Official Ford Focus Electric Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone else on another forum quoted this misleading article: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20111214/OEM04/111219936/1186" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ford took aim at its rivals, pricing the Focus electric at $32,495, including shipping. Ford has begun taking orders for the Focus electric and has begun building the cars at its Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne, Mich.

The Nissan Leaf is priced at $36,050, while the Chevrolet Volt is priced at $39,995, including delivery fees.

The Focus EV will also qualify for a federal income tax credit of up to $7,500. Buyers of the Leaf and Volt also qualify for tax credits.
Since I didn't know the FFE's price until I dug into it myself, after digging, I found that at http://www.ford.com/electric/focuselectric/2012/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, after clicking on Build & Price and the price is $39,995, including destination charge, making it more expensive than the Leaf.

I assume $32,495 is after the $7500 tax credit which the Volt and Leaf also qualify for.

TimeHorse said:
jimcmorr said:
FWIW... IMHO... If it has an internal combustion engine it is not a Battery
Electric Vehicle, it is a Hybrid.

FWIW... not in my opinion but some may find... if it's ICE can provide direct torque to the wheels in Mountain Mode, it's a hybrid.

Further yet, any vehicle that uses more than one source of power is a hybrid. If both, the electric motor and the ICE are linked to the wheels, then it is a parallel hybrid; if the ICE only generates electricity for the motor and the batteries, then it is a series hybrid.

amtoro said:
TimeHorse said:
jimcmorr said:
FWIW... IMHO... If it has an internal combustion engine it is not a Battery
Electric Vehicle, it is a Hybrid.

FWIW... not in my opinion but some may find... if it's ICE can provide direct torque to the wheels in Mountain Mode, it's a hybrid.

Further yet, any vehicle that uses more than one source of power is a hybrid. If both, the electric motor and the ICE are linked to the wheels, then it is a parallel hybrid; if the ICE only generates electricity for the motor and the batteries, then it is a series hybrid.

Timehource: So to you a F150 is a hybrid.. :lol:

Amtoro: Somewhat reasonable definitions (note you said uses, not can use), but somewhat problematic when a car has multiple modes.

But this is not really a thread for arguing about names, but since it wandered over there. Objects can have more than one label and labels form multi-rooted hierarchies. Cars that use some EV for driving are under EV. hybrid EV and BEV are subclassess of EV. Plugin HEV is a subclass of as HEV. EREV is a subclass of PHEV. Neighborhood electric vehicles (NEV) are subclass of BEV, etc.. At different points in time, some cars can be in different modes and at that time they are operating according to that label. When a car can be in EV mode for the full daily commute of 70% of the people it is, for them, acting primarily as EV. When they need longer range its a hybrid.

As I see it the FFE is prices to sell for ford fans, get a few CARB credits (selling HOV access) and otherwise sit. The Leaf is a better deal if one wants a BEV. Funny how much negative press the Volt got for its pricing, only to to have the FFE match it and the leaf approach it. The Focus price point, and the leaf's increase this year, don't provide enough advantages for non-urbanites (with their limited range they are just CEV, commuter electric vehicles). Unfortunately, only a Tesla's have enough range to be fully useful, but they are too very expensive (at least for me). I have to drive 150m today with no charging, guess I'll see all 4 modes in my EREV ;-). Better than renting an ICE which is what I'd have to do with an FFE

Herm said:
DeaneG said:
Looking good. I'll be cool to have three reasonable EV choices in 2012 - Nissan, Ford, and Tesla.
You forgot the Volt, PIP, Coda and the Karma.. plus a few test programs. Its raining BEVs and a couple of years ago people were still moaning about the EV1
I was talking only EVs, nothing with a "range extender" engine, gas tank, muffler bearings, etc.

Maybe my ignorance but it's hard to consider Coda as a reasonable choice for the masses. They don't seem to have the marketing to be anything but niche players. And I can't even google PIP.

evnow said:
It is interesting Ford is claiming 100 MPGe - remember Leaf has a 99 MPGe rating.

Yeah, I'm hopping Nissan will make a few minor adjustments (maybe aero tweaks) to bring the rating of the 2013 Leaf to over 100 MPGe and upgrade the charger to 6.6 kW. Actually, if the new charger is more efficient that may be sufficient to bump up their rating by itself. Then Ford will loose all bragging rights. :lol:

So remind me, why would anyone buy a an electric Focus... Oh right, it looks better. ;)

muus said:
Actually, if the new charger is more efficient that may be sufficient to bump up their rating by itself.
I think that is the main reason FFE has a slightly higher rating than Leaf (not sure if that figure is even official - though the rating may be completely self-disclosed by Ford rather than tested by EPA, anyway).

Herm said:
Nice video.. so the Focus is not vaporware then?

