Only Charging with 120v at home and at work with extension cord?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RonDawg said:
jjeff said:
RonDawg said:
For those not aware, the OP stated in her introductory thread that she has decided to not get a Leaf and even went as far as deleting her account. I surmise (based on things she previously said) that strong family opposition is the reason for her sudden change of mind. She's probably quite crushed by being told to get a conventional car after finding what she thought was the Leaf of her dreams from a Quebec dealership, and deleted her account as a result.
I agree about the family thing, that and it sounds like the dealer in PQ wasn't really willing to negotiate, too bad really as Canada has an abundance of electricity and lack of heat would be good for the battery, albeit less range in the severe cold.

Maybe it's just a coincidence in timing, but perhaps the sudden change of heart (forced or voluntary) may have been prompted by the devastating wildfire in Ft. McMurray, Alberta that resulted in the entire city being evacuated....
We woke up this morning to very smoky skys(maybe 1 mile visibility??) and a strong smell of smoke :eek: Apparently the smoke got up in the jet stream and made it's way 1000s of miles to my neck of the woods! It was mostly gone by mid morning but we still have air quality advisories this evening.

LeftieBiker said:
L1 is good for maybe 40 to 50 miles per day in good conditions. Half that or less in the very cold.

That's a bit pessimistic. When I was commuting, I could easily do my 43 mile round trip commute with L-1 charging in all but the worst Winter temps - single digits F and below zero. In the latter case the car's range was as much as issue as charging time.
In the described extreme cold conditions and unreliable charging at work I don't think I was pessimistic at all.

smkettner said:
LeftieBiker said:
L1 is good for maybe 40 to 50 miles per day in good conditions. Half that or less in the very cold.

That's a bit pessimistic. When I was commuting, I could easily do my 43 mile round trip commute with L-1 charging in all but the worst Winter temps - single digits F and below zero. In the latter case the car's range was as much as issue as charging time.
In the described extreme cold conditions and unreliable charging at work I don't think I was pessimistic at all.

You quote 20-25 miles in frigid temps. I managed twice that in subzero temps (F) with windchill added as well. 40-50 miles is what I expect in typical cold (below freezing but above the teens) weather.

LeftieBiker said:
smkettner said:
LeftieBiker said:

You quote 20-25 miles in frigid temps. I managed twice that in subzero temps (F) with windchill added as well. 40-50 miles is what I expect in typical cold (below freezing but above the teens) weather.
Living in MN where we get many such days, I'd agree with you......with a fairly new 24kwh battery. With my '12 which is lacking 2 bars it may well be 10-20 miles less but thats to be expected, in summer conditions my '12 is ~20 miles less range than my '13 with all bars.
Cold, especially extreme cold which I'd consider below zero(Fahrenheit) is no friend indeed to a BEV. Part of the reason someone in such a climate may need a BEV 2x or more their longest normal drive, to compensate for the cold(and extreme wind is also a range killer) not to mention some natural battery degradation over the years.

Back