Official Ford Focus Electric Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
coolfilmaker said:
N1ghtrider said:
There was an interesting and lengthy Ford infomercial on TV today about all their "green" ways (vehicles and production techniques), including a segment on Focus EV, which falsely stated that it would be the first production vehicle to exceed 100 mpg equivalent. I have exceeded 145.5 mpg equivalent over the first 3 months and 2,450 miles in my Leaf.

Obviously they are talking about EPA measurements which give the leaf 99 mpge. The FFE is a more efficient car.

Mitsubishi I is 112MPGe.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/evsbs.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another LEAF owner told me the Redding CA Ford dealer doesn't sell the EF.

I looked for dealers, and none are within 175 miles of my home, in Shasta County.

http://www.ford.com/electric/focuselectric/2012/reservations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like "available in California" really means, it is only available for order, at a small minority of dealers, in the greater urban areas.

Anyone heard what any of those few sold are went for? Above or below sticker?

Translation of the report below:

Ford isn't interested in selling BEVs, and, by producing them in tiny numbers, it will lose so much money on each, it will not even advertise the cars, to keep sales as low as possible.

Pathetic.

Turns out, Ford will spend about a tenth of what it usually spends on new-model launches on the all-electric Focus and will shoot for a more digital emphasis in the process because of uncertainty over how the cars will sell, a company executive told Bloomberg Businessweek...

...Ford's electrified vehicle business is fundamentally different than some competitors, beginning with a strategy to electrify platforms – not one-off specialty models – realizing sales will grow over time and the need for flexibility to adjust production to demand as the market develops...

Ford will ramp up Focus Electric retail production in the first half of 2012 for dealership availability in California, New York and New Jersey. By the end of 2012, Focus Electric will be available in 19 markets across the U.S.

http://www.green.autoblog.com/2012/04/13/ford-focus-electrics-ads-going-online-because-evs-not-yet-read/#continued" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is interesting that a year ago the focus was a platform that they could put multiple options on.
Today, we don't have an EV of a Hybrid
I am disappointed, I thought ford was doing things right.
I am glad that I did not wait

Mx5racer said:
It is interesting that a year ago the focus was a platform that they could put multiple options on.
But don't you guys think Ford is watching the sales of all competitors and being cautious? We are talking pretty small numbers of sales for all competitors combined!

Worldwide Plugin Sales Stats : Mar US 579 Volt 2289, JP
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2883" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

scottf200 said:
Mx5racer said:
But don't you guys think Ford is watching the sales of all competitors and being cautious? We are talking pretty small numbers of sales for all competitors combined!

Worldwide Plugin Sales Stats : Mar US 579 Volt 2289, JP
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2883" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's disingenuous of you to imply, that BEV sales by the big three American vehicle manufacturers could be constrained by lack of demand, since, AFAIK, unless Ford has one or more Focus EVs on a sales lot somewhere, none of the big three, have ever built a BEV, and offered it for sale to an American private party buyer.

scottf200 said:
But don't you guys think Ford is watching the sales of all competitors and being cautious?
They were supposed to have started selling last December ...

It looks like Ford basically wants BEVs to fail. All their "not ready for prime time" is intended for only one purpose.

evnow said:
scottf200 said:
But don't you guys think Ford is watching the sales of all competitors and being cautious?
It looks like Ford basically wants BEVs to fail. All their "not ready for prime time" is intended for only one purpose.

http://www.plugincars.com/ford-says-focus-electric-sales-on-track-114094.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ford Defends Slow Rollout of Focus Electric
By Brad Berman · March 15, 2012
Ford says that sales of its first electric car, the Ford Focus Electric, are "on track." Green Car Reports reported that there have only been 10 sales of the Focus Electric since going on sale in December, a number that Ford has not confirmed.

"We are on track with the Focus Electric launch," said Wesley Sherwood, a Ford spokesman, in an interview with AutoBlogGreen. "We began by selling a small number of vehicles to a few fleet customers. We are now ramping up retail production to begin selling vehicles to retail customers in New York, New Jersey and California in the first half of this year. We then will expand sales to 16 other markets later this year."

Ford is taking a decidedly broad-based approach to vehicle electrification, in which it views pure battery electric cars on one end of the spectrum that includes conventional hybrids and plug-in hybrids. “Electric transportation is still expensive," Nancy Gioia, Ford's director of vehicle electrification, said in October 2009. “We cannot overpromise and underdeliver and hype this. Because what could happen is you damage the reputation of the technology.”