I got to sit in a pre production model and talk to the Focus electric marketing manager (Chad Darcy I think he said?) in Cary NC a few weeks ago. It's a little smaller than the Leaf but it felt solid (not an econobox). Should have had a list of questions for him but I didn't realize that anyone other than a dealer would be there, but he did mention that as far as he knew Magna was still involved with the project. Marketing wise I don't think I helped him when I told him that we were able to charge the Leaf off the 120V EVSE no problem for a month before we got our L2 EVSE installed. He also said that marketing wise they wouldn't be taking swipes at their competitors and as far as they're concerned, the more EVs out there the better. I took that to mean that Ford would be happy for others to do some trailblazing for them.

Have they stated how many they intend to produce in 2012? All I see is "a limited number" (only Nissan can produce infinity :) ). Also any updates on how many reservations and/orders they have gotten?

Ford has posted videos of the press event.

http://www.c-maxenergi.com/2011/12/ford-michigan-plant-press-event-video.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As we saw, Focus EV has 2 batteries. One below the rear seat and the other behind it.

Focus_battery.PNG

evnow said:
Ford has posted videos of the press event.

http://www.c-maxenergi.com/2011/12/ford-michigan-plant-press-event-video.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As we saw, Focus EV has 2 batteries. One below the rear seat and the other behind it.

I actually managed to stay awake through most of the two videos. Didn't really learn much I didn't already know. Ford seemed to think that the only customers would be dedicated environmentalists. I wish they could figure out that is not the case and could potentially reach a greater audience with their marketing.

I suspect the reason the Focus EV has two battery packs was to accommodate the existing body design of the ICE focus.

adric22 said:
I actually managed to stay awake through most of the two videos. Didn't really learn much I didn't already know. Ford seemed to think that the only customers would be dedicated environmentalists. I wish they could figure out that is not the case and could potentially reach a greater audience with their marketing.

I suspect the reason the Focus EV has two battery packs was to accommodate the existing body design of the ICE focus.
Ford has been rather opaque about the vehicles. It still hasn't disclosed even absolute basics like
- Range of Focus EV
- Battery capacity / EV Range of Energi

One thing extra I did get from listening to the recording was the Energi (and the Hybrid) will get more than 40 MPG in CS mode.

evnow said:
adric22 said:

Ford has been rather opaque about the vehicles. It still hasn't disclosed even absolute basics like
- Range of Focus EV
- Battery capacity / EV Range of Energi

One thing extra I did get from listening to the recording was the Energi (and the Hybrid) will get more than 40 MPG in CS mode.

evnow said:
In other words, in Charge Sustaining (CS) mode, Energi will get overe 40 MPG. This with more weight than the Volt. so clearly, Energi has a more efficient powertrain.
That is definitely good news - I had feared that the increased 14 gallon gas tank in Energi compared to 13.5 in the Hybrid meant that Energi owuld give less than 35 MPG.
I don't think we know if that over 40 MPG will be the EPA rating. Many many Volt owners have gotten over 40 MPG including myself. Also keep in mind that there have been reports that the Volt could have gotten much closer to 50 MPG but they were very concerned with the user experience and electric feel and sound (lack of) so they paid extreme attention to NVH. This has been discussed a lot by GM folks and is very clear by owners. (ie. my wife could not tell when it switched from CD to CS when we first drove the car!).

I'm quite curious about the Energi myself as I own other Fords and will want a 2nd plug-in electric vehicle in the next few years (and keeping the Volt).

Its possible, perhaps Ford will use an atkinson ICE and perhaps the simpler HSD type transaxle is optimized for the lower speeds of the EPA cycles but will be limited at higher speeds, at those speeds the Volt reconfigures its transmission for better efficiency.

Ford has produced 8 production electric Foci in 2011. Google has received the first one.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Google-Welcomes-First-Ford-Focus-Electric-244617.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just got back from CES. The Focus Electric has almost no cargo room due to the battery packaging. It's back seat is quite tight as well. Battery capacity is only 23kWh. They said the motor power was increased from 90kW to 107kW; but no mention of torque. I expect range to be less than LEAF. Here are some photos I snapped. I hope they loaded OK.

photostream

There is almost no cargo room. There is a cargo organizer; that is what the lid is for.

photostream

Tiny compartment under the cargo lid.

photostream

Storage for level 1 EVSE under the floor once you take the cargo organizer out.

This car would be useless for me. We couldn't even go grocery shopping with it.

From a FFE forum.

The only person who says he ordered an FFE ...

I have ordered the Ford Electric Focus. I have a signed order form 11/28/2011 with Ford order #0001. ( I do not know if that means it is the first Focus EV ordered from Ford or the first from my particular dealer.) Ordered from Schultz Ford in Nanuet, NY. Paid MSRP. White Platinum Metalic with Leather interior.

Anticipated delivery "late Spring"...

But now, hints of another delay ?

Dammit! Now the dealer that took my order is telling me it could be late summer or even fall before I see my vehicle. No explanation - no more info. Just the delay. I am frustrated.

ranss12 said:
Ford has produced 8 production electric Foci in 2011. Google has received the first one.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Google-Welcomes-First-Ford-Focus-Electric-244617.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When Smyrna comes on line at the end of this year, Nissan will be making that many Leafs at that factory every 30 minutes...
:lol:

Back