Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mitch672 said:
This link shows the test drive schedule, they are only allowing reservation holders on the test drives, for now, it will cost you a $5K refundable deposit... I have been emailing back and forth with a Tesla advisor. The New York test drive event is in 3 weeks.

http://www.teslamotors.com/own/testdrive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Uhh... I'm not planning to plunk down a $5K deposit just for a test drive. I have no intention of buying one, for now.

If the same car were being sold buy a major automaker who's actually had years of profits (unlike Tesla's 0 profitable years) and has almost no chance of going out of business, then I'd have less hesitation.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Does it ask you to touch OK to accept every time you start it?

It's been answered earlier...check it out.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7471&p=166756&hilit=Tesla#p166756" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cwerdna said:
mitch672 said:
This link shows the test drive schedule, they are only allowing reservation holders on the test drives, for now, it will cost you a $5K refundable deposit... I have been emailing back and forth with a Tesla advisor. The New York test drive event is in 3 weeks.

http://www.teslamotors.com/own/testdrive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Uhh... I'm not planning to plunk down a $5K deposit just for a test drive. I have no intention of buying one, for now.

If the same car were being sold buy a major automaker who's actually had years of profits (unlike Tesla's 0 profitable years) and has almost no chance of going out of business, then I'd have less hesitation.

after the 45 days of test drives, the Model S's used for the event are being redeployed at the various Tesla stores around the country, you will be able to get a test drive then. It's just the summer event in the next 45 days, only reservation holders are being offered test drives.

I just bought a Plug in Prius, after rejecting the Leaf I had on order (couldn't do a 1 car solution with the Leaf) The Model S is probably the only all electric car I would even consider right now, it has so much range, range anxiety is gone, not even a consideration. Even placing a $5K deposit now, delivery is still 12-18 months out, by then the Model S should be well proven. I think the Model S is going to have less trouble with pack degradation in hot/cold climates than the Leaf, because of the TMS built into the Model S.

With the stellar response/communications from Nissan about the hot climate capacity bar issues, who do you trust more, Nissan or Tesla? my money's on Tesla (or soon will be)

Took the Tesla S road test yesterday and today at Hawthorne California at the Tesla Design center. Car is awesome. Very much like the LEAF, but bigger and a bit more off the line acceleration in the performance model. Very quiet car.

laalan said:
Took the Tesla S road test yesterday and today at Hawthorne California at the Tesla Design center. Car is awesome. Very much like the LEAF, but bigger and a bit more off the line acceleration in the performance model. Very quiet car.
The performance model indicates "4.4 seconds" 0-60 and the LEAF is just under 9 seconds, I think...so half? That would seems like more than "a bit more off the line". Then again you didn't indicate up to what MPH. http://www.teslamotors.com/models/options" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Saw the Tesla X at the store in Santa Monica today. It was there through today. Very nice! They expect that improvements in battery technology between now and when it is released late next year will more than make up for the increased drag and it will likely have higher range numbers than the Current S.... Weight is about the same as the S they say.

TomT said:
Saw the Tesla X at the store in Santa Monica today. It was there through today. Very nice! They expect that improvements in battery technology between now and when it is released late next year will more than make up for the increased drag and it will likely have higher range numbers than the Current S.... Weight is about the same as the S they say.

Saw it yesterday. That's the one I'd get.

TomT said:
That sounds like a faster schedule for battery improvement than anything coming from Nissan. Maybe they expect to use the advanced chemistry of the S 85 kWh battery, with a price drop due to increased volume.

Pictures from the Tesla Model S drive event at Hawthorne, Ca, June 30 and July 1, 2012.

Black Beta model available to sit in. All of the other cars are production versions.

Green color, base 19 inch wheels

Brown color, upgrade 21 inch wheels, standard on Signature

All pics are clickable for slightly larger views.

