Other avenues for level II evse?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dzd

Hello all,

I was just wondering. Now that I have been turned down by ecotality for a free blink EVSE. Is there any other way that I can get a discount on a wall mounted level II EVSE through another program. I live in a Seattle/Tacoma suburb, but outside the ev project boundary.

Ian aware if the evse upgrade that Phil does and do plan to get that done but would also like a full unit so that the nissan supplied one can remain in the car most of the time.

Any advice?

I used to have that plan...until I finally gave up due to the high price of EVSE's and just use the upgraded Nissan (Panasonic) unit as my main EVSE. It helps that there are now a few public charging units around in a pinch. The Panasonic EVSE's just don't seem to fail; it's a shame they are being discontinued/replaced in the 2013 MY.

Stanton said:
I used to have that plan...until I finally gave up due to the high price of EVSE's and just use the upgraded Nissan (Panasonic) unit as my main EVSE. It helps that there are now a few public charging units around in a pinch. The Panasonic EVSE's just don't seem to fail; it's a shame they are being discontinued/replaced in the 2013 MY.

I've been waiting for EVSE prices to fall too, and relying exclusively on my Panasonic, as modified By Phil, for both home and travel charging. Mine has seen fairly hard use, over the last 19 months, and has been totally reliable.

I carry it with me most days, and most every day in the winter, so I've always had some insecurity related to theft or damage, since no back-up J-1772 is available within 25 miles of my home.

I've been surprised that EVSE prices haven't fallen faster, considering how cheap they should be to manufacture in quantity.

So, I gave up the wait and bought another Panasonic yesterday (thanks, Adrian) which I may not even modify, since most all my local charging opportunities are only L1 anyway.

But it will be nice to not have to pack up the L2 Panasonic, except for the planned longer trips.

Concur with the second Panasonic unit. Send off to Phil for an upgraded one, use it at home, and stash the unmodified one in the car. I have two upgraded and very rarely use the mobile on 240 volts. Actually, rarely use it at all, but nice to know I have it with me.

Bill

dzd said:
Ian aware if the evse upgrade that Phil does and do plan to get that done but would also like a full unit so that the nissan supplied one can remain in the car most of the time.
It depends on how you are going to use the car, but you may want to think about that plan. I had the same plan, and got a second EVSE from Phil rather than upgrading the one that came with the car. In fact I have used the one that lives in the car a total of two times in 19+ months. Both times it was just as a convenient excuse to use an RV parking space at the airport; I didn't really need the charge.

If you are going to be charging at work from a plug, not an EVSE, then you definitely want to keep a unit in the car. Otherwise, for most people, it's really just a waste of space. It is no big deal to unplug the upgraded unit and throw it in the car on the rare occasion (such as my airport trips) when you think you might want to have it.

Ray

Back