On-board battery charger died and has to be replaced after 60K miles.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brand new on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/296A0-3NA2A-Plug-In-Hybrid-Battery-Charger-Assembly-fits-2011-Nissan-Leaf-/232110069769?fits=Make%3ANissan%7CModel%3ALeaf&hash=item360ad69809:g:2A8AAOSwPCVX~Amc&vxp=mtr]

$850.

Used ones on there also for $440. Better than $2600.

I got Honda to cover 1/2 the cost of a tranny failure of an Acura just out of warranty by calling the number in the owners manual for Honda consumer affairs.

Hi,
Is the part easy to install yourself?

p/n: 296A0-3NA2A

Vincam said:
Brand new on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/296A0-3NA2A-Plug-In-Hybrid-Battery-Charger-Assembly-fits-2011-Nissan-Leaf-/232110069769?fits=Make%3ANissan%7CModel%3ALeaf&hash=item360ad69809:g:2A8AAOSwPCVX~Amc&vxp=mtr]

$850.

Quite cheap and easy to put a diode into the pilot signal line if that is the problem with your charger.

cwerdna said:
If the stock L1 EVSE (aka trickle charger cable) that came w/the car still charges (albeit slowly), then it's likely the diode in the OBC was blown.

cwerdna said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Never mind, you're right. OP is screwed.
Indeed. Hopefully Nissan can do goodwill coverage of part of the cost.

It seems too early for something so expensive like this to fail.

agreed and I think the OP has a good chance at getting some relief. In relationship to other car repairs, this is simply out of line with any reasonable expectation of maintenance cost.

mxp said:
Hi,
Is the part easy to install yourself?

p/n: 296A0-3NA2A

Vincam said:
Brand new on ebay

$850.

I'm not really sure but I'd try to find out for that kind of money. How much labor is on the estimate? Might give you some kind of idea. I don't think it is all that difficult though. I would also be trying out your L1 EVSE and seeing if it works like the others are suggesting. A diode, if it fixes it, would be a couple bucks.

I am happy to report that I petitioned Nissan about my battery charger failure and repair only 106 miles out of warranty and they decided to pay the entire bill. The customer service gentleman took my information, keep me well informed of each step of the process, called when he said he would call and ultimately go them to pay for the repair. I could not be happier with how it was all handled. Nissan keeps me as a satisfied customer as I continue to use my Leaf. I have to go back to find out how long the warranty is on my new part, but now, I am operational again. Thank you Nissan.

How did the charger die? By that I mean was it good one day and failed the next?

Mine seems to be "failing" in a slow death spiral. It'll charge three days no problem. Then it will trip up one or both of my Clipper Creek units. The CC units have been checked out and are perfect. And they work with all other cars. My portable Nissan charger works without issue. But L2 chargers have intermittent issues... with this car only.

And yes, the car has been charged at GE WattStations occasionally (maybe 20 times total). And that situation was erratic from the start, and now getting worse. Of course my car is the fist batch of 2011 delivered to the US, and so I'm out of warranty. The battery is barely good for 50 miles of range now (at only 36,000 miles). So the idea of paying a bunch of money just so I can continue to slowly (3.3 kw) charge this rapidly dying battery is just too much to swallow. I've owned four EVs now. And this Leaf is becoming my most expensive vehicle to own of all time (when that astonishingly rapid depreciation and the coming repairs are taken into account).

On-board battery charger failures are common on the first 2 years 2011-12 leafs until nissan completely revised the cars powertrain from 2013-up. more info here https://evsenhanced.com/services/on-board-charger-repair-firmware-updates/
the latest charger 296A0-3NA8A solves all these known failures as far as i know, if you have any previous versions they WILL fail, some are repairable by replacing blown capacitors, resisters diodes etc. and its advised to NOT THROW AWAY THESE CHARGERS there are folks out there who like to acquire them and are capable of repairing them. ebay is the perfect place to sell them.

Back