Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now after Tesla sent out more invites for the March 31 unveiling in Los Angeles, we are now told that Tesla will indeed have Model 3 prototypes at the event and not only pictures.

Yesterday, Tesla sent out an email blast to Model S/X owners to participate in a lottery to win one of 650 invites to the event, but it also sent out invitations to a select few media outlets. Slashgear claimed to have received one of those invitations and wrote:

Those prototypes should, the invitation goes on to suggest, be functional, too. Press will be able “to take a quick spin in what we’ve been working on,” Tesla says.

http://electrek.co/2016/03/16/tesla-model-3-unveiling-prototypes/

Rebel44 said:
Now after Tesla sent out more invites for the March 31 unveiling in Los Angeles, we are now told that Tesla will indeed have Model 3 prototypes at the event and not only pictures.

Yesterday, Tesla sent out an email blast to Model S/X owners to participate in a lottery to win one of 650 invites to the event, but it also sent out invitations to a select few media outlets. Slashgear claimed to have received one of those invitations and wrote:

Those prototypes should, the invitation goes on to suggest, be functional, too. Press will be able “to take a quick spin in what we’ve been working on,” Tesla says.

http://electrek.co/2016/03/16/tesla-model-3-unveiling-prototypes/

Awesome, I had not seen that yet. Thanks for the info!

Thinking of leasing a model 3. Anybody have experience with Tesla leasing?

After $1k deposit, hopefully still a $7.5k fed credit up front (do they do that?) and probably a couple upgrades, might have to put down a little more to come in below $300/month.

Model S leasing seems to start at 10k miles per year, gonna need more than that.

DNAinaGoodWay said:

After $1k deposit, hopefully still a $7.5k fed credit up front (do they do that?) and probably a couple upgrades, might have to put down a little more to come in below $300/month.

Model S leasing seems to start at 10k miles per year, gonna need more than that.

IIRC, they have options for 10, 15, or 20K miles/year

Rebel44 said:
I think I will wait for some 2 year old CPO cars - I can easily buy base Model 3, but after adding expected price of SC access, AWD, larger battery pack, Winter Package etc. I would likely be around $50K + tax, which is too much for me.

Me too. My Leaf has depreciated just about as far as it can (as it is, it's worth more to me as hobby parts than I could sell it for). I might as well wring out a few more years from my previous purchase.

Also after 2 years on the market (this is likely circa 2020), the next big thing will be coming out. Like a fully autonomous Model Y with a 75kWh battery for $40k. With any luck, that will put downward pressure on the resale value of the first copies of the Model III. While these cars will continue to improve, I'm convinced that the Model III will be good enough for me to get off gas completely. So while others scramble to get the latest and greatest, I will just wait until the Model III is a little more affordable.

Rebel44 said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

IIRC, they have options for 10, 15, or 20K miles/year

Model S leasing shows 10,12, and 15k. 12k adds $20/month 15k adds $39

Residual is bound to be better than Leaf.

With the news that current Tesla owner's and employees getting the first dibs, everyone else is looking at least 2-yrs wait(without production delays) and no Federal Tax credit. I doubt if I would go thru the trouble of standing in the line outside the store. I think I'll just place the order online instead.

Most likely I will get tired of waiting for Model 3 and end up with either Bolt or Volt, which I think will have full tax credit for several years.

DNAinaGoodWay said:

Yes, you can get the tax credit, sort of, if it is still available when you order. Tesla (or their leasing partner) adds it to the residual value and determines the payments based on what's left. However, if you want to "lease-to-own", that doesn't work well. So far as I can tell in talking to them you have to pay the residual plus tax credit, meaning that you don't benefit from the tax credit (what you save in lease payments you pay anyway when you buy the car). Unless they change it for the Model 3 to make it more fair (not likely).

If all you want to do is lease and turn the car in at lease end, then it should work fine.

pksd1 said:
With the news that current Tesla owner's and employees getting the first dibs, everyone else is looking at least 2-yrs wait(without production delays) and no Federal Tax credit. I doubt if I would go thru the trouble of standing in the line outside the store. I think I'll just place the order online instead.

Most likely I will get tired of waiting for Model 3 and end up with either Bolt or Volt, which I think will have full tax credit for several years.

Is this true? Bummer!

dgpcolorado said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

Yes, you can get the tax credit, sort of, if it is still available when you order. Tesla (or their leasing partner) adds it to the residual value and determines the payments based on what's left. However, if you want to "lease-to-own", that doesn't work well. So far as I can tell in talking to them you have to pay the residual plus tax credit, meaning that you don't benefit from the tax credit (what you save in lease payments you pay anyway when you buy the car). Unless they change it for the Model 3 to make it more fair (not likely).

If all you want to do is lease and turn the car in at lease end, then it should work fine.

