduce the fine...but I wouldn't have parked there without paying, either.

davewill said:
Take it to court. Good chance the judge will either let you off the hook, or reduce the fine...but I wouldn't have parked there without paying, either.
Or... You get the judge that decides you are already getting a perk for the charging and doubles the fine for wasting court time. :eek:

Or.. You get a Leaf driving judge that claims you don't even need a charge and slaps some jail time on... :lol:

I don't know about that. My understanding this is not a parking spot, it's a charging spot and you could be paying a fee if you don't have a chargepoint card which is the same $1 per hour I believe.

Help me understand the signage. It looks like it's a 3-hour free lot from 9am-5pm, then a pay lot from 5pm-9pm. It doesn't appear to me that you get free parking for EVs. So the question becomes...what time were you parked there?

I was there during the time when parking fee was in affect. I've parked there about a year ago at the same time and I didn't get the ticket. At that time I specifically asked the officer if I have to pay the parking fee and she said no.

2013-09-11 17:37:40 (PDT) 2013-09-11 19:00:39 (PDT) 4.589 6.521 01:23:04 200 Lakeshore Plaza, Kirkland, Washington, 98033, United States KIRKLAND / MARINA PARK #1

2012-11-17 18:01:36 (PST) 2012-11-17 21:05:40 (PST) 9.688 13.767 03:04:04 200 Lakeshore Plaza, Kirkland, Washington, 98033, United States KIRKLAND / MARINA PARK #2

I have always assumed that you have to pay the parking fee at any EV-only spot regardless. Challenging the ticket will often get you a reduced fine however.

I am not worried about the fine (it's $35), I would gladly pay if I was totally wrong. My intention is to prove the point that signage isn't clear, perhaps I am the idiot who can't read signs.

IBELEAF said:
I am not worried about the fine (it's $35), I would gladly pay if I was totally wrong. My intention is to prove the point that signage isn't clear, perhaps I am the idiot who can't read signs.

Any news from the court appearance? Acquitted? Dismissed? Fined? Cavity searched? Did you use the OJ Defense "if the L2 Socket fits, you must acquit". Do you have conjugal visits on alternate Sundays?

There is Handicap Permit Required on the spot next to EV Charging. Do they have to pay the parking fee? If not, then more weight to EV Charging not paying while charging.

Back