Last year, Ford Motor’s chairman Bill Ford expressed doubts that a ground-up electric vehicles would appeal to enough consumers. He worried that the company would need to put big incentives on a dedicated EV in order to “shove them out the door, somehow." The consistent message from Bill Ford, CEO Alan Mulally, and Ms. Gioia has been that Ford will produce as many Ford Focus Electric units as customers demand.
<snip>

Ford and Nissan are on completely different ends of the EV spectrum. Why anybody serious about EVs would spend their money with Ford is beyond me. Ford didn't even make the car; it's a conversion that was completely done by supplier Magna of Canada.

I'd let this car die the quiet death it deserves.

evnow said:
scottf200 said:

At least Ford started with a descent car for, its BEV conversion.

I expect the Spark, based on one of the cheapest cars in the GM world-wide production bin, may be a real BEV fright pig.

scottf200 said:
The consistent message from Bill Ford, CEO Alan Mulally, and Ms. Gioia has been that Ford will produce as many Ford Focus Electric units as customers demand.
<snip>
[/quote]
If they didn't spend a $100M advertising each of their models, their wouldn't be much demand for them either.

evnow said:
scottf200 said:
The consistent message from Bill Ford, CEO Alan Mulally, and Ms. Gioia has been that Ford will produce as many Ford Focus Electric units as customers demand.
<snip>
If they didn't spend a $100M advertising each of their models, their wouldn't be much demand for them either.
Cost is probably easier to justify to the Fleet managers since we know they genuinely look at long term cost/benefit ("spreadsheet") compared to the typical car buyer. Makes some sense they are using them to test the car initially. They can probably control the fixes and news easier with those.

Perhaps Ford did not get as many hand raisers as they hoped from the general public as well.

If the Ford Focus Electric fails/dies/dropped that will not look good to the public/investors for the other EVs, it would sure seem.

Perhaps Ford is letting Nissan use their marketing dollars to educate the general public. Technically the cars are pretty close on range.

Since they know Nissan is not going to production build LEAFs in TN until December (per Nissan in webchat) they also do not have to be in a "rush". Perhap Ford thinks the 2000 or less LEAFs+"i"s per month (based on history) is not going to impact their EV market and there may be dedicated Ford enthusiast that would not get "foreign" (non-USA headquartered) vehicle.

Disclosure: I'm a Ford fan and have owned one for most of my life. Reality is, tho, that I'm just reading the news articles, watching the many youtube videos, and seeing how *EVs have unfolded in the past few years. Really liked some of the assembly line Ford Electric videos.

P.S. Edatoakrun/Tony, you guys are still on my blocked list so I have not read your comments.

This is just from a couple days ago too which seems to indicate they are serious/promoting.

Ford sponsors reality show on Yahoo! to promote its new Focus Electric
By Charlie Morrison Fri, 04/13/2012 - 5:04pm EST
Ford and Yahoo! have announced a new reality competition series that will promote the launch of Ford’s new EV, the Focus Electric. The show will be broadcast on Yahoo! Screen (screen.yahoo.com), and will begin in May, coinciding with the Focus Electric’s launch in several US cities. Each episode will feature two-person teams competing to win one of the new plug-in Fords.

“Ford is launching the Focus Electric on Yahoo!, once again recognizing the power and reach of the Web as we continue to rely more on digital media,” says Ford’s Matt VanDyke. “The electric vehicle market will grow over time, so we electrified our popular small-car platform with a targeted online campaign instead of creating a one-off vehicle with huge ad budgets.”

The car itself will play a prominent role in the competition. Teams will use its SYNC feature to receive video, text and audio clues for the contest, and its navigation capabilities to find “best of” locations in each city. The show’s locations include<snip>

scottf200 said:
This is just from a couple days ago too which seems to indicate they are serious/promoting.
Just like those Jay Leno shows showed Ford was "serious".

If you are serious you won't make statements condemning the vehicle you plan to sell "seriously".

The ended the escape hybrid butt added an extended range fusion and boosted gas mileage across their entire line so they have economy in mind but going a different way

Now is that bad? The mileage boost did not come free. I am sure it took time and money to develop the improvemets. EVs is probably something they are still working on.

I am not a fan of revamping an existing gas model to electric

Back