Yeah, that would pretty much rule out lease to own, which is my ultimate goal when I've got the right vehicle. With the above news, guess I'll hope for a 60 kWh eNV200 in 2017.

pksd1 said:

Incorrect - based on expected sales, Tesla Federal Tax credit alotment will run out in late 2018, but it will take further 5-6 quarters for credit to disappear.

IIRC, after quarter in which Federal Tax credit alotment runs out, there is
1 quarter of full credit
2 quarters of 50% credit
2 quarters of 25% credit

Rebel44 said:
pksd1 said:

Incorrect - based on expected sales, Tesla Federal Tax credit alotment will run out in late 2018, but it will take further 5-6 quarters for credit to disappear.

IIRC, after quarter in which Federal Tax credit alotment runs out, there is
1 quarter of full credit
2 quarters of 50% credit
2 quarters of 25% credit

Yes I have seen those fading tax credits. 25% of $7500 is just chump change for $40K+ car. Even 50% credit is not much of an incentive.

this morning, employee sources have confirmed that the invitations went out at around 1am PT. Employees weren’t given a look at the Model 3 or any of the specs and are ordering it sight unseen. Two different sources say that almost everyone they knew in the company would make a reservation, again sight unseen, so Tesla should have a pretty good orders start with its 15,000 strong employee base…

http://electrek.co/2016/03/18/tesla-employees-began-ordering-their-model-3s-last-night-sight-unseen/

Rebel44 said:
this morning, employee sources have confirmed that the invitations went out at around 1am PT. Employees weren’t given a look at the Model 3 or any of the specs and are ordering it sight unseen. Two different sources say that almost everyone they knew in the company would make a reservation, again sight unseen, so Tesla should have a pretty good orders start with its 15,000 strong employee base…

http://electrek.co/2016/03/18/tesla-employees-began-ordering-their-model-3s-last-night-sight-unseen/

If you had access to first-dibs reservations, why wouldn't you make one, even sight unseen? It's fully refundable. Moreover, you may be able to sell it for $2000 a year from now.

GetOffYourGas said:
If you had access to first-dibs reservations, why wouldn't you make one, even sight unseen? It's fully refundable. Moreover, you may be able to sell it for $2000 a year from now.

In the past Tesla has not allowed transferring or selling of reservation slots. I doubt they will start now.

Zythryn said:
GetOffYourGas said:

In the past Tesla has not allowed transferring or selling of reservation slots. I doubt they will start now.

Do they somehow prevent you from selling a car that you bought outright? There are always ways to work around that. Depending on the demand, I could see that happening.

GetOffYourGas said:
Zythryn said:
GetOffYourGas said:

Do they somehow prevent you from selling a car that you bought outright? There are always ways to work around that. Depending on the demand, I could see that happening.

No,, there is nothing stopping you from selling the car.
It is just a hassle, and some risk, to find someone to buy the car, tell you what configuration they want, you then place the order, and then they wait for weeks to months for the car.
You then accept delivery and then sell the car to the buyer.

There are a lot of steps in there, and some risk you accept. A number of people have had buyers back out after configuring.
Who pays the sales tax?
Can you accept without titling the car? If not, what about the rebate?

What if Tesla builds them fast enough that a prospective buyer could have their own within a couple months?

Others have done this, Ijust don't know if it is worth the risk.

https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/reserving-model-3/

Reserving your Model 3

The Tesla Motors Team March 21, 2016

Along with the excitement and anticipation for Model 3, we know everyone has a few questions. Here are the details so that you know what to expect both on March 31st when reservations open and in the months ahead before you take delivery of your Model 3.

Reservations for Model 3 begin on March 31st worldwide. Reservation amounts in each currency can be found here. There are two ways to make a reservation. The first, which will allow you to get a better spot in the queue, is to visit your local Tesla store when it opens on March 31st. Find your closest Tesla store here. The second is to make a reservation online at Tesla.com when the live unveil starts at 8:30pm PT.

In order to be as fair as possible, there will be a different queue for each region. And as a thank you to our current owners, existing customers will get priority in each region, meaning that the fastest way to own a Model 3 is to own a Model S or Model X.

Model 3 production is scheduled to begin in late 2017. When production begins, we will begin deliveries in North America starting on the West Coast, moving east. As we continue to ramp production, we will begin deliveries in Europe, APAC and right-hand drive markets. It is not possible to ship to all regions simultaneously because regulators in each part of the world have slightly different production requirements. Staggering deliveries in this way also allows us to provide the best possible customer experience.

We recognize that everyone wants to get their Model 3 as quickly as possible. Our overarching goal is to maximize total customer happiness within the bounds of what is physically possible.

Tune in to the Model 3 unveil on March 31st at 8:30pm PT on Tesla.com. We can’t wait to show you what we’ve been working on.

Back