Out of the Blue and Into the Black: 2011 LEAF SL to 2013 SL

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do have the itch to dump my purchased '11 and get the '13. With my commute a lease will not be practical, so I would need to buy again. What is stopping me is that I'd have to cough up around 6k if not more just to end up with basically the same vehicle, even after the loyalty and VPP discounts. To be fair the '13 has some nice improvements, but they are nothing that I cannot live without. The worst part of course is that improved battery life is not one of them. I feel it is better to just save that 6k towards a battery replacement should I ever need it (hope not) and drive my '13 for at least 3 more years. It does look like my original pack will suit my needs that long.

I was also pleased that Connell Nissan was nice enough to let me transfer my cargo organizer from 2011 Blue car to the 2013 red car. It was interesting to see that there is space now behind the trunk organizer where a something square used to cross the back of the trunk. Every bit of extra space helps

That said, I now have one more extra trunk organizer to put on Ebay.

laalan said:
I was also pleased that Connell Nissan was nice enough to let me transfer my cargo organizer from 2011 Blue car to the 2013 red car. It was interesting to see that there is space now behind the trunk organizer where a something square used to cross the back of the trunk. Every bit of extra space helps

Alan, there's a For Sale section here on the forum that seems to work well for folks. I think that you might have to become a forum supporter to advertise there, though.

laalan said:

Alan, did they help you to remove the trickle charger case from the trunk area? The 2013s have a lower strap on the carrying case that loops through a metal hook thing in the trunk floor. It's a bitch to remove the strap from the hook. I'm going to wait until daylight tomorrow to struggle with mine. I want to make sure that the cargo organizer doesn't interfere with the big woofer that's down there.

Boomer23 said:
laalan said:

Alan, did they help you to remove the trickle charger case from the trunk area? The 2013s have a lower strap on the carrying case that loops through a metal hook thing in the trunk floor. It's a bitch to remove the strap from the hook. I'm going to wait until daylight tomorrow to struggle with mine. I want to make sure that the cargo organizer doesn't interfere with the big woofer that's down there.

No issue. Believe it or not, our 2011 also had the metal hook so I was used to it. That said, the deal finished up close to dealer closing so there was a lot of help. I just pulled the cargo organizer out of one of the old ones and popped it in the new one. No issue with the subwoofer. From what I can see, the part number is the same for 2011-2013. In any case, perfect fit.

laalan said:
No issue. Believe it or not, our 2011 also had the metal hook so I was used to it. That said, the deal finished up close to dealer closing so there was a lot of help. I just pulled the cargo organizer out of one of the old ones and popped it in the new one. No issue with the subwoofer. From what I can see, the part number is the same for 2011-2013. In any case, perfect fit.
We're keeping the same organizer from our '12 to put in our '13. Too bad it will be a gray organizer in an otherwise black interior... :p (They do have two part numbers now: one for each color)

Has the CA rebate program dried up for new leases and purchases?

Perhaps part of the loss of initial "go" is the 17 inch vs the older 16 inch tires?
There should be about a 6% loss of "thrust" right there, right?

Great report, especially on the All Around Cameras. Their constructed overhead
display looks very well done, with very few distortions. A real plus feature.

I agree that the backup camera should be a safety festure, available on all cars.
Isn't it becoming a USA mandated feature sometime soon?

We really do not know enough about the battery yet, but I certainly understand
your expectations, and disappointment. However,...

An excellent thread, especially with the reserved, up-front posts.
Cheers my friend, Gary

Perhaps the difference in performance has something to do with Nissan's added security in their warranty. Short of changing the chemistry in the battery, they may be able to lengthen the life of the battery with a software modification that in normal driving does not pull quite as much current out of the battery. I'm sure they don't want to have to make good too often on their expanded warranty.

garygid said:
Has the CA rebate program dried up for new leases and purchases?
Funds have run out temporarily - additional funds will be added in July. It remains to be seen whether or not they will be changing the rebate structure. Right now you have to submit your docs and go on a wait list and hope they don't change the rebate structure.

garygid said:
Perhaps part of the loss of initial "go" is the 17 inch vs the older 16 inch tires?
There should be about a 6% loss of "thrust" right there, right?
The difference should be negligible - aside from a likely slight increase in weight, the overall diameter of the tires is only about 2.3% greater (215/50/17 tires vs 205/55/16 tires).

I just received the following information. Funds are available from California

Hi Alan,

We had started a waiting list after expending all available funding for the fiscal year, but we were refunded with $8 million from the CA Energy Commission just this week, so we will be sending out checks within 60 days of final approval as normal. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Randy Wilde
Program Assistant, Transportation
Clean Vehicle Rebate Project

California Center for Sustainable Energy
9325 Sky Park Court, Suite 100
San Diego, CA 92123
858.634.4733 phone
858.244.1178 fax
http://www.energycenter.org/cvrp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; web

Plug-in sales are on the rise, I suspect that new funds they will receive in July will dry up pretty quickly. One who plans to offset a future purchase price by this rebate needs to act fast, I'd say the purchase should take place before October/November this year to be on the safe side.

Boomer, did you actually send the ~$1300 back to the CVRP? A couple months ago, I went back to read their rules so I could answer questions about the subject to people (including myself) wanting to do exactly what you did. The rules say that they have the right to claim the entire $5000 back if you just decide to sell/turn back the car (though they may decide not to take the entire amount). The pro-rate, they said, would only apply in hardship cases for which you would have to make a special application.

Did you contact someone specifically at the Center about switching LEAFs? In my case, I'd be giving back at least $1500 if I did it this month (pro rated).

gascant said:
Boomer, did you actually send the ~$1300 back to the CVRP? A couple months ago, I went back to read their rules so I could answer questions about the subject to people (including myself) wanting to do exactly what you did. The rules say that they have the right to claim the entire $5000 back if you just decide to sell/turn back the car (though they may decide not to take the entire amount). The pro-rate, they said, would only apply in hardship cases for which you would have to make a special application.

Did you contact someone specifically at the Center about switching LEAFs? In my case, I'd be giving back at least $1500 if I did it this month (pro rated).

I haven't contacted them yet, Howard.

Boomer23 said:
gascant said:

I haven't contacted them yet, Howard.

Hmmm...ok...let us know how that turns out if/when you contact (or hear from) them.
Enjoying the write-ups. My wife loves the around view monitor and would love to get us into a 2013.
And looking at your signature, my LEAF battery is performing almost identical to yours (scary close) after the same number of miles. My ELM gave out after the first few times I used it, though.

Back