OMG, another generally positive EV report from Fox News

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
I presume Dino's point was that cars can also be powered by CNG (As T. Boone Pickens and others have suggested), and we now have lots of it here because of fracking.
So we might have 100 years of natural gas at current rates of consumption.

Then what happens when we move half our transportation fleet from oil to natural gas?

Here are some nice little chart which shows where the USA currently gets it's energy:

https://flowcharts.llnl.gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One can easily see that our petroleum usage for transportation is about equal to our total natural gas consumption at around 25 Quads.

Let's say our goal is energy independence so we'll set a goal of moving half our transportation fleet to natural gas - about 13 Quads worth.

How long will natural gas last if we increase our rate of consumption 50%? Never mind that we also want to shift as much coal (21 Quads) to natural gas as well until we can scale more sustainable, cleaner sources of electricity?

Now we're doubling (if not more) our rate of natural gas consumption - all of a sudden we're left with 50 years of natural gas instead of 100.

Never mind that just because we have 50 years of a resource at current rates actually means we can pull it out of the ground fast enough to maintain current rates of consumption.

Never mind that if we keep on burning fossil fuels at current rates, 50 years from now we are going to have some very interesting weather...

Never mind that natural gas prices have been extremely volatile in the past - not that long ago prices were 5-6x higher than they are now - and because natural gas is very expensive to ship - should we experience a shortage locally getting it from somewhere else is going to cost a LOT.

Never mind that many people think that our current rates of natural gas extraction are unsustainable - have you seen the decline rates of your typical fracked natural gas wells?

Back