Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I read, the lawsuit against the door designer is not holding anything back production wise, as Tesla ended up doing their own thing quite a while ago since the door designer did not meet requirements. So while true they are suing someone, I don't think it has any bearing on current Model X manufacturing, or NOT manufacturing, as the case may be...

So if you pay $151,000 for a car (like this and almost all SigX owners did).. wouldn't you expect your car to work AS ADVERTISE on delivery day as promised?

Or, would you expect its doors to open half ass, or malfunction along with a list of 41 other bugs that are still being worked on and just pass it off as normal? :roll:

This of course is for a vehicle that was delayed and delayed countless times. :lol:

And the stock and TMC forums reflect that. You're just seeing the pretty stuff

The reason why you don't is because you don't own a Tesla or vehicle based on one and know of its issues :roll:

JasonA said:
So if you pay $151,000 for a car (like this and almost all SigX owners did).. wouldn't you expect your car to work AS ADVERTISE on delivery day as promised?

Or, would you expect its doors to open half ass, or malfunction along with a list of 41 other bugs that are still being worked on and just pass it off as normal? :roll:

This of course is for a vehicle that was delayed and delayed countless times. :lol:

The reason why you don't is because you don't own a Tesla or vehicle based on one and know of its issues :roll:
Deleted.

Just not worth it.

JasonA said:
2012 10kw Dual LQ cooled Brusa powered Leaf "Astro"
10kw Enphase System,SolarWorld Panels, QuickMountPV- ALL USA!! (just added another 3kw of SolarWorld's)
I fly drones and R/C..
2014 Rav4 "SuperRav" Now with JdeMO (CHAdeMO)

Where is your Tesla?

Otherwise anyone can hand pick some data.

It is a fact that an awful lot of very expensive Model Xs have been delivered with fit and finish issues that wouldn't pass muster on a Honda Civic, and have no business being present on a car costing upwards of $100k. Tesla is working through the problems and correcting them, but it appears that in their rush to get cars out to customers by the end of the year, QC went by the board. Personally, I'd be less concerned about the initial issues with the doors, which i expect they'll fix, than their likely poor long-term reliability.

JasonA said:

Not sure if this was directed at me. I don't know why my post would make you think I wouldn't mind a buggy car for $151k, as it would bother me plenty (I would be sick to my stomach about using money that instead should be spent on my kids education, my house, my retirement investments...). Or why I wouldn't expect the doors to open? Or why I would need to own a Tesla to be able to make some judgments about it?

However there is no reason to interject that a lawsuit is keeping Tesla from delivering Model Xs, as I haven't seen that actually indicated as a reason for slow production. If it is, a source for that would be better, as a response to my post, than the assumptions made about the motivation for my post.

Firetruck41 said:
I don't know why my post would make you think I wouldn't mind a buggy car for $151k, as it would bother me plenty

I suspect this case is a bit different than your average mass produced car in a few key areas:

1. I suspect that the folks who have Model X's now are among those wealthy enough that $151K to them is not the same as $151K to me (I can't speak for you, but statistically it's probably the same for you).
2. These folks are (and knew they would be) early adopters of the Model X, and they should have been more than aware of Tesla's track record of deliveries being delayed and early deliveries having had issues. Not an excuse per se, but if they were surprised in any way, then that's on them.
3. Tesla also has a history of making things right. So yes, while there may be issues with the car, I would be fairly confident that Tesla will address those issues, probably faster and better than a traditional manufacturer.
4. Tesla itself is a new company gaining experience with mass producing vehicles all the time, and as such it's not 100% fair to compare them with manufacturers that have existed for 100 years. Their strategy thus far has been to add a lot of complicated tech to their vehicles. You could take the view that they overcomplicated things and now have a crappy car and their customers will flee, but the track record shows otherwise. Not only are they are they currently making an EV that outsells all others, but they are doing it at a ridiculous price point and blowing away their competition, even in gas vehicles, at that price range. We can sit here and criticize them all we want, but their cars are and will likely continue to sell.