Attachments

• aIMG_0551.jpg
    aIMG_0551.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 33
  • aIMG_0556.jpg
    aIMG_0556.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 33
  • aIMG_0557.jpg
    aIMG_0557.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 33
More pictures from Model S test drive event, Hawthorne, CA

Attachments

• aIMG_0558.jpg
    aIMG_0558.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 32
  • aIMG_0563.jpg
    aIMG_0563.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 32
  • aIMG_0566.jpg
    aIMG_0566.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 32
More Model S pictures from Hawthorne

Silver Model S with 21 inch wheels and optional panoramic glass roof. This one had been a crash test car, so panel fit was not up to standard. Silver color is striking, though.

Optional rear jump seats in bottom pic

Attachments

• aIMG_0567.jpg
    aIMG_0567.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 57
  • aIMG_0577.jpg
    aIMG_0577.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 57
  • aIMG_0578.jpg
    aIMG_0578.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 57
More Model S pics

New red color, I think it's called Sunburst. It's the red for the non-Signature cars. Not yet available but coming soon.

Rear view of the silver engineering (crash tested) car showing rear of the pano glass roof open

Attachments

• aIMG_0584.jpg
    aIMG_0584.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 58
  • aIMG_0591.jpg
    aIMG_0591.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 58
  • aIMG_0593.jpg
    aIMG_0593.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 58
More Model S pics

Top pic is the setting screen for ride height for the air suspension, steering quickness (3 settings), and regen (standard or light)

Bottom pic is the pano glass roof

Attachments

• aIMG_0600.jpg
    aIMG_0600.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 55
  • aIMG_0608.jpg
    aIMG_0608.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 55
  • aIMG_0614.jpg
    aIMG_0614.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 55
More pics

Signature Red with included ( included in Signature, optional on standard cars) 21 inch wheels

Screen showing energy use graph for past half hour or so (as I recall)

Driver seating position

Attachments

• aIMG_0625.jpg
    aIMG_0625.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 55
  • aIMG_0631.jpg
    aIMG_0631.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 55
  • aIMG_0633.jpg
    aIMG_0633.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 55
More pics

These are all pics of an optional rear seat console prototype with cupholders of which Tesla is getting buyer's opinions. Seats are the perforated leather

Attachments

• aIMG_0641.jpg
    aIMG_0641.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 55
  • aIMG_0642.jpg
    aIMG_0642.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 55
  • aIMG_0643.jpg
    aIMG_0643.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 55
More pics

The headlights are cool looking, with white LED DRLs surrounding the main beams

These four seats are the four non-Performance perforated leather color choices

Rear seat with two child seats showing good seat room for an adult remaining

Attachments

• aIMG_0648.jpg
    aIMG_0648.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 56
  • aIMG_0650.jpg
    aIMG_0650.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 56
  • aIMG_0651.jpg
    aIMG_0651.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 56
More pics

A better view of the steering, suspension and regen settings screen

Silver Performance model, black (grey) 21 inch wheels are specific for Performance model

The bottom pic is a peek under the plastic cover located to the rear of the front trunk ("frunk"). A plastic panel can be removed, revealing the brake fluid reservoir. The blue reservoir is the windshield washer fluid, accessible without removing the plastic panel.

Attachments

• aIMG_0652.jpg
    aIMG_0652.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 56
  • aIMG_0655.jpg
    aIMG_0655.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 56
  • aIMG_0659.jpg
    aIMG_0659.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 56
More pics

Dolphin Grey Performance Model

White Performance Model (I'm not sure whether this is the standard white or the top line pearlescent white)

Rear of the Dolphin Grey Performance

Both of these cars looked very striking

Attachments

• aIMG_0661.jpg
    aIMG_0661.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 54
  • aIMG_0662.jpg
    aIMG_0662.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 54
  • aIMG_0663.jpg
    aIMG_0663.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 54
Almost done...

The Dolphin Grey Performance model showing the LED daytime running lights

Kids and adults trying out the optional rear jump seats. The kids fit better... I almost got a shot of the two men sitting in the seats, had the lens cap on, and they didn't look terribly uncomfortable, but the hatch was open, so not really a good test.

Attachments

• aIMG_0664.jpg
    aIMG_0664.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 52
  • aIMG_0667.jpg
    aIMG_0667.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 52
  • aIMG_0604.jpg
    aIMG_0604.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 49
cwerdna said:

Which car company would that be? None of the USA ones, for sure.

Back