Official Ford Focus Electric Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wiltingleaf said:
I put in an order for the FFE. Unfortunately, there are none available here in AZ. I'm hoping it will be here in a couple of months. I'll let you know what I think once it arrives. If I don't like it, I'm seriously considering a Tesla S. Just can't justify the price of the Tesla, but love it's look and design. I can't consider a lease as I put too many miles on my cars to do that. I had 23,100 miles on my leaf when it was repurchased by Nissan.

too bad you cannot finagle a RAV 4 EV. i think that is the next best deal after the LEAF. if i am going to forego quick charging, i need range that would eliminate most of the need to charge on the road. The FFEV doesnt have it.

GaslessInSeattle said:
TMS is an attraction that more potential EV owners will find relevant now and as soon as Ford includes a QC port, even frankenplug, even with no infrastructure, the car will suddenly be in the running, IMHO.

I used to think the SAE plug was the "frankenplug," but once you see the two plugs side by side I think it is fair to say ChaDemo doesn't look so good.

Chademo+and+SAE.jpg

Then you went factor in that the SAE combo plug will accomodate L2 and L3 without seperate ports, then the SAE plug really starts to look good.

NissanLeafCharger.jpg

ChargedUp said:
GaslessInSeattle said:
TMS is an attraction that more potential EV owners will find relevant now and as soon as Ford includes a QC port, even frankenplug, even with no infrastructure, the car will suddenly be in the running, IMHO.

I used to think the SAE plug was the "frankenplug," but once you see the two plugs side by side I think it is fair to say ChaDemo doesn't look so good.

Then you went factor in that the SAE combo plug will accomodate L2 and L3 without seperate ports, then the SAE plug really starts to look good.

One wonders if a dealership upgrade will eventually be offered to move the CHAdeMO DC to a new SAE L3 receptacle if the US like New York eventually decided apart from what we already have CHAdeMO is dead on arrival.

TimeHorse said:
One wonders if a dealership upgrade will eventually be offered to move the CHAdeMO DC to a new SAE L3 receptacle if the US like New York eventually decided apart from what we already have CHAdeMO is dead on arrival.
I think the solution that's been mentioned is a charging station upgrade. Presumably, the stations will have two plugs to support both standards. ABB supposedly had a demo unit, but I will believe it when I see it.

surfingslovak said:
TimeHorse said:
I think the solution that's been mentioned is a charging station upgrade. Presumably, the stations will have two plugs to support both standards. ABB supposedly had a demo unit, but I will believe it when I see it.

Actually, in my practical opinion before the SAE L3 takes over I think many East Coast LEAF owners are going to be clamoring for a TESLA-DC to CHAdeMO adaptor and maybe, just maybe, TESLA will make this market big enough that it may come to pass. (We'll only see it with volume.)

One wonders though if the boast that Mitsubishi dealerships are making about CHAdeMO in their showrooms is real. I really need to get out to one but my car's range just doesn't make that practical and without CHAdeMO it's not convenient so ironically if they did have CHAdeMO (the iMiev has a CHAdeMO port) they would have just what I need but because it's in the showroom under you can look but you can't touch if you drive a LEAF it's as good as nothing.

Doubt Tesla wants other drivers to use their superchargers. By making them exclusive to their new model(s) aren't they locking out others from using the free charging stations?

Philip

Tesla Supercharging stations are exclusive to 85 kWh Tesla owners, and 60 kWh owners that pay $2K extra up-front for the privilege. This is the Tesla definition of free road trip charging. ;)

By the way, there are better CHAdeMO nozzles. http://chademo.com/03_CHAdeMO_connectors.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow, we're off topic. :D

grommet said:
Tesla Supercharging stations are exclusive to 85 kWh Tesla owners, and 60 kWh owners that pay $2K extra up-front for the privilege. This is the Tesla definition of free road trip charging. ;)

By the way, there are better CHAdeMO nozzles. http://chademo.com/03_CHAdeMO_connectors.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow, we're off topic. :D
Not being able to try them all take it with a huge mound of salt, but I prefer the Sumitomo's design.

It seems like there are really good lease deals on Ford Focus Electric. I am getting prices of ~320 for a 15k a year 36 month lease in California with no money down.

That is about the same price as what I am getting for Nissan Leafs. When I see comparisons between the car, the only advantage the Leaf seems to have is that it is slightly cheaper. If they are the same price, then it seems like the FFE edges it out slightly with the quicker charging time?

thait84 said:
If they are the same price, then it seems like the FFE edges it out slightly with the quicker charging time?

Quicker recharge time on L2, you mean. Those of us with CHAdeMO on our LEAFs and convenient access to DCQC would probably prefer the latter under many circumstances. Another plus for the FFE though is thermal management of the battery pack.

On the minus side with the FFE, you have really restricted cargo space with 3 or more occupants in the vehicle. And I'm not sure what happens when you shift from D into L. I don't think you get anything extra in the way of regen, which makes the regen available by default pretty pitiful.

