Official Mercedes B-class EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NeilBlanchard said:
The 2015 has a 10kW charger - nice!

The 2014 also has a nearly 10K charger. 240V X 40A =9600W. I charge at 32A and that is good enough for me. The Class B follows the J1772 protocol so it will charge at 40A or less.

GlennD said:
NeilBlanchard said:
The 2015 has a 10kW charger - nice!

The 2014 also has a nearly 10K charger. 240V X 40A =9600W. I charge at 32A and that is good enough for me. The Class B follows the J1772 protocol so it will charge at 40A or less.

All the current Tesla powered cars have an onboard 40 amp single phase charger (North American market... Europe uses three phase):

1) Tesla Model S / X and future Model 3
2) Toyota RAV4 EV (all years, 2012-2014.. production ended Aug 2014)
3) Mercedes B-Class ED (all years, 2014 and beyond)
4) All Tesla Superchargers use 12 of these 40 amp chargers at 230 volts (Europe) and 277 volts (North America)

40 amps * 250 volts = 10kW

Finally saw my first B-class today, a white one passing by (along with two Black LEAFs, a Model S ditto and a blue Fusion Energi as I sat in my audiologist's waiting area). I think I've now seen and ID'd (in the wild) at least one of all of the PEVs currently available, excepting the e-Golf. IMO it gives the e-Golf a run for the title of 'Most practical while most boring looking PEV' :D Not that its looks are very important; how well you can see out of it is more valuable, and it seemed to have good sightlines.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the B Class is very good looking. Certainly better than the RAV4 EV.
I am just happy to be back to an SUV again.

gsleaf said:
TonyWilliams said:
I got a metallic grey / brown leather yesterday, all options available.

Hi Tony, We had a Mercedes B-Class EV loaner while our Leaf was being fixed (someone rear-ended us at low speed). It was nice to have because it's an EV we were considering. The only major issue we had with it was that the glass for the front windshield was shaped funny so it gave my short wife (~5` tall) a headache looking through it. She said she felt like when you put on glasses that don't fit your prescription. Have you had any shorter people in the card and if so did they notice this at all?

My wife said she noticed it when we test-drove it but didn't mention it. Once she drove it she really noticed it.

I'm thinking it may have been that she didn't adjust the seat all the way up. We tried a 2015 today and she didn't notice the distortion. I think we may be leasing a B-Class since our Leaf lease is almost up.

That B-Class is mighty nice. Only thing holding me back is no CHAdeMO. I like being able to use all the AV stations for road trips. But even so, my wife and I are strongly considering it. How are the lease deals in Portland right now?

I've seen $300/month not sure how much down though. One dealer I went to had two other couples looking at the B class when we were there.

Here is one deal being offered locally (Valencia, CA):

36 Month Lease
$2499 Drive off
10,000 miles per year
Payment $289/ month plus tax

2015 B ED
761 Polar Silver $720
111 Black MB-Tex
P01 P01 Premium Package: Radar Based Recuper $2,690
877 : Multicolor Ambient Lighting
810 : harman/kardon Sound System w/Dolby 5.1
614 : Bi-Xenon Headlamps
536 : SIRIUS Satellite Radio
249 : Driver's Side & Interior Auto-Dimming Mi
232 : Garage Door Opener
B50 : Radar Based Recuperation With Paddles
320 320 Multimedia Package: COMAND® System w $2,480
815 : Single DVD Player for COMAND
531 : COMAND w/Navigation and Voice Control
502 : Navigation Map Updates included for 3-ye
218 : Rearview Camera
U71 : DVD Player/USA/Canada
736 Black Ash Wood Trim $325

SUBTOTAL $47,665
DESTINATION & DELIVERY $925
TOTAL $48,590

The Mercedes is nice. The GOM seems much more accurate. It has some really nice safety features,the ride is super smooth, it has run flat tires and with the expended range mode it can get 100 miles. Quick charging would be a very welcome addition for sure, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

gsleaf said:
Quick charging would be a very welcome addition for sure, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Any serious travel with a BEV, e.g. a large metro area, definitely requires a QC on-board capability.
Given the M/B's asking price, you'd think M/B would provide a QC capability. When you're at about
$50K for a BEV, might as well consider the Tesla MS 70.

lorenfb said:
gsleaf said:
Quick charging would be a very welcome addition for sure, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Any serious travel with a BEV, e.g. a large metro area, definitely requires a QC on-board capability.
Given the M/B's asking price, you'd think M/B would provide a QC capability. When you're at about
$50K for a BEV, might as well consider the Tesla MS 70.

Can you lease a Tesla for $300/mo?

Valdemar said:

So, hasn't helped M/B in 'moving' vehicles, i.e. one of the lowest BEV 'movers' with a YTD number of 652.
Even the VW Golf which isn't much better volume wise, out does M/B.

lorenfb said:
Valdemar said:

So, hasn't helped M/B in 'moving' vehicles, i.e. one of the lowest BEV 'movers' with a YTD number of 652.
Even the VW Golf which isn't much better volume wise, out does M/B.

One dealer I was at had three couples looking at one when I was there. The other dealer sold the blue one I was considering and only has one left. I just think they are making all that many. They are actually pretty decent cars.

It's still not out in the Midwest officially but taking a quick look at Autotrader, I found a 2014 B-class (being sold as a used one) with only 17 miles in Des Moines, IA of all places (about 300 miles from me) with a list of $51,608 marked down to $44,914; not quite the $7,500 tax credit but if someone REALLY can't wait its practically new --- as its listed as 'used' will assume the fed tax credit went to someone else (or mfg?) but no mention. IL dropped its 10% MSRP EV rebate so no incentive to not buy out of state ... if somehow you could still get the fed tax credit (i.e., never registered, bill of sale from dealer that says so, etc.) that would get it down to $37K

cd62d69b52094383ad26b22a8a005117.jpg

http://www.mercedesbenzdesmoines.co...e-silver-urbandale-for-sale-wddvp9ab2ej002166

LOW MILES - 17! JUST REPRICED FROM $51,608. B-Class trim. NAV, iPod/MP3 Input, CD Player, Alloy Wheels, Overhead Airbag. SEE MORE!

KEY FEATURES INCLUDE
Navigation, iPod/MP3 Input, CD Player. Rear Spoiler, MP3 Player, Onboard Communications System, Aluminum Wheels, Keyless Entry, Steering Wheel Controls, Rear Parking Aid.

Despite lack of QC option these are still quite nice and one of my favorites --- my '12 LEAF is still going fairly strong (borderline loss of its first 'bar' at just over 30K miles) so this one is still at the top of my list; anyone closer to Des Moines may want to check it out further

What do you all think the chances are that MB will put a quick charge port in the B-class in the future? We're looking at getting one, but it's a real bummer it doesn't have one.

gsleaf said:
What do you all think the chances are that MB will put a quick charge port in the B-class in the future? We're looking at getting one, but it's a real bummer it doesn't have one.

They would have to redesign the body panels to fit the oversized CCS port.

Chances of happening... near zero.

Back