Official Mercedes B-class EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cwerdna said:
EVDRIVER said:
A charge timer is a fundamental EV feature. This is a huge fail on their part, who was in charge of product development on this?
The Model S was missing it, initially.

There were many Tesla issues However don't expect a timer to appear later on the Mercedes.

EVDRIVER said:
cwerdna said:
EVDRIVER said:
A charge timer is a fundamental EV feature. This is a huge fail on their part, who was in charge of product development on this?
The Model S was missing it, initially.

There were many Tesla issues However don't expect a timer to appear later on the Mercedes.

Exactly. These compliance type cars are not in a continual update process like Tesla or LEAF.

For the 3 model years of the Rav4 EV, 2012-2014 (and all to be sold in two years), not a thing changed. But, they did make numerous firmware updates to fix broken things, including the charge timer that didn't work on the 31st day of the month, or didn't work after charging at 120 volts.

I expect we may see the Frankenplug added to Mercedes, but that's only because it should have already been designed to use it and it's nothing more than bolting in the receptacle. They could keep the costs down without offering it.

I will bet a whole bunch of money that we will see a B-Class Hydrogen car for model year 2018.

Tony I see on Fletcher Jones Mercedes site that they are looking for hydrogen fuel B beta people so I think you are right.

On a different note: They seem to me the only dealer offering a selection of B EV's. Too soon for me, let someone else fight the bugs.

Seen at a hotel charge station in Concord NH. Love the color. Nice car, but for an extra $20k, I'll stick with the LEAF for now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 55
I thought it was interesting that Consumer Reports disliked it so much. It will be interesting to see how this one does in the market, especially once it gets a nationwide rollout.

What vehicle are you referring to? CR has yet to test and report on the Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric Drive.

Bicster said:
I thought it was interesting that Consumer Reports disliked it so much. It will be interesting to see how this one does in the market, especially once it gets a nationwide rollout.

They haven't done their full evaluation, but they had this:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/09/mercedes-benz-b-class-electric-drive-brings-luxe-and-limitations/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While most electric cars are smooth, quick, and quiet, we found the B-Class feels dated compared with some others. Its 177-hp electric motor is quick enough, but the suspension is stiff, handling is ho-hum, the cabin not all that quiet, and with its tall stance, it has a tendency to rock side-to-side over bumps.

Since there have been instances in the past where their full test reached a different conclusion than their "quick glance", I tend to not read much in to any of those until they actually publish the full results... For example, they appeared not to know, at that point, that the MB dash efficiency display is a little wonky compared to everyone elses in that it displays efficiency in wall-to-wheels which gives a lower number, everything else being equal. Why MB choose to do this is anyone's guess...

Bicster said:
They haven't done their full evaluation, but they had this:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/09/mercedes-benz-b-class-electric-drive-brings-luxe-and-limitations/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TomT said:
For example, they appeared not to know, at that point, that the MB dash efficiency display is a little wonky compared to everyone elses in that it displays efficiency in wall-to-wheels which gives a lower number, everything else being equal. Why MB choose to do this is anyone's guess...

Isn't it the one that really matters?

I tend to dismiss everything Consumer Reports has to say. Some of the worst products I've owned were based on their recommendations. I just thought their lackluster first impression of this car was interesting. I would like it to do well. On the other hand, the market for short-range luxury vehicles is starting to feel crowded--at least in CARB states.

I walked around this car, and had no interest in driving it. The front cabin is less roomy than my Leaf's, from what I could tell. At least the BMW has a more open space that should seem less cramped while driving. In this sense it reminded me of the infamous PT Cruiser: cramped in the front, roomy in the back.

Not when you are interested in how much range you have left at a given efficiency and amount of battery energy remaining...

Valdemar said:
TomT said:
For example, they appeared not to know, at that point, that the MB dash efficiency display is a little wonky compared to everyone elses in that it displays efficiency in wall-to-wheels which gives a lower number, everything else being equal. Why MB choose to do this is anyone's guess...

I've driven it for an extended time and found it to be quite roomy for me in the driver's position. My wife preferred the passenger side of the MB to that of the Leaf, though she likes both and said she would be perfectly happy in either... She did comment, though, that both the MB front seats were better than the Leafs..

