Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dgpcolorado said:
According to the latest from Elon Musk he hopes to reveal the Model 3 in March 2016 and begin production in "late 2017".

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/6/8562127/tesla-plans-to-unveil-its-35000-model-3-in-march-2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen :roll:

evnow said:
2018/19 is my guess.

2018 is realistic - with 2019 a distinct possibility.
Pretty much my guess as well. I've been planning on 2018 for some time.

Musk has indicated that he is aware of the reputation for delays and that he really wants to get the Model 3 out on time or close to it. Unlike the Model X.

Can't be soon enough for me: I sure would like to get rid of my ICEV and go to just one car, a pure EV. I am hoping that the ordering queue will open sometime in 2016. I also expect Tesla to front-load production with the more expensive models and that those of us who want the plain-Jane, inexpensive version will have to wait a bit. We shall see.

dgpcolorado said:
Can't be soon enough for me: I sure would like to get rid of my ICEV and go to just one car, a pure EV. I am hoping that the ordering queue will open sometime in 2016. I also expect Tesla to front-load production with the more expensive models and that those of us who want the plain-Jane, inexpensive version will have to wait a bit. We shall see.
Yes, they are definitely not for democratization - those with more money will always get theirs first.

I think volume production of lower end 2 will be in '19/20.

Infact I've been thinking that I can go thr' 2 more lease cycles before I can get hold of a Model 3 (if I do).

evnow said:
Yes, they are definitely not for democratization - those with more money will always get theirs first.
Tesla has been very shrewd in this regard. People who love buying all of the options, and who always want the latest and greatest, are playing a significant role in funding the EV revolution. On the other hand, for those of us who prefer to buy used, I'm happy to see Tesla's CPO program.

evnow said:
I think volume production of lower end 2 will be in '19/20.
It might come earlier. I expect the ramp-up to proceed much more quickly with the Model 3. Then again, as a small-time TSLA shareholder eager to see Tesla remain in business for many years, I'd prefer to see them allocate as much production to the higher-margin Model S/X as demand permits.

smkettner said:
At what production level will Tesla need a new assembly plant?
http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2009/07/high-cost-nummi-plant-on-chopping-block/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; said
The NUMMI plant, which has more than 5,400 employees, including 4,500 union members, has the capacity to build more than 420,000 cars and trucks annually.
Tesla bought the NUMMI plant after Toyota ended up shutting it down after GM pulled out.

BTW, if you never listened to the This American Life ep on the transformation of one of the worst GM plants that was closed then resurrected as NUMMI, if you like cars, you should really enjoy it. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11371" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

PatricioEV said:
My reasons why I think Tesla can produce Model III quickly (even though they haven't produced a model on time yet!)...
I hope that you are right. But coming out with any new car tends to lead to unforeseen problems that have to be solved as they crop up, even if Tesla won't be trying to invent falcon doors and fancy door handles for the Model 3. And it remains to be seen if battery production from the "Gigafactory" ramps up as scheduled.

dgpcolorado said:
PatricioEV said:
My reasons why I think Tesla can produce Model III quickly (even though they haven't produced a model on time yet!)...
I hope that you are right. But coming out with any new car tends to lead to unforeseen problems that have to be solved as they crop up, even if Tesla won't be trying to invent falcon doors and fancy door handles for the Model 3. And it remains to be seen if battery production from the "Gigafactory" ramps up as scheduled.

The ramp up of battery production won't delay the Model 3. At worse it will slow the ramp up of the Model 3, not delay the debut.
The biggest risk, IMO, is getting suppliers lined up.
They had a bear of a time getting suppliers to take them seriously with the S.
I'm hoping that is less of a challenge with the 3.

Mass production of an automobile is the most difficult industrial engineering challenge that exists. Absolutely nothing about it is easy or cookie cutter. It combines parts with very low error tolerances and huge volumes of same parts. Extrapolating from 10,000 cars a quarter to 100,000 is not simply turning turning the crank 10x as fast. The more volume you push, the more you exacerbate any minor defects in your process.

evnow said:
PatricioEV said:
My reasons why I think Tesla can produce Model III quickly (even though they haven't produced a model on time yet!)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/patri...6138.html?utm_hp_ref=technology&ir=Technology

"Mass market" and cost cutting brings its own challenges. They are not any less significant than fancy handles or falcon doors. Chances of Tesla releasing Model 3 "on time" is slim.

~20-30% less material in the car itself, going to a cheaper material, the cost of a smaller battery pack (which was generating strong revenue for them even in 2012), generating a non-luxury gross margin on each car, and leaving out or slimming down complicated features like the 17" touchscreen and door handles will, by itself, bring Model 3 costs in line.

This isn't an ICE. Other than the battery packs EVs are much, much cheaper to manufacture than ICEs, and I could very easily see Musk getting 200 miles of range on a $4-5k battery pack. Their utility battery packs are down to $250 per kwh and the Gigafactory is going to drop that even more.

eloder said:
going to a cheaper material

Steel is certainly cheaper than aluminum, but Tesla has never manufactured a car of steel before. There will be a learning curve. Hopefully they pull in / leverage the existing experience base to help reduce this overhead.

eloder said:
This isn't an ICE. Other than the battery packs EVs are much, much cheaper to manufacture than ICEs, and I could very easily see Musk getting 200 miles of range on a $4-5k battery pack. Their utility battery packs are down to $250 per kwh and the Gigafactory is going to drop that even more.

So by your math, $5k today would get Tesla a 20kWh battery. That will not even get them 100 miles, let alone 200 miles. Are you implying that Tesla can "very easily" cut the battery price by more than a factor of 2 via the Gigafactory?

Not only does Tesla view 30% cost cuts to its batteries as conservative, but Musk said during the second-quarter call that he would be "disappointed if it took us 10 years to get to $100 a kilowatt-hour pack."

Tesla is tossing around the 30% number as a conservative estimate. So that would be roughly $175/kWh. $100/kWh would be great, even if it did take until 2024. And that would give us our 200-mile Model III with a $5k battery.

But that story is different from eloder's "very easily":
eloder said:
I could very easily see Musk getting 200 miles of range on a $4-5k battery pack.

Granted, maybe he was also talking about the 2024 time frame, but that wasn't my impression given the context.

eloder said:
This isn't an ICE. Other than the battery packs EVs are much, much cheaper to manufacture than ICEs, and I could very easily see Musk getting 200 miles of range on a $4-5k battery pack.
LOL. You have drunk the Kool-Aid.

Math is simple: 200 mile car needs 50 kWh battery. At 100 bucks per kW that means 5 grand. 200 bucks per kWh is 10 grand.

Back