Official 2014 LEAF Brochure (car now at dealers!)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mirko

I went to a Nissan Dealer today for a DCQC and found a brochure for the 2014 LEAF! I've scanned all of the pages. They all can be found here...

http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/mirkop62/library/2014%20LEAF%20Brochure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are some of the highlights...

For some reason, the Canadian 2014 brochure went online first.

http://www.nissan.ca/content/dam/nissan/ca/request-brochure/en/2014/pdf/2014-nissan-leaf-en.pdf

It mostly looks like they just copied the US one, converting miles to kilometers.

However, there appear to be at least two oversights: In one instance they quote the now defunct EPA blended range (elsewhere they just cite the EPA 100% charge range of 135 km.) In another case, mention is made of DCQC being installed at dealerships, which isn't true at all in Canada.

Yes, nicely done mirko, thanks.

Berlino, while I'm happy that QCs have started showing up here, less than half the dealers got them, and in most places of course, they still don't have any. Of the half that did install one, only about half of those are reliable, in that you can't use them after hours, or in the worst cases, only for the dealership's customers. :roll: (might as well not have one)

Nissan only has a couple of years left to correct this, if they want to hold on to the advantage of being first to market

A couple of things that I find interesting.

The range is mentioned once in the small print in a light color on the back cover. "2014 EPA range of 84 miles."

I guess that Nissan is not aware that the number of charging stations reached 20,138 in May of 2013. They mention in two places. On the back cover in the FAQs it says... "The public charging network is expanding every day, with 20,000 stations expected to be in place by 2015.

original.jpg

mirko said:
A couple of things that I find interesting.

The range is mentioned once in the small print in a light color on the back cover. "2014 EPA range of 84 miles."

I guess that Nissan is not aware that the number of charging stations reached 20,138 in May of 2013. They mention in two places. On the back cover in the FAQs it says... "The public charging network is expanding every day, with 20,000 stations expected to be in place by 2015.
Well, those plugshare maps include outlets, not just actual charge stations, based on the ones listed for my area (I put a couple of them in myself). And a lot of the DCFC stations on the map are the Tesla Superchargers, which are useless for a LEAF. While there is a sizable increase in charge stations over the last couple of years there are fewer than listed on those maps.

Thanks for posting the brochure.

Looks like the 13 & 14 are exactly the same?

Except that the rear back-up camera is standard equipment now?

I just went by the AutoNation Delray Beach Nissan dealership and they have TWO 2014s in stock! I think that they were S models. They were in the service department so I didn't get to see them.

Too bad the SL model only has black leather interior. It would have been nice to have a light color option as well.

Yep, and that is because of the upcoming Federal law requiring all vehicle to have backup cameras... Oh, and the removal of the 80% charge option so that they could scam the EPA test...

Lasareath said:
Looks like the 13 & 14 are exactly the same?
Except that the rear back-up camera is standard equipment now?

Oh, and the removal of the 80% charge option so that they could scam the EPA test..

I have no inside info as to the battery chemistry, maybe someone out there does. Anyway, I attended the Scottsdale Town Hall Meeting and heard Andy Palmer speak. Based on the problems that they had with the Phoenix batteries and their promise to have a new battery formulation, I can't imagine that they would invite another battery problem by removing the ability to charge to 80% if it was at all deleterious. Remember, their "below nine bar replacement" within 60,000 miles doesn't just include heat problems.

Nissan has been wrong before and made some fairly poor calls in the past so I'm not yet willing to give them that much credit without credible proof...

ERG4ALL said:
Based on the problems that they had with the Phoenix batteries and their promise to have a new battery formulation, I can't imagine that they would invite another battery problem by removing the ability to charge to 80% if it was at all deleterious.

Apparently the thing about losing 80 percent is only issue if you like to store car for extended periods. The 100% Charge was never a problem unless you left it sitting at that SOC for a long time...

What I'd like to know is... What do they consider a long time?

I have set my End Timer to 7AM to charge the car every AM before I need it. But how bad is it if I am sick... don't drive the car to work that day and it sits in the garage... fully charged with no where to go... is that terribly bad... moderately bad what?

Otherwise I don' t think I'd miss the feature much.

Also the battery should be better balanced between the cells now.

Monitoring the state of cell balance with both my Lincomatic and Battery App Pro, I have never seen any appreciable difference in balance between a 80% and a 100% charge...

jsongster said:
Also the battery should be better balanced between the cells now.

jsongster said:
Apparently the thing about losing 80 percent is only issue if you like to store car for extended periods. The 100% Charge was never a problem unless you left it sitting at that SOC for a long time...

rest snipped.
The 80% charge is particularly good if you live on a hill. If you charge to 100% you car has no regen so I don't get any benefit coasting downhill. More importantly the 'B' setting starts out the same as 'D', not slowing the car when you ease off the accelerator. This means your car drives differently taking your foot off the accelerator when you first start than after you've driven 10mi. I find that REALLY annoying, if not dangerous.

If they've really removed the 80% timer and still haven't added an automatic timer override option when you're at home, that's yet another reason not to downgrade to a new LEAF IMHO. Yes, until they improve range and continue to keep bad features (only dark leather seats, light glare-causing dash, crappy small button GUI on touchscreen, manual timer override, ...) while removing [what I find are] good ones (80% timer option, decent all weather mats, reduced acceleration in D, ...) I will consider the new model a downgrade.

Sometimes I wonder who Nissan gets their user feedback from, can't be from this forum...

Agreed!

Once again, Nissan, if you want to make such a change, do it the way that Tesla did!

padamson1 said:
The 80% charge is particularly good if you live on a hill. If you charge to 100% your car has no regen so you don't get any benefit downhill.

Interesting how the MPGe has gone from 115 MPGe for the MY2013 down to 114 MPGe for the MY2014. I guess that Nissan didn't remove the 80% charge option to "scam the EPA test", or do you need more "credible proof" TomT?

TomT said:
... Oh, and the removal of the 80% charge option so that they could scam the EPA test...

Nissan has been wrong before and made some fairly poor calls in the past so I'm not yet willing to give them that much credit without credible proof...

Thanks, mirko!

Did you get a look at or a picture of the US vs. non-US content sticker on the '14 Leaf?
mirko said:
Interesting how the MPGe has gone from 115 MPGe for the MY2013 down to 114 MPGe for the MY2014. I guess that Nissan didn't remove the 80% charge option to "scam the EPA test", or do you need more "credible proof" TomT?

TomT said:
... Oh, and the removal of the 80% charge option so that they could scam the EPA test...
Notice the EPA driving range has gone "up" from 75 to "84" miles?

cwerdna said:
Thanks, mirko!

Did you get a look at or a picture of the US vs. non-US content sticker on the '14 Leaf?
mirko said:

TomT said:
Notice the EPA driving range has gone "up" from 75 to "84" miles?
My assumption is the MPGe number went down slightly due to the removal of the 80% option, in a roundabout way. Charging always to 100% means less regen available, and lower efficiency when you start driving (I've always found this very obvious on the occasions I charge to 100% instead of 80%). Thus, when the 100%-charged Leaf runs the test, it comes out to a slightly lower overall efficiency number compared to the previous data (90% charge).

Back