Official Toyota RAV4 EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Valdemar said:
I'm just curious. My commute is more like 1500 miles/mo, and soon will be 2000, so it will be more than $10. Also, on my Leaf I'm averaging 4.6 on the dashboard. But I get your point. Is there any information how much more they want for the lease with unlimited mileage?

Rav4 EV 2013. Updated August 1st, 2013

I now have 39 available. Of those 40, 24 are physically here .. and the others are arriving quickly!

Blizzard Pearl white (20)
Shoreline Blue Pearl (8)
Silver (11)

$15,400 lease cash!!!

AFter the lease cash, you literally net out at $33,188 before bank fee or tax/license fees are calculated.

Best lease deal yet! Yes, they FINALLY did it. Added the Federal Tax incentive to the top of the lease.
But, you are also more than welcome to use the 0% apr for 60 months. (There is no bonus cash for purchase, only lease!)
The Rav4 EV can also be leased to CA buyers w/ unlimited mileage as well for just $444-448 per month! NOT A DIME out of your own pocket, and you're still getting $2500 back from the state PDQ!!

MY *EV* pricing on a lease is $33,188 after the $15,400 lease bonus cash is factored in. (please add $360 for the pearl white paint choice) That means the advertised 299 + tax lease is even cheaper thru me when you add the tax up-front for the state. That's right. Without a dime of added cap reduction, it's only $444-$448 for UNLIMITED mileage and $414-$419 at 12K annual. (it varied depending on your tax rate)

Out of state buyers, your payments are a tad less than our CA lease payments initially for simple math/tax reasons.
Unlimited mileage lease has a $19,920 residual. The 12K annual is $20916.

(CA residents get an added $2,500 CA state tax credit mailed, please reach me for details, some other states have large credits too and we can figure that out easily)

Our CA doc fees are $80. Our CA tire fee is $7. total. On lease, TFS' bank fee is $650.

Out of state? I prefer phone calls for details from the serious, if possible. It's far easier to talk things thru with mutual verbal interaction....and I do prefer eMails from the not-so-serious/not ready...
and please don't post to this thread as a reply. eMail me instead?
It gets confusing trying to find these details thru posts. Thanks!

1333 E 223rd Street, Carson, CA 90745

I have the original Blink EVSE, will it handle the RAV4 charging current? There have been some reports lately about Blinks melting while charging at 7kW.

Valdemar said:
I have the original Blink EVSE, will it handle the RAV4 charging current? There have been some reports lately about Blinks melting while charging at 7kW.

Uh, ya, it melted mine last November. I don't recommend Blink for wiping your body fluid cavities.

Maybe you can sell it and get a proper unit, or at the very least, get rid of the REMA J1772 plug that is on it and replace it with a quality brand (Yazaki, ITT, etc) plug. Only about $200 - $300 with cable.

Blinkj1772burntPinB.jpg

Can you give an example of a proper unit, e.g. the kind you have? Also, is it possible to limit max current it draws on the car? Will likely need a temporary solution with my Blink.

Valdemar said:
Can you give an example of a proper unit, e.g. the kind you have? Also, is it possible to limit max current it draws on the car? Will likely need a temporary solution with my Blink.

There is no way to control the amps from the Rav4 EV (like a Tesla can do). Sorry.

I use a Clipper Creek CS-50, and that will supply 40 amps continuous. I use the ITT (Leviton) brand 75 amp J1772 plug with 6 gauge conductors. It can charge in 5 hours.

If you are ok with a 7-8 hour recharge time on the Rav4 EV, then I recommend the Clipper Creek CS-40, or one of the many, many good 30 amp EVSE's. I like the AeroVironment one.

Also, I modify the Tesla Model S UMC (portable 40 amp EVSE) with a J1772 for use on the Rav4 EV. Now you can charge at full speed on the road at RV parks with "50 amp service". Obviously, you can also charge at home with a NEMA 14-50 wall plug in your garage. About $1000 total.

TonyWilliams said:
mkjayakumar said:
This is great piece of information, and thanks Tony for posting it. The $444 with $0 down is even cheaper than the payment I am making for my Leaf today. Just can't wait to get out of it.

