Orphan Leafs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@derkraut:

What "problems" and "shoddy workmanship" are you talking about?
Please state facts, not innuendos.

I have not had any "problems" with mine and consider the "workmanship" to be fine for its price level.

Now, if it were being made in Germany, it would have unreliability problems for sure. The Germans still know little about electronics.

JohnnySebring said:
I was lucky and adopted an orphan (VIN 0457) in Seattle today. 5k to jump the list was well worth it to me. :D
Congrats. Which dealer was that ?

Eastside was telling me about someone who paid nearly $40K to buy an orphan.

avanti5010 said:
Now, if it were being made in Germany, it would have unreliability problems for sure. The Germans still know little about electronics.

Sennheiser manufactures high quality audio equipment and the parent company is based in Germany. SunnyBoy inverters are made by SMA in Germany. That's just a couple examples. I could go on and on. So, I would have to disagree with you - the Germans tend to be quite skilled in electronics.

Orphan Leafs are available out there if you know where to look. There are hundreds of Leafs on Autotrader.com and Cars.com. This is how I got my orphan. I saw a Leaf on Autotrader.com and emailed the dealer to see if the car was available for sale. The salesman called me back and told me it was. I said I would buy it over the phone at MSRP. The salesman told me their dealership has a no hold policy. I said I will drive the 5 hours and buy it today. He said the car is yours. So after 5 hours of driving and 300+ miles later i owned a Leaf. My salesman said they were offered $40K for it while I was driving there, but refused that offer. So if you want a Leaf and are not on the "list", you can find them at MSRP on the Internet. You can also contact all dealers you are willing to drive to and ask them to call you when a orphan become available. No I just got to get it tansported here. The Leaf is a super black SL with the L3 option.

1932highboy said:
Orphan Leafs are available out there if you know where to look. There are hundreds of Leafs on Autotrader.com and Cars.com.
Most of those are listed by mistake. There are several threads about these listings. Infact they seem to appear regularly, couple of times a month.

The fact remains there are cars available if you look for them. My Leaf at this dealership was the third one sold. Two of three were orphans. One because the family had two kids with a third one on the way. Couldn't fit three cars seats in the back seat. My was because of lack of EVSE at a condo.

If you can secure an orphaned Leaf at MSRP, go for it :!: After checking with a few dealers, what I am hearing consistently is either "5 - 8k over MSRP" or "whatever the market will bear". :( I don't fault them for this, but I won't be paying that much over MSRP - as much as I want one! Since it's an EV, I'm willing to pay MSRP (although I've always paid less for my cars).

Happy shopping and good luck to everyone still waiting on their EV!

I just heard that Mossy Nissan in Oceanside MIGHT have an SL orphan
coming up tomorrow. I do not know the color or features.

If interested, call Larry Ringstaff (760-720-9797) and inquire
or put yourself on their LEAF waiting list.

Tell him that you heard about him from Gary on the MyNissanLeaf forum.

avanti5010 said:

That sure hasn't been my experiences with German cars. I've had 3 VW Rabbits and you can't get better/more accurate gauges than VDOs. I had two diesels and a gasoline one and they all were great cars...very little upkeep/Excellent quality. I'd take one of those over a Toyota, Honda, or a Nissan anytime.

Look at how far off the 'side' of the seat he has those mounted!
Yeah, you can do it, BUT.. it's not going to line up with the LATCH points, and you can kiss the door trim goodby as it's going to get rubbed and kicked non-stop for a few years.

I have two car seats in the back of my LEAF (one seat, one booster), and there's no way an adult or child could sit comfortably between them.

With no car seats, you could fit three friendly/frisky adults of good hygiene in the back. Calling the LEAF a five-adult car is a bit of a push.

You are entirely correct. While we did fit three Sunshine Kids Radians in the back seat of that LEAF, it is not possible using the LATCH points. They are simply set too far in from the doors to make this feasible. We are hoping to revisit this topic shortly with our certified car seat tech but unfortunately she was not available when Nissan loaned us this press car back in Dec 2010.

GroundLoop said:
Look at how far off the 'side' of the seat he has those mounted!
Yeah, you can do it, BUT.. it's not going to line up with the LATCH points, and you can kiss the door trim goodby as it's going to get rubbed and kicked non-stop for a few years.

I have two car seats in the back of my LEAF (one seat, one booster), and there's no way an adult or child could sit comfortably between them.

With no car seats, you could fit three friendly/frisky adults of good hygiene in the back. Calling the LEAF a five-adult car is a bit of a push.

Here is a photo of my Leaf with two Cybex Solution X-Fix boosters installed. As you can see, there isn't a whole lotta room between them. Nor is there a great deal of room between the side of the roof and the top of the car seats.

Additionally, as a skeptic of the first order, when the original thread on this appeared I decided to do some checking on my own. I spoke with a couple of folks at two car seat makers, Recaro and Britax. Neither could point me to any relevant videos or test data concerning the installation of carseats and the deployment of side curtain airbags. I'm not convinced that even tall two across seating (as this picture shows) would not interfere with airbag deployment.

Carseat experts frighten me almost as much as EV experts. That said, the Leaf seems to be a sturdy little craft and I have almost no fear of putting my kids in it.

Clippy said:
Here is a photo of my Leaf with two Cybex Solution X-Fix boosters installed. As you can see, there isn't a whole lotta room between them. Nor is there a great deal of room between the side of the roof and the top of the car seats.

Additionally, as a skeptic of the first order, when the original thread on this appeared I decided to do some checking on my own. I spoke with a couple of folks at two car seat makers, Recaro and Britax. Neither could point me to any relevant videos or test data concerning the installation of carseats and the deployment of side curtain airbags. I'm not convinced that even tall two across seating (as this picture shows) would not interfere with airbag deployment.

Carseat experts frighten me almost as much as EV experts. That said, the Leaf seems to be a sturdy little craft and I have almost no fear of putting my kids in it.

I appreciate your concern. I am a parent of the the three boys in the video clip. After a recent rollover accident, I too was very interested in the exact same issues that you have brought up. http://busymommymedia.com/2010/12/should-you-replace-carseats-after-a-car-accident/I asked Britax about the side airbag deployment. They reminded me that the purpose of side airbags is largely to prevent people's heads from hitting the side glass. They stated that as long as a car seat is secured properly, the child's head should not be able to move enough to hit the glass. The side impact protection on most newer seats is simply designed to further minimize the head movement.

Britax also commented that side airbags were designed to be much shallower in their deployment than a front airbag. If the car seat is installed properly, the side airbag should deploy shallow enough to never interact with the stationary car seat.

My only real question is whether Nissan has designed a much thicker airbag for the LEAF that would cause issues with three car seats. Given the placement of the LATCH points, I am not ruling this out but my guess is that it is more of a standard shallow implementation with the 3 seat belts. I won't guarantee that any configuration will not interfere with side airbag deployment but I will be glad to help people figure it out.

I will state that I do not consider myself a car seat expert but I am just trying to help. I'd also be glad to post pictures of various different car seats if people are interested.

Back