OMG, another generally positive EV report from Fox News

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTLFTcomposite

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/03/19/electric-highway-opens-in-oregon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They did mention stimulus, just to keep some negativity intact.

I'm remaining open in my mind to the slight possibility that once they really see these things in action, they may make an about face on their EV stance.

GaslessInSeattle said:
I'm remaining open in my mind to the slight possibility that once they really see these things in action, they may make an about face on their EV stance.

Not if it is counter to what keeps their ratings up (i.e., knuckle draggers who hate anything related to Obama, and apparently EVs equal Obamacars).

GaslessInSeattle said:

If/when we get a republican in office and the Volt is no longer associated with Obama, then Fox News will suddenly start praising them.

adric22 said:
GaslessInSeattle said:

If/when we get a republican in office and the Volt is no longer associated with Obama, then Fox News will suddenly start praising them.

They would love the torque in their trucks, that's for sure. Plus the gun toting ones would have fun with electric conversions. :twisted:

adric22 said:

Exactly, thats why I am hoping Obama will be a one termer :)

but I must admit that Obama is very supportive of EVs, on one hand we get subsidies and on the other hand he curbs oil production, a double whammy.. $2 a gallon gas right now would be disastrous

Herm said:

But the one to replace him will treat the country like a troubled asset and treat his donors like major shareholders.

Herm said:
adric22 said:

but I must admit that Obama is very supportive of EVs, on one hand we get subsidies and on the other hand he curbs oil production, a double whammy.. $2 a gallon gas right now would be disastrous

Oil production in the US peaked about 1970, and has been decreasing steadily since about '83, but has gone UP for the first time starting in 2009.

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=MCRFPUS2&f=A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe this deserves a thread of its own. But I wonder if we could make a chart and research all of the possible republican candidates as well as Obama and any 3rd parties and figure out what their stance is on different aspects of EVs, alternate fuel, and the oil industry. I know at least one of the republican candidates wanted to repeal the EV tax credit, but I can't remember which one.

Any republican candidate would be a nightmare compared to Obama... climate change denial, drill baby drill, desire to kill the EPA, let the pollution flow, kill any chance of clean energy. This isn't a secret, they say it loud and clear. Obama is actually a moderate republican by earlier standards; he can only be called a democrat because the republican party has gone off the rails.

adric22 said:
Maybe this deserves a thread of its own. But I wonder if we could make a chart and research all of the possible republican candidates as well as Obama and any 3rd parties and figure out what their stance is on different aspects of EVs, alternate fuel, and the oil industry. I know at least one of the republican candidates wanted to repeal the EV tax credit, but I can't remember which one.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/22/us/politics/obama-to-promote-energy-policy-on-4-state-trip.html?_r=1&src=twr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
this will help.

Herm said:
on the other hand he curbs oil production, a double whammy.. $2 a gallon gas right now would be disastrous
Obama has done very little to curb oil production except in extreme cases where additional environmental reviews (Keystone XL - and this only affects Canadian production) and Gulf (aftermath of BP oil spill - which is basically back open to where it was before now). Oil production has been steadily rising since he took office.

The only thing that will bring $2 gas is a global economic collapse like we had in 2008 as Bush was leaving office.

Otherwise, no amount of drilling in the USA will have any significant affect on oil prices and all impartial studies have confirmed this fact.

LTLFTcomposite said:
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/03/19/electric-highway-opens-in-oregon/

They did mention stimulus, just to keep some negativity intact.

Well, they just posted an AP story...they didn't write it themselves. Probably put it out there as bait for all their trolls to comment on.

TonyWilliams said:
GaslessInSeattle said:

Not if it is counter to what keeps their ratings up (i.e., knuckle draggers who hate anything related to Obama, and apparently EVs equal Obamacars).

I got my leaf back in Dec. Reserved it back in April 2010. And yet I read Foxnews and dislike Obama. I really don't care who the RDC gets to run against Obama, I'm voting for him/her. I didn't like Bush but I think Obama has been even worst. But don't get me started as this isn't the place.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/03/20/why-is-president-obama-so-rattled-by-newt-gingrich/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"We have 100 years’ supply of natural gas – a relatively clean and cheap fuel that should be at the heart of our planning. Instead, White House policy is stuck on the outmoded notion that the world was running out of oil and gas."

Maybe fox figured out that American energy can power cars, so they don’t want to look like hypocrites

Dino said:
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/03/20/why-is-president-obama-so-rattled-by-newt-gingrich/

"We have 100 years’ supply of natural gas – a relatively clean and cheap fuel that should be at the heart of our planning. Instead, White House policy is stuck on the outmoded notion that the world was running out of oil and gas."

Maybe fox figured out that American energy can power cars, so they don’t want to look like hypocrites

I don't understand that quote. So we have 100 years supply of natural gas. What does that have to do with oil? That's like having the keg run dry at a frat party and saying "hey no problem, the kitchen faucet still works".

LTLFTcomposite said:
Dino said:
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/03/20/why-is-president-obama-so-rattled-by-newt-gingrich/

I don't understand that quote. So we have 100 years supply of natural gas. What does that have to do with oil? That's like having the keg run dry at a frat party and saying "hey no problem, the kitchen faucet still works".
I presume Dino's point was that cars can also be powered by CNG (As T. Boone Pickens and others have suggested), and we now have lots of it here because of fracking.

GRA said:
I presume Dino's point was that cars can also be powered by CNG (As T. Boone Pickens and others have suggested), and we now have lots of it here because of fracking.

Fair enough. But I wonder how many folks have looked that closely at nat gas cars. From discussion on another thread it sounds like the range on the civic GX, while better than the Leaf, isn't anything to write home about. Not to say the civic is necessarily ultimate NG car, but I wouldn't be surprised to see EVs surpass that range in a few years. Also, you still have an ICE with its inherent inefficiency. Maybe it's better to save the natural gas for backup power plants and home heating. Just sayin.

There is still a lot we don't know about fracking and negative impacts it could have. Personally I'm not a fan of it so NG is not high on my list.

My (vague) point is if it’s relatively clean and cheap it should be burned in power plants for electric cars.

My guess is that he added load on the grid from electric cars will be made up largely with natural gas. Although I might be wrong again

Back