LeftieBiker said:
I walked around this car, and had no interest in driving it. The front cabin is less roomy than my Leaf's, from what I could tell. At least the BMW has a more open space that should seem less cramped while driving. In this sense it reminded me of the infamous PT Cruiser: cramped in the front, roomy in the back.

TomT said:
Not when you are interested in how much range you have left at a given efficiency and amount of battery energy remaining...

Valdemar said:
TomT said:

If that means range while driving at constant speed on a flat road I'd imagine the GOM would do a pretty good job of telling the range remaining.

I don't know about you but that is almost never what I encounter in my drives... Actual efficiency and charge remaining makes it easy to figure range.

Efficiency from the wall is basically worthless to the driver... Display it as part of the telematics if you like...

Valdemar said:
If that means range while driving at constant speed on a flat road I'd imagine the GOM would do a pretty good job of telling the range remaining.

I drove one at South Bay MB and the car drove beautifully. Powerful and quiet and overall very solid.

The drawbacks were the lack of QC, the dopey folding trays on the seatbacks that steal knee room, and the lack of a charge timer.

With some small mods I think MB has a winner with the B-ED.

TomT said:
I don't know about you but that is almost never what I encounter in my drives... Actual efficiency and charge remaining makes it easy to figure range.

Efficiency from the wall is basically worthless to the driver... Display it as part of the telematics if you like...

Valdemar said:

Is there a "kWh remaining" display? Even if there is, real efficiency is just a constant away...

mtndrew1 said:
I drove one at South Bay MB and the car drove beautifully. Powerful and quiet and overall very solid.

The drawbacks were the lack of QC, the dopey folding trays on the seatbacks that steal knee room, and the lack of a charge timer.

With some small mods I think MB has a winner with the B-ED.

Thought I heard they were going to add Frankenplug at some point.

It does have a 10 kW OBC. Not sure how many public stations can go that high. Around here, only a couple Clipper Creeks.

JdeMO for Mercedes B-Class ED

I would like to begin an interest list for folks with the Mercedes B-Class ED to add a DC quick charging to the Mercedes B-Class ED called "JdeMO".

FAQ's:

1) How fast will JdeMO be able to charge?

Answer: It will charge at approximately 400 volts DC and 125 amps, or about 48kW. That means that it can charge from 20% to 80% of the battery usable capacity in approximately 30 minutes.

2) What kind of chargers can I use?

Answer: You will still be able to use the existing J1772 plug for charging, and additionally will also be able to also use any CHAdeMO charge station anywhere in the world. You will not be able to use both at the same time.

CHAdeMO is commonly known as the same quick charger used for the Nissan LEAF, KIA Soul EV or Mitsubishi iMiev.

You specifically will NOT be able to use the Tesla Supercharger system, nor will it work at SAE CCS Combo1 chargers used by GM Spark EV, BMW i3 and Volkswagon eGolf.

3) Where are these CHAdeMO chargers located?

Answer: We recommend using http://www.PlugShare.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or http://www.chademo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to find a station.

4) Will JdeMO damage the car in any way?

Answer: No, If operating as designed. But, increasing the charge rate to any battery that has ever been designed in the history of mankind will likely shorten its lifespan.

5) Will it void my warranty?

Answer: It should not void any warranty, however we do not have control of how any auto manufacturer will likely handle a battery warranty claim. In all likelihood, any battery failure would likely be blamed on any product connected to the battery, no matter how unlikely it actually did damage. Therefore, each JdeMO sale will require a "hold harmless" agreement that indemnifies Quick Charge Power LLC from any claim. This may preclude JdeMO sales in the state / commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Federal law sets forth requirements for warranties and contains a number of provisions to prevent vehicle manufacturers, dealers and others from unjustly denying warranty coverage. With regard to aftermarket parts, the spirit of the law is that warranty coverage cannot be denied simply because such parts are present on the vehicle, or have been used. The warranty coverage can be denied only if the aftermarket part caused the malfunction or damage for which warranty coverage is sought. Disputes in this area usually boil down to arguments over facts and technical opinions, rather than arguments over interpretations of the law.
Like the Magnuson-Moss Act, vehicle manufacturers may not refuse warranty repairs under the Clean Air Acts performance and defect warranties merely because aftermarket parts have been installed on the vehicle. The only circumstance under which the vehicle manufacturer can void the emissions warranties is if an aftermarket part is responsible for (causes) the warranty claim.

