Our solar production

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boomer23 said:
mwalsh said:
BTW, production today, after a late morning fog burn-off and a partially sunny afternoon was 14.66 kWh.

13 kWh here today.

Michael, I recommend that you check the power usage of an electric dryer before you decide on that one. That decision could seriously eat into your free LEAF miles.

Here's a link to a guy's site who drills down to the penny on this stuff.
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/dryers.html
That's an interesting link. With PG&E's E9a and doing laundry during off-peak hours ($0.06/kWh) would cost me less than using a gas dryer.

Federal 47 CFR 97.15 law allows HAM radio antennas (of perhaps limited size) in spite of HOA regulations, right?

Another law allows satellite TV (and other TV) antennas (like those for Dish Network or DirectTV) in spite of overly-restrictive HOA "no antenna" rules.

If so, one might "offer" their HOA these types of alternatives to ... whatever they refuse? :D

All.

I had 27.82 kwh output yesterday. Is that considered fair output? Never got involved in the solar conversation here before, just starting to understand my system, its been in about a year now!

garygid said:
Does state (or fed) law allow HAM radio antennas (of perhaps limited size) in spite of HOA regulations?

It does allow satellite TV antennas (like those for Dish Network or DirectTV) in spite of any HOA "no antenna" rules.

If so, one might "offer" their HOA that alternative to ... whatever they refuse? :D

Gary...

A lot of HOA's try to restrict HAM antennas, but Federal Law has stated that HAMS are part of the National Security or Safety or whatever specific distiction we are afforded) and as such, HOAs cannot restrict HAM antennas. Some cities try and enforce antenna restrictions and they are harder to convince/fight.

Having said that, a lot of HOAs do just that, knowing that the homeowner usually has neither the time nor money to fight it in court. But if you put up enough of a stink and bring in all the case law, HOAs will usually back down.

When I bought my house, I looked specifically for places without HOAs because the last one I had to deal with was a pain in the a$$.

I agree, having right, law, and even case law on your side does not always "win", and can be prohibitively expensive to even persue.

I try to keep a low profile, and never mention Drug Deals, etc. :D

Timaz said:
All.

I had 27.82 kwh output yesterday. Is that considered fair output? Never got involved in the solar conversation here before, just starting to understand my system, its been in about a year now!

It would be fabulous output for coastal California. The best my 5.16 kW system can do this time of year is 18 or 19 kWh on the sunniest day.

Your best comparisons are going to be with fellow AZ residents with similar size arrays.

Boomer23 said:
Timaz said:
All.

It would be fabulous output for coastal California. The best my 5.16 kW system can do this time of year is 18 or 19 kWh on the sunniest day.

Your best comparisons are going to be with fellow AZ residents with similar size arrays.

Your system Timaz is 1200w larger then mine. I got a total yesterday of 23.04kw. I would like to compare a system of same size and different brands.

Boomer23 said:
Timaz said:
All.

What angle are your system and direction?

greenleaf said:
Boomer23 said:
mwalsh said:
BTW, production today, after a late morning fog burn-off and a partially sunny afternoon was 14.66 kWh.

13 kWh here today.

Michael, I recommend that you check the power usage of an electric dryer before you decide on that one. That decision could seriously eat into your free LEAF miles.

Here's a link to a guy's site who drills down to the penny on this stuff.
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/dryers.html
That's an interesting link. With PG&E's E9a and doing laundry during off-peak hours ($0.06/kWh) would cost me less than using a gas dryer.

Here's the same guy's main page for "How Much Electricity Does My Stuff use?

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/howmuch.html

Timaz said:
They face south on a 30 degree angle I believe!
Wow Timaz that is a good winter angle but real bad in the summer months. My system is facing south and at a summer angle of 20 deg. The reason is the cost of power in the summer is higher and it make more sense to generation more power at the more expensive time of year to offset the higher cost.

So as we compare power I would like to see if I generate more as mine should on the flatter angle in the summer months.

Not sure of the angle honestly, solar city installed them. I have historical info. for this last Summer! What days or months output would you like to know?

Gonewild said:
Timaz said:
They face south on a 30 degree angle I believe!
Wow Timaz that is a good winter angle but real bad in the summer months. My system is facing south and at a summer angle of 20 deg. The reason is the cost of power in the summer is higher and it make more sense to generation more power at the more expensive time of year to offset the higher cost.
Unless he's on a TOU rate electricity is usually not much more than a small fraction more. Typically mounting angles the same as your latitude is optimal.

In AZ, higher angles are typically preferred for a couple reasons - It's so hot in summer that it makes sense to optimize fore spring/fall - steeper angles tend to stay a bit cooler thanks to convection.

Timaz said:
The system produced 1029 kwh for the month of August !

On a smaller system this was August 2010 at my Phoenix home.
5.4 KW PV system with 24 panels produced 849 kWh

I ran out of roof space...

mwalsh said:
Still updating my OP. Today was the first full sun day since going live. Production was 24.42kWh.

Yep, a really good day for this date, full sun and windy and cool. Just what PV panels like.

Mike, mine was 19 today. Given that my best generation is 33 kWh on sunny summer days, you can definitely count on over 40 kWh in summer. Exciting! Congratulations!

drees said:
You should start plotting the data in a google spreadsheet so we can easily visualize the data... :)

Somebody would only vandalize it. :lol:

You can see graphing on my Sunnyportal site:

http://www.sunnyportal.com/Templates/PublicPageOverview.aspx?page=eb178848-3d09-431d-a9aa-d94379403702&plant=0f19afd5-0303-427c-9ef4-934a64228dde&splang=en-US

Back