Michael has it nailed. i dont care if its 9.9 KW charging that is still an hour to get half a boost.

lemme tell ya about yesterday's driving. due to my "wonderful" job, i was finished with work at 10 AM (ya, i started THAT early!) because of a job at Seatac next week which requires several additional layers of security we generally dont have, i had to go to office in Tacoma to do paperwork, get pictures taken, etc...

so I QC'd for 13 minutes to boost enough to get me the 50 mile RT trip. also took advantage of the cabin preheat so it was very toasty warm.

so did that, got home did another boost at QC station for 8 minutes this time (only for like "driving around range" kinda like going to ATM for "walking around money" not sure what i will buy but just in case...)

came up with a situation that required me to run around getting picture taken again... filing paperwork for possible travel plans and whatever so finally got to point that I wanted to QC again just in case something came up at home (SO no work yesterday and things tend to come up a lot with her)

so back to Tumwater, charged for 13 minutes (would have been less but was in the middle of trying to facebook with new droid OS that was installed in the morning...)

and got home and sure enough was sent to Goodwill with car load of toys and soon as i get home, SO too tired to cook so back to Papa John's for pizza then back again to Walgreens to pick up prescription that had been ready since Sunday that she had forgotten about.

total mileage; 96.7 for the day.

i pulled into garage for the night and still had 30 miles on GOM just in case...

**edit**

just to add; total miles driven on Prius yesterday. 3.8 miles because SO took Son to school and LEAF was "occupied"

Ahh, you guys bring up good points. I haven't seen too many quick charge stations near me and my commute is near the edge of the range so I didn't want to quick charge since I read that accelerates battery degradation.

I like both cars, it just depends on whatever is cheaper for me.

thait84 said:
Ahh, you guys bring up good points. I haven't seen too many quick charge stations near me and my commute is near the edge of the range so I didn't want to quick charge since I read that accelerates battery degradation.

I like both cars, it just depends on whatever is cheaper for me.

ya, the relationship between degradation and the number of quick charge sessions has been a bit confusing since we still seem to receive mixed messages from the battery community and Nissan but i am here to dispel the myth and prove that heat is the issue whether you are quick charging or coasting down a hill in eco mode.

unfortunately my schedule does not allow me to quick charge every day but i plan to average at least one a day for a few months to see how badly my batteries degrade but will be doing in during winter...(this eliminates most of the heat question)

TonyWilliams said:
GRA said:
I'm personally very interested to see a large sample of Focus EVs sold in the Phoenix area ASAP; depending on how long the class action suit drags on, we may well have some rather interesting comparative stats by then (although the Volt is already providing some, but undoubtedly Nissan will claim that since it's a PHEV it doesn't count).

Tesla Roadster already has many summers in Tucson and Phoenix. They are doing well.
And - Ford's EV is liquid cooled anyway

hill said:
That doesn't mean the battery won't be impacted by extreme ambient temperatures, especially if you can't plug it in while in the heat. (In some scenarios, the car will ask you to plug in.) But yes, in theory... it will have a better chance.

grommet said:
hill said:
That doesn't mean the battery won't be impacted by extreme ambient temperatures, especially if you can't plug it in while in the heat. (In some scenarios, the car will ask you to plug in.) But yes, in theory... it will have a better chance.
Which is why I look forward to the data, especially if we can compare FFEs that plug in during the day to those that don't.

Ford's now offering $199/month leases on the FFE, at least at two Sacramento area dealers:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1080114_199-a-month-lease-on-2012-ford-focus-electric-matches-nissan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Leno-Focus-EV-and-Fusion-550x365.jpg

As previously reported, the 2013 Focus Electric I purchased has been periodically kicking out a “Stop Safely Now” message. Thankfully it likes to do this while sitting in the garage at home, and not out on the road somewhere. Power cycling would clear the message out… eventually. A small number of other cars are experiencing this phenomenon, and for those cars solutions were found.

In my case Ford replaced a cable, to no avail, and then the HV batteries and 12v battery, and it seemed to fix it, but then the message popped up once more. So some slide rulers from Michigan came down and installed a “black box” or as they put it a “flight recorder” so that they can have all the data from the car at the exact moment the SSN message is generated. In fact the flight recorder actually reports back via cellular modem in real time.

Predictably, since the flight recorder was installed no SSN message. Rather like a failing appliance that behaves perfectly when the $75/ hour repair man is standing there waiting for you to demonstrate “the problem.”

Shortly after the flight recorder went in, Lynn from the Ford Executive Offices contacted me, and said that Ford would like to buy my Focus Electric back and build me another car. She offered that I could get another Focus Electric or apply that value toward another model of my choosing. First thought, “man I wish I hadn’t just spent 8 hours clay barring and waxing that car.” Second thought, “that Fusion Energi is one sweet looking ride.”

I mean I wasn’t Jonesing for the Fusion Energi one bit, until that phone call, and suddenly I found myself wondering “how much gas would I burn in a Fusion Energi?”

http://insideevs.com/trade-the-focus-electric-for-a-fusion-energi/

Back