OpenEVSE 16A EVSE with RGB, RTC, and amp display is sold

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennD

16A OpenEVSE with RGB and RTC and current display for sale.

I have a L1 or L2 OpenEVSE. It consists of a OpenEVSE plus ver 2.5 main board, a RGB display with RTC and a select button, a Potter & Brumfield 30A relay, fuse block and fuses, 12 Gauge input cable with a L6-20P, a 16A 15 foot L1772 car cable, and GFCI and current coils. It is mounted in a 4 3/4x8x3 inch case with a transparent cover.

This is loaded with ver 3.7.8 firmware. It will charge at L1 levels with an adapter and L2 16A directly plugged into a L6-20R. This unit has current display enabled. For 240V use it should be connected to a 20A breaker with #12 wiring,

This will charge a 2011 or 2012 Leaf at its 16A max. It will also charge a Volt or most plug in hybreds at their 16A max. It will charge any car that follows the J1772 protol at 16A.

I am selling this for $225 plus $25 for CONUS shipping. Local pickup near Disneyland is available. I build EVSEs for a hobby and I only charge for parts. In this case I got a deal on the most expensive part ( the J1772 cable ).

This is sold ASUS but i guarantee it will work upon receipt. Payment is cash for lpcal pickup or Paypal if Iship thr unit.

I shamelessly took this from vegasbrad's add. It is a good idea to emphise the details. I have always depended on my user's common sense.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Because of lawyers I have to add this. This EVSE is intended for use ONLY by responsible adults. Because they are hand-made, they are not UL listed - but are made from UL listed parts. 240v electricity is serious business and caution should be exercised while using any EVSE. For safety's sake, do not use this EVSE outdoors in inclement weather unless it is a model that specifically says Outdoor or Waterproof. This EVSE has a GFCI built inside that protects from that point down line. (The J plug side of the the EVSE is safe for outdoors in all weather). BY PLACING AN ORDER WITH US, YOU ASSUME ALL RISK ASSOCIATED WITH USING THIS EVSE AND AGREE THAT WE ARE NOT LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT MAY RESULT FROM THEIR USE.

If you find the parts to make another like this I'd be interested in something similar. Two changes i'd like:

L6-30P instead of L6-20 (easier for me to buy a L6-30 to 14-xx adapter than the L6-20 to 14-xx) and once I do I'll get the appropriate L6-30 to 5-15 adapter as well.

opaque or translucent cover (looks like the case is opaque). I don't care if it is metal or plastic but if I plug a transparent one in at work I just know some lookyloo will complain it looks homemade and isn't safe. It can be a boring gray, beige, whatever is cheapest just so long as it can hide the guts from the type that like to complain. I suppose if you can't find an opaque cover cheap I can just plastidip the lid or something.

The last case I have on hand is solid. I used the clear one because I was lazy and it did not require a display cutout. I was trying to make it as cheap as possible. Notice the Open Hardware sticker is missing($1.50). The fuse block and fuses came from Ebay also at around 25% of what Chris charges. A L6-30 could be used as long as the user realized the unit was 16A.

That one was cheap since I got the cable for $70 shipped from Ebay. The Yazaki cables I have used cost just under $130 with tax and shipping. They start out at $100 then shipping adds $20 and tax $8. Amazon has a 16A cable with 300V insulation for $99 plus tax. With prime shipping and tax it would be $108 or almost $40 more.

This was a one time super cheap deal. I build the units as a hobby and I only charge for parts. In this case I got a deal on the parts,

GlennD said:
In this case I got a deal on the parts,

I totally understand that. I don't need an openevse logo or artwork. Just thought I'd let you know my preferences in case you see a deal on parts in the near future.

dhanson865 said:
GlennD said:
In this case I got a deal on the parts,

I totally understand that. I don't need an openevse logo or artwork. Just thought I'd let you know my preferences in case you see a deal on parts in the near future.

So lets say I want this for an OpenEVSE, how cheap can you make one for me that:

does 120v 6a to 14a
does 240v 20a or better
J1772 cable 15' or longer (I have a 14-50 in the middle of my garage no problem with a 15' cable)
14-50P on the input cable
mono blue display (don't need the RGB or realtime clock, and personally don't want yellow or red display but if mono green is cheaper so be it)
button

and make or sell me a 14-50R to 5-15P adapter so I can use that unit to charge on 120v (assuming that is cheaper than making the input cable a L6-30 and me using two adapters to do 14-xx and 5-15).

I can live without artwork or labels, if it's got a clear top I'm going to probably plastidip the thing anyway.

The very cheap EVSE"s were an artifact Of the cheap prices I found. Currently I have reduced the price my 32A Openevse to $300 plus shipping. A 14-50 to 15A adapter adds $20. This is low swap meet pricing. Add more for Home Depot pricing.

Back