One the verge of buying... questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garsh said:
I understood him to also have charging available at home. I agree that going a full 75 miles on 8 hours of L1 charging would be undoable. But combine that with even just 10 hours of L1 charging at home, and that's a piece of cake, even in the winter.
Obviously he has to have charging at home, and it should be L2, although possible with L1 at both ends.
If workplace charging is 100% certain and OP is OK with some no heat driving then great.
But workplace charging can have issues particularly in the long term as more people drive electric and worker demand increases.
Some workplaces in CA are stepping up with six L2 and with EV valets.
Only 120V does not provide as much confidence.

Bob said:
You will be charging the car daily. Eventually, you will consider this a minor hassle.
Charging at home is, at least for me, is super easy and doesn't feel like a hassle at all.

On the other hand, taking out the portable L1 EVSE every morning to plug in at work, and putting it back in the car every evening, would be a minor hassle. It is more convenient to use an installed EVSE with a standard J-1772 plug, and keep the portable EVSE in the car for emergencies. For many people, though, this isn't a big deal.

One other issue would be that if you need to return home earlier than expected, the car might not have as much charge as you'd like. While I don't see this as a showstopper, it's something to weigh.

All of that said, it is quite enjoyable to drive electric and worth doing if you can.

I should have done more research, did not even know about the heatpump on the SV models, range is not an issue for me with my 8 mile drive to work but I missed the whole heat pump thing when comparing

TimLee said:
Some workplaces in CA are stepping up with six L2 and with EV valets.
Six? I don't know the current count at Google, but http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_24107581/gov-jerry-brown-corporate-leaders-tout-electric-vehicles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; mentions:
Google, which already has installed more than 700 charging stations at a dozen campuses, stressed its commitment to convert 5 percent of all existing and future parking spaces to electrical charging stations at the company's Mountain View headquarters...
I know Apple has some free EV charging for their employees. I'd heard they had to do valet parking at their main campus due to their buildings and parking becoming too full. Some of our EV valets (outside company) sometimes do valet (including EV valet, I believe) at Apple, from my conversations w/them.

Kubla said:
I should have done more research, did not even know about the heatpump on the SV models, range is not an issue for me with my 8 mile drive to work but I missed the whole heat pump thing when comparing
I haven't had time to read this thread but http://sfbayleafs.org/news/2013/01/2013-nissan-leaf-product-highlights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://sfbayleafs.org/commentary/2013/09/2013-vs-2011-nissan-leaf-whats-new-whats-gone-whats-changed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; may help others.

Picked up my 2015 Leaf SV with Premium package 8/1/2014. Silver, premium package. Bought for ~$24,500 after incentives and tax credit from Nissan Team North in Lebanon NH. O% financing x 3 years. Saleperson Danielle Thibodeau could not have been more honest and attentive. Zero pressure, no dealership games. She drove me an hour each way to their sister dealership in Manchester NH to pick up the car on very short notice so my ICE care would not be stranded. Financing guy was absolutely zero pressure about the extra packages/warranties which I declined. Was in and out of the dealership, including processing the financing in about 90 minutes. They checked the car over and solved a small glitch or two while I was there. Handles beautifully, poring over the manuals, successfully linked to Carwings. Almost too fun to drive..... almost. Who would of thought that a commuter car could bring the fun back into driving?

I will install L2 charging at home (any thoughts about which one?). L1 at work is reserved and available. Free for now as well. As for cold, I cross country ski in a one layer shirt... love the cold. At home, garage heated to 40 F. Can preheat car while plugged in and for those very extreme days will use the 9 year old AWD ICE Toyota Matrix as it will handle better in snow. The LEAF will allow me to extend the life of the backup Matrix. I bought instead of leased because the higher mileage drove the cost of leasing way up with a wimpy residual value; can't beat 0% financing. If I get 5-6 years out of this car, I'm ahead of the game. Solar PV system will be installed by September at home so juice will be cheaper (eventually <grin>).

I'd like to thank all on the forum who provided balanced advice and guidance. Now on to deciding on which EVSE to get for home.... I can wire and install it myself. Don't need glitz, prefer low profile and reliablity. Will use OEM dealer supplied L1 charger at work (free juice). Any thoughts?

Many thanks!

I suggest the Clipper Creek units. If your wiring can handle it, a HCS 40 unit (which actually delivers 30 amps or so but requires a 40 amp breaker, thus the name) would be a good investment. Otherwise a HCS 30 (25 amps, IIRC) unit is fine. The three year warranty is hard to beat and the units are simple and rugged..

Check your tire pressure with the car cold. It was probably set too low, per Nissan. 40psi or so is what you want in Summer, and only slightly lower in Winter.

Congratulations on taking the plunge. I also have and can recommend the Clipper Creek HCS 40. Think of the EVSE as a long-term investment. Recommend not skimping on the wiring, should be using #8 wire on a 40 amp breaker for the 30 amp units. Look around your garage area for a mounting location with the ample slack to charge inside or parked outside. This just adds to the convenience.

The grins start with the blank stares after explaining the financial figures to co-workers...let's see, ran 4,500 miles over the past 2 months which represents @ 160 gallons of gasoline not purchased. That usually quiets the naysayers.

LeftieBiker said:
I suggest the Clipper Creek units. If your wiring can handle it, a HCS 40 unit (which actually delivers 30 amps or so but requires a 40 amp breaker, thus the name) would be a good investment. Otherwise a HCS 30 (25 amps, IIRC) unit is fine. The three year warranty is hard to beat and the units are simple and rugged..

Check your tire pressure with the car cold. It was probably set too low, per Nissan. 40psi or so is what you want in Summer, and only slightly lower in Winter.
Agreed on the Clipper Creek units. They look a bit industrial, but there have been near zero problems reported with them. And gaspasser might also consider having the portable EVSE that comes with the car, upgraded by evseupgrade.com to dual 120/240V, if they want to tour and would like the option of L2 charging in areas lacking public L2s while doing so. Or using it at work, should a 240V receptacle be available.

Back