Said well, L. ;)

To bring it back to the Model 3, I suppose anyone making a reservation should expect a somewhat similar experience. It won't be as complex as the X, but it will still be the first run of them, new methods, new staff, etc.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Said well, L. ;)

To bring it back to the Model 3, I suppose anyone making a reservation should expect a somewhat similar experience. It won't be as complex as the X, but it will still be the first run of them, new methods, new staff, etc.
The problem with waiting to get on the reservation list to order the Model 3 is that the federal tax credit will likely begin to phase out in 2018. Wait for year to let the bugs get worked out, or order fairly early in the hope of getting the full $7500 tax credit? A lot of unknown variables in that decision.

My inclination is to put down the deposit on April 1st — already pretty far back in the queue since those in the stores can place reservations the day before — and see how things shake out in the following two years.

DanCar said:
That stubby hood won't be as aerodynamic as the Model S.
Actually a blunt nose is more aerodynamic, and all speeds below ~250MPH.

Here's an uncropped version:

CZrh1GEWEAAyZ59.jpg

As we're only a little over 3 weeks from the 'grand event day' for the upcoming Model 3 might want to post other info to this thread as it becomes available. From a few news sources; I'm seeing a general announcement on the 31st along with opening in-person (at Tesla stores) reservations followed by online reservations on April 1st (of course, that's April Fools' Day as well!! as others have noted).

I did see that in the last transportation budget that passed that the $7,500 EV Fed Tax Credit stayed in place for next year so will assume that the Model 3 (if indeed it launches in 2017) will qualify. Tesla may indeed 'de-content' the 'entry level' Model 3 at the $35K mark to meet that pre-announced sales price target but solely speculation based on the average selling prices for its S series.

After seeing the Chevy Bolt in-person at the Chicago Auto Show; I'm really interested to see what the stat's will be for another 'smaller' 200 mile range EV in this general price category. The Tesla S is a beautiful car by its own right so hopefully a 20% smaller car will be just as striking ... we'll see.

Checking with the local Tesla store sales people; they think more details won't come until a day or so before the 31st but perhaps others have heard something new?

Tesla indicates that Model 3 will be similar in size to an Audi A4, which is ten inches shorter than a Model S and 20 inches longer than a bolt. It looks like it will be less than 20% smaller in terms of exterior dimensions, but interior volume wise it may be that. Also Straubel indicated that it will look similar to the Model S.

Here is some speculation on the model 3 that I found of interest..http://www.teslarati.com/analyst-predicts-tesla-model-3-steel-construction/

So now with only a bit more than 2 weeks away; who plans to put down the $1,000 deposit, either at a Tesla 'store' on the 31st or online on April 1st for a Model 3 (or III or is that a sideways III)?

Tesla%20Model%203_-_RED%20LOGO%2002.png

tesla-model-3-via-kdwag.jpg

Although $1K isn't simply buying a lottery ticket cheap, it also isn't the $5K deposit they wanted for their upper end luxury models, plus its fully refundable anyway so count me in --- the local store here normally opens at 10AM but I'm not sure if they'll open earlier so as to offset the east coast time advantage --- still only speculation on the process but I've got the morning off anyway as I plan to spend a bit more time in a Tesla showroom; in case if any other MNL folks plan to do the same thing in Chicago (Highland Park) send me a PM.

I figure by the time this goes to production AND is ready in the Midwest (although perhaps they won't do their rollout like 'regular' car mfg's starting on the coasts and working towards the middle later) the earliest would be the end of 2017 or early 2018 when its about time for me to get serious about replacing my (by then) 6 year old LEAF (as mine is owned, no worries on lease terminating dates).