Of course the main issue of servicing here in DFW area is still not resolved, unless I take a leap of faith.

Absolute worst case, you have to ship it to either California, or a Toyota dealer elsewhere that can handle it. Or offer to "tip" your local dealer to get Plug In Prius / Rav4 EV certified.
Has anyone successfully accomplished convincing their dealer to become RAV4 EV certified? I'd love to know the total cost, what's involved, as I would like to approach my already Prius Plug-in certified dealer about this.

TonyWilliams said:
Valdemar said:
If only it had a CHAdeMO port, then it would be a no-brainer.

What if there was an aftermarket CHAdeMO solution? How much would you pay?

Given we see more non-Nissan dealership installs around where I live up to $1k, may be slightly more. The bigger issue it would most certainly void battery warranty unless you're talking about converting 400V DC to 240V/40A AC to feed the OBC, which I wouldn't buy at all.

Valdemar said:
TonyWilliams said:
Valdemar said:
If only it had a CHAdeMO port, then it would be a no-brainer.

What if there was an aftermarket CHAdeMO solution? How much would you pay?

Given we see more non-Nissan dealership installs around where I live up to $1k, may be slightly more. The bigger issue it would most certainly void battery warranty unless you're talking about converting 400V DC to 240V/40A AC to feed the OBC, which I wouldn't buy at all.

Wow, hadn't even thought of that!!

The battery warranty isn't much !!

I had seriously considered a RAV4 EV. Tony Williams is a type A pusher for his current interest. Given his problems and the found on road dead problems listed on the RAV4 EV Forum I changed my mind. I am a SUV type but my Leaf SL will suit my needs. Best of all it is not a no support CARB car.

From what I can see he gets utterly enthused with his current project and that is currently the RAV4EV. This is not to say that this is a bad thing.

GlennD said:
From what I can see he gets utterly enthused with his current project and that is currently the RAV4EV. This is not to say that this is a bad thing.

True, but Tony isn't a cheerleader either. He's the first to point out the shortcomings as quickly as what he likes. It's clear that as much as he likes the RAV4 for it's utility, power and range, his patience is wearing thin on the issues he's had and Toyota's attitude on fixing them.

I'm thankful for all the contributions Tony has made with regard to both the Leaf and the RAV4. I wouldn't call him a pusher; He's quite open about the issues with the RAV4 and I haven't witnessed him twisting any arms.

The RAV4 seems to be a more reliable conversion than the Focus EV, and if I knew I could get one serviced around here, I'd jump on one.

Well, I must say Tony's complaints and the research on the RAV4EV forum cost Toyota a sale. I was leaning in that direction but reconsidered.

GlennD said:
Well, I must say Tony's complaints and the research on the RAV4EV forum cost Toyota a sale. I was leaning in that direction but reconsidered.

Well, I'm on the Nissan-****-List(TM), so I might as well be on the Toyota one, too.

For folks considering the car in an urban area of California, within driving distance of a Rav4 EV certified dealer, I really wouldn't worry too much about the car. Granted, we are hearing more and more of cars physically not being able move, or even to leave the dealership (when newly sold) due to an EV fault of some kind. But, ultimately, I do expect all the issues to eventually be resolved (hopefully before the last one rolls off the Woodstock, Ontario assembly plant sometime in late 2014 / early 2015).

For folks outside of California, and there are several with the Rav4 EV and one in Canada, it's more of a gamble. Just remember that the absolute WORST thing that will happen will be having to ship the car back to a certified Rav4 EV dealer, wherever that may be (yes, there are some outside California).

I would prepare for a full on war if Toyota made me do that, however. The overwhelming majority of issues should be able to be resolved at a local Plug-In Prius certified dealer.

Finally, Toyota is VERY open about how much they don't like BEVs. So, if you think you're helping Toyota in some way to get involved with BEVs, guess again. If they could stop the CARB-ZEV mandate in California, like happened in 2000-2003, this car would stop production IMMEDIATELY.

Buy the car if you like it, know the ramifications, and grin past all the oil dispensing stations! Toyota will sell about 1700 more, and that's it.

Back