OpenEVSE - Open Source Charging Station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is going to sound very ROOKIE, but is it worth the $190 savings, if that, to build your own EVSE vs purchasing a, say.. Clipper Creek HCS-40 ($590, 3yr warranty) or any other brand? Don't get me wrong, I like to build things and so on. But I am seeing that between the $145 for the J1772 cable and the $255 for the 30A charge station combo kit ($400).

The reason for me to ask this is that maybe there are many things that I am missing. Maybe it's the programming, the quality of the charge, more amps, less amps, better voltage, etc. That's why I am asking a ROOKIE question, to see if it does make sense for me to save the $190, spend some time soldering some parts, as I read, I think I have to program the thing also (or at least dump the firmware), having to deal with any future issues, an haven't even looked into warranty. Please help me understand why I would want to do this.

Thanks, and I am sorry if I have offended anyone, as it is not my intention, I am just trying to make sense of this as I have been reading this forum for couple of months now and I am still using my 120V L1 that came with it, and I already ran a 208V 1-Phase 8/3 cabling for up to 40AMP breaker for what I thought would be the charger I was going to be ordering in the next couple of months (Clipper Creek HCS-40 for $590).

I'm in the middle of an OPENEvse build right now and I'll admit I'm not saving any money. Probably in for at least $100 more than the Schneider EVlink from Home Depot i was going to buy, but having fun and learning lots.

If you already have some of the "parts" you could probably save. I was starting from scratch.

Because you build it, you control the quality of the build, by picking higher quality components.
OpenEVSE also fully implements the J-1772 standard, including the diode check (many commercial units don't even bother), and also implements the "ventilation required" check, though no modern EV uses lead acid batteries any longer. OpenEVSE is also compatible with every EV it has ever been tested with, and if one is found it doesn't work with, it can be fixed. To tell you the truth, there is better support for OpenEVSE from Chris, Glen, Barbouri, etc. than you will get from most of the commercial products.

With all of the above said, if you don't like putting things together, and the challenge of building things, it's probably not for you.

GlennD said:
With chris blowing out the version 2 boards you can save at least $50.

Lower prices are not a sale or blow out, just the normal price now. As quantity goes up I pass the savings on...Here is the history of the OpenEVSE Plus

$135 Release Built by hand with solder paste, stencil and tweezers 5 at a time
$115 Initial batch of 100, power supplies bought 25 at a time
$85 Later batches of 100, power supplies bought 50 at a time
$65 Batches of 250, power supplies bought 50 at a time

mitch672 said:
Because you build it, you control the quality of the build, by picking higher quality components.
OpenEVSE also fully implements the J-1772 standard, including the diode check (many commercial units don't even bother), and also implements the "ventilation required" check, though no modern EV uses lead acid batteries any longer. OpenEVSE is also compatible with every EV it has ever been tested with, and if one is found it doesn't work with, it can be fixed. To tell you the truth, there is better support for OpenEVSE from Chris, Glen, Barbouri, etc. than you will get from most of the commercial products.

With all of the above said, if you don't like putting things together, and the challenge of building things, it's probably not for you.

Well said... Other advantages"

Its all open. Source code and schematics are out there for the world to see, improvements are made frequently to both.

Customization... Several OpenEVSE builders watch solar output with an external device and pass data to OpenEVSE which adjusts pilot current to match solar output... No commercial Charge Station can be as easily modified by its users.

Finished just minutes ago...

Vecp9prl.jpg

chris1howell said:
GlennD said:

Lower prices are not a sale or blow out, just the normal price now. As quantity goes up I pass the savings on...Here is the history of the OpenEVSE Plus

Wow, pretty awesome that you've got the batches up that high now! Thanks for letting me sneak in on one of your first hand built batches.

As Tony said if you have to ask then you really should buy the HCS-40 and you'll be much happier.

High temp is hovering right around 117F on the hottest side at 20A. Cables and J1772 plug are room temp.

Also hearing a fan noise on the car. I have never heard it, but I have never charged L2 indoors before so probably didn't notice.

chris1howell said:
GlennD said:

I just reduced pricing on just about everything...Up until Monday of this week, I was still hand building LCD and LED logic boards in batches of 10. I now have my PCB fabricator in Riverside California building both of these boards in batches in 250.

Here are a couple highlights...
Monochrome LCD kit $19.50
Red, Green Blue LED $14.50
Combo prices have also been reduced as well...
Basic combo (OpenEVSE Plus, Optional LCD, Relay pack, GFCI CT) Starting at $104

Chris,

Will my V2 board fit in your enclosure? I'm afraid I can guess the answer based on an eyeball assessment, but I have to ask. That box I hacked is UG-LAY and your custom cases look really great.

If not, I may just have to build another :)

-Alan

The holes are for the surface mount EVSE board. There is plenty of room for your board but you will need to drill the holes for it.

I find putting labels and a open hardware sticker from Adafruit really dresses up the enclosure. I have built a lot of OpenEVSEs in that enclosure and in my biased opinion they look good. I am not a fan of the blue paint but that is just me.

Thanks Glenn. I figured it would take some new holes, but was worried about the size. Glad to hear it will work.

The blue isn't quite what I was going for. It was supposed to be more like the e in Zero Emissions, but it isn't. I will look into the labels you mentioned.

I also lost control of the roto zip just a bit when making the hole for the screen hence the decora plate solution. Not even close to weather tight.

AlanSqB said:
Thanks Glenn. I figured it would take some new holes, but was worried about the size. Glad to hear it will work.

The blue isn't quite what I was going for. It was supposed to be more like the e in Zero Emissions, but it isn't. I will look into the labels you mentioned.

I also lost control of the roto zip just a bit when making the hole for the screen hence the decora plate solution. Not even close to weather tight.

I originally used a drill press to drill a series of tiny holes and finished it with a file. I purchased some fine tooth metal cutting blades for my jig saw and that is now what I use.

You could buy a new box from Home Depot for $11.78 and make a new top.

The Adafruit stickers are $.99 each but shipping will eat you up. I usually add them to a parts order.

Here is unit I have listed for sale using that enclosure

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=17663" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have some wide lcd escutcheons that I printed. PM me your address and I will send you some. They might be wide enough to cover your hole. If not I can make them wider. The wider they are the more they show the platform imperfections. The original from thingiverse had very narrow sides. The author included source files so it is easy for a non programmer like me to change.

AlanSqB said:

On my OpenEVSE in the garage I put in vent holes since the 240V contactor runs warm. Since it is mounted at the 4 foot level if it gets water damaged I have MANY other problems.

Back