I've seen a poll/survey that most (55%+) early (those who have owned an EV for 4 years or more) adopters have been waiting for this car more so than the next gen LEAF (the 200 mile range one) or the new Chevy Bolt for perhaps not only its range but smaller footprint and tech that's found on their other models as of late at pricing close to what the LEAF came out for (some forget that the first gen had a MSRP of $37K+).

Anyone else ??

I really really want one but am holding off on putting a deposit because I really don't want one of the first couple thousand off the line. I'd rather wait until they get a few thousand cars out the door and initial issues can get worked out.

I'll be at our local store signing up on the 31st.

This is the "perfect" EV I have been waiting years for.
The efficiency of a Leaf, 200 miles of range, no dealers to mess with, and a nationwide network of superchargers that meets all my needs.

That said, I don't think any stores will open early as the in store reservations start at 10am Pacific time.
Employees may be early to get prepared.

I won't be camping overnight. I want to be early, but I don't care to be in the first couple thousand.

Tesla sent an email to Model S owners today to invite them to participate in a lottery to win an invitation to the Model 3 unveiling in Los Angeles on March 31. The email blast confirmed that the event will be fairly intimate, as we suspected, with only 800 people in attendance including the 650 owners who will be chosen through the lottery system.

The invites will be allocated at random in a drawing tomorrow March 16.

Tesla also confirmed that the public will be able to place reservations in Tesla’s retail locations starting at 10AM PT – 1PM ET. Online reservations will be available when the livestream of the event will start: 8:30PM PT – 11:30PM ET or 90 minutes after people invited to the event are told to show up.

Aside from the obvious logistic details, the most interesting information that Tesla shared is that it will prioritize Model 3 reservations for current Tesla owners over non-owners.

In the email, Tesla wrote:
“As a current owner who has supported Tesla and our mission, your reservation will take priority and be placed ahead of non-owners”

This news follows our exclusive report that Tesla also plans to prioritize Model 3 reservations for employees. It now adds up to two groups of people who will have priority on the Model 3 reservation queue.

http://electrek.co/2016/03/15/tesla-model-3-event-lottery-invites-go-out-to-tesla-model-s-owners-for-7pm-event-in-los-angeles/
http://electrek.co/2016/03/16/tesla-model-3-reservations/

Rebel44 said:
Tesla sent an email to Model S owners today to invite them to participate in a lottery to win an invitation to the Model 3 unveiling in Los Angeles on March 31. The email blast confirmed that the event will be fairly intimate, as we suspected, with only 800 people in attendance including the 650 owners who will be chosen through the lottery system.

The invites will be allocated at random in a drawing tomorrow March 16.

Tesla also confirmed that the public will be able to place reservations in Tesla’s retail locations starting at 10AM PT – 1PM ET. Online reservations will be available when the livestream of the event will start: 8:30PM PT – 11:30PM ET or 90 minutes after people invited to the event are told to show up.

Aside from the obvious logistic details, the most interesting information that Tesla shared is that it will prioritize Model 3 reservations for current Tesla owners over non-owners.

In the email, Tesla wrote:
“As a current owner who has supported Tesla and our mission, your reservation will take priority and be placed ahead of non-owners”

This news follows our exclusive report that Tesla also plans to prioritize Model 3 reservations for employees. It now adds up to two groups of people who will have priority on the Model 3 reservation queue.

http://electrek.co/2016/03/15/tesla-model-3-event-lottery-invites-go-out-to-tesla-model-s-owners-for-7pm-event-in-los-angeles/
http://electrek.co/2016/03/16/tesla-model-3-reservations/

Great info! In this case I'll change my strategy and go to the local store after lunch; if 'first in line' priority (and I do think that's the right thing to do) is for current owners and Tesla employees than a bit more doubtful we'll see any queues but who knows.

I think I will wait for some 2 year old CPO cars - I can easily buy base Model 3, but after adding expected price of SC access, AWD, larger battery pack, Winter Package etc. I would likely be around $50K + tax, which is too much for me.

Back