Should something go wrong, the warranty provider will need to determine the cause of the problem. The Federal Trade Commission says, “The manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.” That means if the dealer can prove (the burden is on the dealer) the problem was caused by the wrong viscosity or a poor quality oil filter, your warranty can be denied. Warranty protection would still be in effect for other parts of the cars.

6) Will there be a warranty on the JdeMO?

Answer: All Quick Charge Power products offer a one year limited warranty.

7) Will it be possible to remove JdeMO on a lease return car?

Answer: Yes , but only by personnel specifically authorized in writing by Quick Charge Power.

8) Do I need to remove JdeMO to have normal service or maintenance performed?

Answer: Absolutely not. We specifically do not want you handling, modifying, repairing or in any way changing JdeMO except to recharge your car from a CHAdeMO charger. If you need to remove JdeMO for any reason, contact Quick Charge Power for instructions.

WARNING: HIGH VOLTAGE CAN KILL. DO NOT TOUCH, MODIFY, HANDLE, REPAIR OR CHANGE JdeMO IN ANY WAY.

9) Can I charge with a CHAdeMO charger and the J1772 plug at the same time?

Answer: No. On a somewhat related note, we anticipate being able to offer a dual onboard charger option in the future that can operate from two separate J1772 plugs, or two NEMA 14-50 outlets (with two JESLA's). It will add almost 60 miles additional range per hour of charging.

10) Can I install JdeMO myself?

Answer: Absolutely not. We specifically do not want you handling, modifying, repairing or in any way changing JdeMO except to recharge your car from a CHAdeMO charger. If you need to remove JdeMO for any reason, contact Quick Charge Power for instructions.

WARNING: HIGH VOLTAGE CAN KILL. DO NOT TOUCH, MODIFY, HANDLE, REPAIR OR CHANGE JdeMO IN ANY WAY.

11) Can my local Mercedes dealer install JdeMO?

Answer: Yes, with a properly EV trained technician.

12) How long will it take to install?

Answer: About one hour.

13) Will JdeMO be able to power my house through the CHAdeMO plug?

Answer: Yes, it will be compatible with CHAdeMO specification 1.0, therefore with appropriate external equipment, it may work.

14) I have heard that CHAdeMO in the future will be 100kW capable. Will JdeMO be able to charge at that rate?

Answer: No, because in order to get the full 100kW would require a 500 volt battery. Like most modern electric vehicles, the Mercedes B-Class ED uses a 400 volt battery, therefore the maximum charge rate would be 200 amps multiplied by 400 volts, or about 80kW. Additionally, we do not know if the plug will be the same.

15) Where will JdeMO be mounted?

Answer: It will all fit entirely under the hood. To charge, you will open the hood and plug in the CHAdeMO plug.

16) How much will it cost?

Answer: We believe the cost will be around $2000 - $3000, however no price has been set.

17) I heard that there may be an SAE - CCS Combo1 option from Mercedes in the future.

Answer: Mercedes is a signatory member to that standard, and they may provide that in the future. Currently, there are about two dozen of those stations in the entire USA. CHAdeMO has over 700.

18) Will you offer an SAE-CCS Combo1 adaptor in the future.

Answer: Absolutely not, for the reasons stated above.

To get on the JdeMO interest list, just send an email to:

JdeMO (aught) QuickChargePower.com

Please provide your:

1) Name:

2) City, state

3) Car model: Mercedes B-Class ED

4) Self identify if you are an existing QCP customer (JESLA, JLong, etc)

TomT said:
I've driven it for an extended time and found it to be quite roomy for me in the driver's position. My wife preferred the passenger side of the MB to that of the Leaf, though she likes both and said she would be perfectly happy in either... She did comment, though, that both the MB front seats were better than the Leafs... ......snip......
..... not that it takes a Herculean effort to accomplish that .....
:D

Back